1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby 23402385985 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 am

I fucking hate this shit. January 25th I get them all at once. FML.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:27 am

Got an A on the test I thought I did worst in (Contracts). So far I have 2 B+ and an A. I'm still waiting on my Legal Practice grade. GPA is 3.667 with a 2.8 median. Hopefully that is top 10% or so?

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:45 am

A12345 wrote:Got an A on the test I thought I did worst in (Contracts). So far I have 2 B+ and an A. I'm still waiting on my Legal Practice grade. GPA is 3.667 with a 2.8 median. Hopefully that is top 10% or so?

top 10% would be a conservative guess. considering median is 2.8 and yet your school's B+ is worth 3.5, i would guess maybe top 5%? hard to tell for sure, though.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 am

Lasers wrote:
A12345 wrote:Got an A on the test I thought I did worst in (Contracts). So far I have 2 B+ and an A. I'm still waiting on my Legal Practice grade. GPA is 3.667 with a 2.8 median. Hopefully that is top 10% or so?

top 10% would be a conservative guess. considering median is 2.8 and yet your school's B+ is worth 3.5, i would guess maybe top 5%? hard to tell for sure, though.

I guess the reason our pluses are worth .5 is because they don't give out minuses. good luck everyone!

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:43 am

how is your gpa a 3.67 with two b+s and an A?

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:19 am

dreakol wrote:

If his school counts B+'s as 3.5 (i.e. give only B's and B+'s, no B-'s), then it would be a 3.667

rli66

Postby rli66 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:50 am

C and B- so far. Is this the end of the world?

Due to some family problems, I probably read less than 5 cases for each class all first semester. I do expect the rest of my grades to be better but so far it's not looking good. 3.2 mean and I need to be in Top 40% to keep my full scholarship.

A12345

Postby A12345 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:05 pm

nmcdgt wrote:
dreakol wrote:

If his school counts B+'s as 3.5 (i.e. give only B's and B+'s, no B-'s), then it would be a 3.667

This guy has it correct.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:18 pm

Got all my grades but one, which is a quarter of my grade. I'm not over-concerned with it since I think I did well and I was right in that thought in my other classes, but annoying since B+, A-, or A all change my GPA by .1 ...

Professor has a good reason for not getting the grade in early (technically grades weren't supposed to come out until Monday), but waiting for just one is a bizarre feeling. Kind of like sitting there while the Novicaine has taken effect but before the Oral Surgeon pulls the tooth.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Got all my grades but one, which is a quarter of my grade. I'm not over-concerned with it since I think I did well and I was right in that thought in my other classes, but annoying since B+, A-, or A all change my GPA by .1 ...

Professor has a good reason for not getting the grade in early (technically grades weren't supposed to come out until Monday), but waiting for just one is a bizarre feeling. Kind of like sitting there while the Novicaine has taken effect but before the Oral Surgeon pulls the tooth.

Congrats on the good performance. Get a A+ next?

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Got all my grades but one, which is a quarter of my grade. I'm not over-concerned with it since I think I did well and I was right in that thought in my other classes, but annoying since B+, A-, or A all change my GPA by .1 ...

Congrats dude. Btw, I was messing around trying to figure out what my possible GPA could be when the final grade comes out but I'm mathematically challenged I think. Don't we just add up the grade points and divide by 16? When I was plugging possibilities in for the last grade it was changing my GPA by like .01 which isn't right.

Edit: Also, so all we basically know is the top 10% cutoff and approximately where median is?

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Well, I received all of my grades back this week. I'm an evening student so I only get 3 grades:

Contracts: A-
Civ Pro: A
LAWR: A-

I’m elated grade-wise. I took a pretty relaxed approach to exam prep and I’m glad it worked out for me. Each is equally weighted so that leaves me with a 3.78 and well within the top 10%.

But it also leaves me with a couple of tough (but in a good way) questions. I work in a law office full-time during the day and for the last 2 years my boss has been essentially grooming me to take over his client list when he retires 5 years from now. Practice consists of what most on this site refer to as “shit law”, not the most intellectually stimulating work but he does very well financially. This option is pretty much guaranteed, my boss is like my second father and I truly value our relationship and everything he has done for me.

