1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sgoodman

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby sgoodman » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:21 pm

It's unhealthy that I was legitimately disappointed to find that my property prof hadn't posted grades between 11:00 when I checked last night and 10:00AM today.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:55 pm

0LNewbie wrote:It's unhealthy that I was legitimately disappointed to find that my property prof hadn't posted grades between 11:00 when I checked last night and 10:00AM today.

Yeah, our grades are supposed to be out on the 25th or so, but that hasn't stopped me from checking at 3 am on Sunday, Jan. 8th.

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:57 pm

I'm so nervous. It sounds like everyone here seems to have thoughts on how they did - I have no idea. I felt really good overall about property, and pretty good overall about torts, and decent about contracts. The problem is, I have no idea how anyone else felt. We were barely taught contracts so everyone was freaking, and I taught myself decently so I was confident - then I got to the exam and everyone seemed really confident about what they had taught themselves - that freaked me out. I needed some people to know nothing at all lol. I have no idea what the curve is going to be because no one seems stupid. School comes easy to me but I found law school studying difficult because most practice exams don't have answers so you are dependent on working with a group and seeing what they get in their answers - I'm a terrible group studier and also a fast worker, so I joined a very good group but I couldn't do the 12 hour days for 3 weeks. Idk - I mean I don't feel like I was struggling, but I have no idea how i did and I'm panicking because idk if my merit aid is tied to it and I'm afraid to ask - hopefully I did well enough it's not even an issue.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:08 pm

smscat wrote:I'm so nervous. It sounds like everyone here seems to have thoughts on how they did - I have no idea. I felt really good overall about property, and pretty good overall about torts, and decent about contracts. The problem is, I have no idea how anyone else felt. We were barely taught contracts so everyone was freaking, and I taught myself decently so I was confident - then I got to the exam and everyone seemed really confident about what they had taught themselves - that freaked me out. I needed some people to know nothing at all lol. I have no idea what the curve is going to be because no one seems stupid. School comes easy to me but I found law school studying difficult because most practice exams don't have answers so you are dependent on working with a group and seeing what they get in their answers - I'm a terrible group studier and also a fast worker, so I joined a very good group but I couldn't do the 12 hour days for 3 weeks. Idk - I mean I don't feel like I was struggling, but I have no idea how i did and I'm panicking because idk if my merit aid is tied to it and I'm afraid to ask - hopefully I did well enough it's not even an issue.

Totally agree. I feel very confident about my performance on 2/3 of my exams, but it seems everyone else felt good about them too, so who knows how grades will shake out. That's the annoying thing about law school...even if the whole class is smart and has a good grasp on the material, somebody (a lot of somebodies) still has to get that D (or whatever the lowest grade is in law school).

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:14 pm

HWS08 wrote:
smscat wrote:I'm so nervous. It sounds like everyone here seems to have thoughts on how they did - I have no idea. I felt really good overall about property, and pretty good overall about torts, and decent about contracts. The problem is, I have no idea how anyone else felt. We were barely taught contracts so everyone was freaking, and I taught myself decently so I was confident - then I got to the exam and everyone seemed really confident about what they had taught themselves - that freaked me out. I needed some people to know nothing at all lol. I have no idea what the curve is going to be because no one seems stupid. School comes easy to me but I found law school studying difficult because most practice exams don't have answers so you are dependent on working with a group and seeing what they get in their answers - I'm a terrible group studier and also a fast worker, so I joined a very good group but I couldn't do the 12 hour days for 3 weeks. Idk - I mean I don't feel like I was struggling, but I have no idea how i did and I'm panicking because idk if my merit aid is tied to it and I'm afraid to ask - hopefully I did well enough it's not even an issue.

Totally agree. I feel very confident about my performance on 2/3 of my exams, but it seems everyone else felt good about them too, so who knows how grades will shake out. That's the annoying thing about law school...even if the whole class is smart and has a good grasp on the material, somebody (a lot of somebodies) still has to get that D (or whatever the lowest grade is in law school).

Exactly. I don't feel I did poorly, but it seems neither does anyone else. So who is wrong? On property, I did spot some things others did not, so that makes me feel good. On Torts, it seemed so obvious I'm wondering what I missed. On contracts, we didn't learn anything, so I think I got close but who the hell knows? Oddly, most people seemed most confident about contracts, which I felt not as great about. I don't know. As I'm typing this I realize I can't remember the torts exam or the issues - I hope I didn't zone out on that one completely because I didn't think it was a difficult subject, but was pressed for time despite finishing way early on other exams.

Redzo

Postby Redzo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Out of my 4 finals, only 1 of them turned out how I expected. I got my worst grade on the one I was most confident about, and my best grade on the one I was least confident about.

I'm not going to try to predict anything anymore.

smscat

Postby smscat » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 pm

Redzo wrote:Out of my 4 finals, only 1 of them turned out how I expected. I got my worst grade on the one I was most confident about, and my best grade on the one I was least confident about.

