1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
JoeFish

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:43 am

And, for what it's worth, it's in the field I want to go into. So, again, really happy.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:46 am

JoeFish wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:So glad the wait is over. Even though I am ecstatic with my grades (2 As and a B), it is completely ass backwards. Got the worst grade in the class I thought I had kicked ass in, and got the good grades in the class I thought I screwed up and the class I had no idea about.

Very similar. The whole time there was one class I expected to do very well in, one I thought could go either way, and one I had absolutely no effing idea how to study for, especially burned out as I was after already taking 2 exams. A+ in the last one. Still did well in the first two, but the A+ was outright shocking.

Dude, that's awesome. Congrats. If I had seen a + in front of any of those A's, I think I would have had a heart attack. Not to jinx anything, but does the + mean you cali'd the class?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 am

Benchslapme wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Benchslapme wrote:Silver: Stay strong, bro. Section C still waiting for its fate: No grades yet

Whereas Section B has every grade but LRW. Ridic.

I know!! I keep thinking the gunners in my section C wrote 30 pages exams, making it impossible for the Profs to finish the grading.
Ps. What are the people in LRW doing? it's been more than a month.

I initially figured Section C would get their grades first, since yall had essay tests where a lot of you left early. I figured Torts would take a while though, as from what I've heard of Seymour, he probably finished grading, then felt guilty about having graded them all while drunk on wine, then graded them again.

And I think the LRW professors all release their grades at once, so maybe there's one or two instructors holding it up.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:55 am

I don't think it does necessarily; one of my profs says she gives out 2 A+s... don't know how this prof does it. Congrats on the As!

Benchslapme

Postby Benchslapme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:16 am

Hannibal wrote:
Benchslapme wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
Benchslapme wrote:Silver: Stay strong, bro. Section C still waiting for its fate: No grades yet

I know!! I keep thinking the gunners in my section C wrote 30 pages exams, making it impossible for the Profs to finish the grading.
Ps. What are the people in LRW doing? it's been more than a month.

I initially figured Section C would get their grades first, since yall had essay tests where a lot of you left early. I figured Torts would take a while though, as from what I've heard of Seymour, he probably finished grading, then felt guilty about having graded them all while drunk on wine, then graded them again.

And I think the LRW professors all release their grades at once, so maybe there's one or two instructors holding it up.

Lol at Seymore's routine. All the waking at 2:Am does not help with grading I guess.
I don't know how people manage to finish early with these exams; I could use at least 30more minutes for each. Good to know what's holding LRW,I bet it's my Legal writing instructor, very lazy gal.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:57 am

So jelly of all of you with grades.

Not only do we not have any grades yet but the link where we can see when profs post grades is broken.

And the wait goes on...

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:21 am

chitown2626 wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Where's all the Illinois 1ls at?

is there somewhere with the cut-offs for rank at illinois?

This was the curve last year after first semester. Your class might be a little different since it's smaller, but I doubt it.

Top 10% cut-off: 3.66
Top 15%: 3.66
Top 20%: 3.55
Top 25%: 3.55
Top 1/3’s cut-off: 3.44

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:48 am

I don't think I'm going to get any more sleep for a while. Now I'm terrified waiting for the rest of my grades since I actually have something to lose.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:49 am

I'm starting to freak out more and more as I wait for my grades. Now that I have my LAWR grade, I keep calculating possibilities for the others in a GPA calculator and am working myself up... This is taking entirely too long.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:00 am

Jessuf wrote:also, my school's grades are 4.0, 3.75, 3.5, 3.25, 3.0, and so on. this weirds me out, and i would almost prefer letter grades.

Mine uses a 9 point scale:

A+=9, A=8, B+=7, B=6, C+=5, C=4, D+=3, D=2, F=0; no, there are no minuses.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:26 am

bendtheslurry wrote:
alicrimson wrote:Well, my grades will probably be up soon. One teacher likes to tell students if they booked the class before grades come out and apparently my boyfriend did. He studied maybe twelve hours in December for the exam 2-3 days before the test. Genius, that one. Very happy but also wish my brain worked like that. :lol:

That teacher also posted a breakdown of all the grades... Theres 1 C... It's probably mine......

No way. I'm betting its "axe" (ask) girl. Her pen probably ran out of ink...

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:47 pm

JoeFish wrote:Got the worst grade in the class I thought I had kicked ass in, and got the good grades in the class I thought I screwed up and the class I had no idea about.

This tends to happen to me too. Based on my mortal fear of failing Contracts, I am fully expecting an A+

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:49 pm

NYC Law wrote:I don't think I'm going to get any more sleep for a while. Now I'm terrified waiting for the rest of my grades since I actually have something to lose.

Yeah.. I wish we got all of our grades at the same time. The waiting is sooo much worse now that we have some grades back.

HushYoDissents

Postby HushYoDissents » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:56 pm

A in torts. I have no idea how. Do professors actually read the exams?

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:31 pm

HushYoDissents wrote:A in torts. I have no idea how. Do professors actually read the exams?

If I'm lucky, no. Maybe the visiting ones or younger faculty members who want to make sure they dot all their is and cross all their ts, but my crim law professor, who did two sections last semester, has over 200 exams to read. Granted, he has a month and a half, but still. Also can't blame the guy for making it half multiple choice

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:02 pm

A- in lwr! LWR isn't factored into our GPA, it just is noted next to it or something.. still super happy since I got a B+ on my first memo. One more grade to come in, I am literally not going to stop refreshing every 5 minutes until I get it.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 pm

ilovesf wrote:A- in lwr! LWR isn't factored into our GPA, it just is noted next to it or something.. still super happy since I got a B+ on my first memo. One more grade to come in, I am literally not going to stop refreshing every 5 minutes until I get it.

Damn you are killing it!!!! Congrats!!!

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:06 pm

congratulations to everybody!

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:13 pm

ilovesf wrote:A- in lwr! LWR isn't factored into our GPA, it just is noted next to it or something.. still super happy since I got a B+ on my first memo. One more grade to come in, I am literally not going to stop refreshing every 5 minutes until I get it.

Awesome work sf. Good to see the hard work is paying off. Well done.

bport hopeful

Postby bport hopeful » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Got my first grade in today. Beyond disappointed. Ill be having a discussion with this prof. Prolly wont do any good though.

letsdoit

Postby letsdoit » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Benchslapme wrote:

I'm one of those lucky Section B people just waiting for LRW. Do any of you Vandy kids know what the median GPA is (I don't completely trust Wikipedia on this question). I'm sitting around a 3.52 but don't know exactly what that means for my future employment chances.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:08 pm

bport hopeful wrote:Got my first grade in today. Beyond disappointed. Ill be having a discussion with this prof. Prolly wont do any good though.

Try to wait til you get them all back to draw any broad conclusions. But yeah, LS sucks.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 pm

For those of you who have received grades, how far in advance of your school's grade submission deadline did you receive them? My profs have 2 more weeks before they're required to submit--so should I expect to wait that entire time?

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:34 pm

Cade McNown wrote:For those of you who have received grades, how far in advance of your school's grade submission deadline did you receive them? My profs have 2 more weeks before they're required to submit--so should I expect to wait that entire time?

Illinois's were officially due out on the 9th, and they came out on the 4th.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Killing it! Keep up the great work!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”