However, I decided when I started law school that I wanted to give a solid effort (although I’m not sure I gave it my 100% this past semester) so that I would have other options just in case I didn’t want to follow in my bosses footsteps. Now that grades are in I’m thinking more and more about those other options. I have an interview for an SA position at a large firm in my school’s market which I got through a connection at the firm I worked at before coming to my current employer.

I realize that I am extremely blessed to have these options, but I’m really confused about what path I want to take and it seems as though I need to make some decisions pronto. Just wondering what the thoughts of others would be if they were similarly situated.

Sorry for the long post.

tl;dr: got good grades, now what? Inherit a relatively lucrative poopy law practice but with risk associated with going solo and dealing with ungrateful inpatient clients for the rest of my career, or begin to take steps to make myself marketable and utilize my connections for some kind of corporate gig. Also, I’m at a T2 with pretty good placement within my market. Born and raised here with no intentions of leaving.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:06 pm

ephemeral.bete.noire wrote:Well, I received all of my grades back this week. I'm an evening student so I only get 3 grades:

I’m elated grade-wise. I took a pretty relaxed approach to exam prep and I’m glad it worked out for me. Each is equally weighted so that leaves me with a 3.78 and well within the top 10%.

But it also leaves me with a couple of tough (but in a good way) questions. I work in a law office full-time during the day and for the last 2 years my boss has been essentially grooming me to take over his client list when he retires 5 years from now. Practice consists of what most on this site refer to as “shit law”, not the most intellectually stimulating work but he does very well financially. This option is pretty much guaranteed, my boss is like my second father and I truly value our relationship and everything he has done for me.

However, I decided when I started law school that I wanted to give a solid effort (although I’m not sure I gave it my 100% this past semester) so that I would have other options just in case I didn’t want to follow in my bosses footsteps. Now that grades are in I’m thinking more and more about those other options. I have an interview for an SA position at a large firm in my school’s market which I got through a connection at the firm I worked at before coming to my current employer.

I realize that I am extremely blessed to have these options, but I’m really confused about what path I want to take and it seems as though I need to make some decisions pronto. Just wondering what the thoughts of others would be if they were similarly situated.

Sorry for the long post.

tl;dr: got good grades, now what? Inherit a relatively lucrative poopy law practice but with risk associated with going solo and dealing with ungrateful inpatient clients for the rest of my career, or begin to take steps to make myself marketable and utilize my connections for some kind of corporate gig. Also, I’m at a T2 with pretty good placement within my market. Born and raised here with no intentions of leaving.

Take the clients to the biglaw firm and become partner as a result? Sounds alright to me. You already have a book of business that you can market yourself with.

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:13 pm

adonai wrote:
ephemeral.bete.noire wrote:Well, I received all of my grades back this week. I'm an evening student so I only get 3 grades:

Sorry for the long post.

Take the clients to the biglaw firm and become partner as a result? Sounds alright to me. You already have a book of business that you can market yourself with.

Not really the kind of clients you'd take with you to most biglaw firms. I wish they were because that would be perfect.

lsdream

Postby lsdream » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:22 pm

ephemeral.bete.noire wrote:
adonai wrote:

Sorry for the long post.

Not really the kind of clients you'd take with you to most biglaw firms. I wish they were because that would be perfect.

My two cents - base your decision on what interest you most - what's excites you. If you are not interested at the thought of taking over your bosses firm, I suggest you be honest with yourself. Financial success is important - but it is not what matters most.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:34 pm

orderofthings wrote:

Congrats dude. Btw, I was messing around trying to figure out what my possible GPA could be when the final grade comes out but I'm mathematically challenged I think. Don't we just add up the grade points and divide by 16? When I was plugging possibilities in for the last grade it was changing my GPA by like .01 which isn't right.

Edit: Also, so all we basically know is the top 10% cutoff and approximately where median is?

It's not a straight weighting. You multiply the grade points you get for your grade (e.g. B+ = 3.33) by the credits for the course (e.g. Civ Pro, 3). Take the sum of all such weighted values, and divide THAT total by 16. That's your GPA.

r6_philly wrote:

Congrats on the good performance. Get a A+ next?