I've heard similar things, which is why I'm freaking out. I have a friend who is very bright, same LSAT as me, very focused, harder worker than me, although things come easier to me than to her. She took a summer course in torts and got a C after thinking she did great - it's freaking me out because she's bright and not a slacker. Other attorneys have told me they were so wrong about their predictions. It's so scary.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:26 pm

Redzo wrote:Out of my 4 finals, only 1 of them turned out how I expected. I got my worst grade on the one I was most confident about, and my best grade on the one I was least confident about.

One thing has indicated to me that I may have done the best on the exam on thought I did worst on. Quite the mind fuck.

Sapientia

Postby Sapientia » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Whoops, posted in the wrong thread.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Flips88 wrote:

One thing has indicated to me that I may have done the best on the exam on thought I did worst on. Quite the mind fuck.

I'm just hoping I did well enough that I can take my grades and smack my CLR prof with them and say, "See I'm not an idiot, you're just a horrible teacher!"

Full of fear that the grades will confirm her impressions that I'm an idiot!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:18 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I'm just hoping I did well enough that I can take my grades and smack my CLR prof with them and say, "See I'm not an idiot, you're just a horrible teacher!"

I love our CLR prof. Our median is like an 85-86% and the highest possible grade is like 92.5-93.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I love our CLR prof. Our median is like an 85-86% and the highest possible grade is like 92.5-93.

All ours gave back was the memo w/ comments in margins, no grades at all...so we're just left to speculate how much we tanked it in relation to the class...I can't begin to express my disdain for her.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm

homestyle28 wrote:All ours gave back was the memo w/ comments in margins, no grades at all...so we're just left to speculate how much we tanked it in relation to the class...I can't begin to express my disdain for her.

Wow. that's sounds awful. Hopefully she gives most of the class B+s to be nice. I think/hope our curve will end up a few As, handful of A-s, 20 B+s, and a few Bs.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm

Flips88 wrote:

Since the grades you get depend not on how well you do in absolute - they depend on how well you do relative to your classmates, it really shows how arbitrary law student performances are (not how law school exam grading is).

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Since the grades you get depend not on how well you do in absolute - they depend on how well you do relative to your classmates, it really shows how arbitrary law student performances are (not how law school exam grading is).

I don't see how anyone could say that it's necessarily one or the other. Certainly could be any combination of either, though.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:33 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:
Dany wrote:Just want to reaffirm my consistency and say that I still don't want grades. Life's still awesome. Where's Paulina to back me up?

Just watched Contagion, now onto The Dark Knight for the third time. No plans tomorrow. Fate not yet sealed. I love my life.

:arrow: barf

akili

Postby akili » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:32 pm

I only have LRW back and it's about what I expected (not good).

Now I'm just hoping the rest of my grades are good enough to balance that out. Ugh.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

akili wrote:I only have LRW back and it's about what I expected (not good).

Now I'm just hoping the rest of my grades are good enough to balance that out. Ugh.

lol section C

If it helps, I know three people who have grades putting them in the top quarter (two in Section B, so they're totally done), all of them got Bs in legal writing.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:55 pm

Hannibal wrote:

lol section C

If it helps, I know three people who have grades putting them in the top quarter (two in Section B, so they're totally done), all of them got Bs in legal writing.

Do you guys normally talk about grades?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Hannibal wrote:

lol section C

Do you guys normally talk about grades?

I didn't plan on it, but one of them just started talking about it. Kind of went on from there.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:59 pm

Our administration was like, "WE DON'T TALK ABOUT GRADES HERE." I assume people still will...I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks :x

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Xifeng wrote:Our administration was like, "WE DON'T TALK ABOUT GRADES HERE." I assume people still will...I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks :x

We've been on complete lockdown within our section, more or less. I'm impressed, to be honest.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 pm

D'Angelo wrote:
Xifeng wrote:Our administration was like, "WE DON'T TALK ABOUT GRADES HERE." I assume people still will...I guess we'll find out in a couple weeks :x

We've been on complete lockdown within our section, more or less. I'm impressed, to be honest.

I don't intend to tell any fellow law students at my school my grades, but roommate will probably have an idea from the volume of my tears and the volume of alcohol I immediately consume.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:53 pm

I've only kind of talked to one person about grades so far. He's my best friend at school and we were gchatting when grades came up online, so it was pretty natural of us to talk about them. I talked about whether I was happy/disappointed, and he then told me he got a B in one class and that he thought he'd be around median or a little lower. I wouldn't have had a problem telling him my grades, but I felt kind of awkward because I didn't really know how to respond with how I did without making him feel shitty about his performance. Instead I just gave words of encouragement, advice, etc, and tried to talk about something else. I hate how law school is making me super awkward.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”