Haha, yah I guess that's the goal. I obviously don't think I got that in Con Law, I just figure based on my performance in my other classes and how I think I did on con-law, I think I couldn't have done worse than a B+.

ephemeral.bete.noire

Postby ephemeral.bete.noire » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:53 pm

lsdream wrote:
ephemeral.bete.noire wrote:
adonai wrote:

Sorry for the long post.

My two cents - base your decision on what interest you most - what's excites you. If you are not interested at the thought of taking over your bosses firm, I suggest you be honest with yourself. Financial success is important - but it is not what matters most.

You're absolutely right. I have the full picture of what one option entails and absolutely no clue with regards to the other. I just wish I had full knowledge of what each choice would have in store for me before having to make decisions... but most things are never that easy.

Thank you for the responses.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:14 pm

edit- deleted some quotes because of site limitation on number of allowed nested quotes.

Wait, don't get ahead of yourself, all you have is an interview. Wait and see what happens. You have some good grades for one semester, but right now you only have one solid career option. Do not blow the sure thing you have for an interview, or even for a number of interviews. You don't know you will get a 1LSA for sure. You don't know what might happen next semester. You don't know what firms might be willing to hire evening students - some firms have real bias agains part-time students because they feel the grading is easier.

I wish you the best. I'm naturally cautious, my advice is that you can't blow a sure thing in this legal market for the possibility of maybe getting something else.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:35 pm

I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of those of you who have even one grade. Classes start up again on Monday and we don't get our grades for another week or two. In UG I was never the type to obsess over when grades were being released, but for some reason it is really bugging me now. I'd love to know if I should keep doing what I've been doing, change my approach, or just drop out before I start the next round of classes. I also feel like it's holding up my job applications because most employers want to see grades. Annoying.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

HWS08 wrote:I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of those of you who have even one grade. Classes start up again on Monday and we don't get our grades for another week or two. In UG I was never the type to obsess over when grades were being released, but for some reason it is really bugging me now. I'd love to know if I should keep doing what I've been doing, change my approach, or just drop out before I start the next round of classes. I also feel like it's holding up my job applications because most employers want to see grades. Annoying.

I never obsessed over them since (1) everything was graded by scantron, so there was like a 1-2 day turnaround, and (2) there weren't literally millions of dollars at stake over two semesters worth of grades.

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:51 pm

NYC Law wrote:
HWS08 wrote:I have to say, I'm pretty jealous of those of you who have even one grade. Classes start up again on Monday and we don't get our grades for another week or two. In UG I was never the type to obsess over when grades were being released, but for some reason it is really bugging me now. I'd love to know if I should keep doing what I've been doing, change my approach, or just drop out before I start the next round of classes. I also feel like it's holding up my job applications because most employers want to see grades. Annoying.

I never obsessed over them since (1) everything was graded by scantron, so there was like a 1-2 day turnaround, and (2) there weren't literally millions of dollars at stake over two semesters worth of grades.

Yep, I think that's the reason. It's going to be a rough week to two weeks until I get these back. I need to go drink.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:13 pm

This x100. Our profs don't need to submit until Jan 25th and grades will likely be posted Feb 2nd. I'd like to know how I did so I can adapt for this semester, but mostly I'm pissed about jobs. Career services swears getting grades in Feb. won't make a difference, but how can it not if they can look at other people's a month earlier than mine? Too annoyed to even drink.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 pm

Just want to reaffirm my consistency and say that I still don't want grades. Life's still awesome. Where's Paulina to back me up?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 pm

Dany wrote:Just want to reaffirm my consistency and say that I still don't want grades. Life's still awesome. Where's Paulina to back me up?

I'll back you up. The time between finals and grade release is the most glorious time in the world.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:19 pm

Dany wrote:Just want to reaffirm my consistency and say that I still don't want grades. Life's still awesome. Where's Paulina to back me up?

Just watched Contagion, now onto The Dark Knight for the third time. No plans tomorrow. Fate not yet sealed. I love my life.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”