1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Kendi

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Kendi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:10 pm

+1 Extremely perceptive

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:11 pm

I never understood this sensitivity re: sharing grades. If someone asks you, and you want to share...tell them. It really doesn't matter. It's not your medical records or your social security number. I'm not saying broadcast it on Facebook, but this unnecessary caginess is childish and stupid.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm

Kendi wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Kendi wrote:
Grizz wrote:People on TLS often seem to assume that a certain level of grades entitles you to a certain level of vault or NLJ250 firm. It doesn't work that way; it's not like law school admissions.

Fascinating. How does having top grades or making LR not help? And if IT doesn’t work that way, how does IT work?

Are you illiterate or are you misinterpreting what he said on purpose?

Difficult to misrepresent a cut and paste quote.

You desperately need to find someone to read the threads for you, and then explain it to you.

Yeah you definitely misinterpreted what I said. Top grades and LR from elite schools will make you competitive for basically any firm. But there is so much else at play; you're not just gonna waltz into Cravath by having a certain level of top grades.

Kendi

Postby Kendi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:42 pm

Grizz wrote:Yeah you definitely misinterpreted what I said. Top grades and LR from elite schools will make you competitive for basically any firm. But there is so much else at play; you're not just gonna waltz into Cravath by having a certain level of top grades.

Be honest Grizz, you have never seen me waltz! HNY!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Kendi wrote:
Grizz wrote:Yeah you definitely misinterpreted what I said. Top grades and LR from elite schools will make you competitive for basically any firm. But there is so much else at play; you're not just gonna waltz into Cravath by having a certain level of top grades.

Be honest Grizz, you have never seen me waltz! HNY!

Do I even want to see you waltz?

a/s/l??

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Kendi wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
Kendi wrote:
Grizz wrote:People on TLS often seem to assume that a certain level of grades entitles you to a certain level of vault or NLJ250 firm. It doesn't work that way; it's not like law school admissions.

Fascinating. How does having top grades or making LR not help? And if IT doesn’t work that way, how does IT work?

Are you illiterate or are you misinterpreting what he said on purpose?

herp derp

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:09 pm

MrKappus wrote:I never understood this sensitivity re: sharing grades. If someone asks you, and you want to share...tell them. It really doesn't matter. It's not your medical records or your social security number. I'm not saying broadcast it on Facebook, but this unnecessary caginess is childish and stupid.

I agree if by the bolded you are referring to the discussion of competition and whatnot that went on above. However, my declination to answer a question about my personal information is absolutely not caginess. It's simply my choice whether to share or not.

Kendi

Postby Kendi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Grizz wrote:Do I even want to see you waltz?

Of course. Just drop over to the Cravath lobby someday. Waltzing with the moon over Miami in the background!
--ImageRemoved--

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:19 pm

MrKappus wrote:I never understood this sensitivity re: sharing grades. If someone asks you, and you want to share...tell them. It really doesn't matter. It's not your medical records or your social security number. I'm not saying broadcast it on Facebook, but this unnecessary caginess is childish and stupid.

I think it's about taking other people's feelings into consideration. I would never ask anyone else because I wouldn't want to embarrass anyone by asking that question (if they did very well or very poorly it could be embarrassing). I hope to be treated with the same amount of respect.

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:08 pm

I disagree. It's directly relevant to career trajectory and financial stability, so it's like discussing how much your mortgage is compared to how much you make, and how you put together the down payment. Which is fine, if you're comfortable talking about it, but you're surrounded by law students, some of whom didn't do well, and some of whom won't be as comfortable talking about it, and discussing it openly puts pressure on them.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:20 pm

in theory you shouldn't post it here either then! even if you know that nobody here knows you...

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Everyones mad in this thread.

--ImageRemoved--

law students busy at work.

Although it provides a good distraction from impending doom that will arrive soon--whether someone does or does not rub their success/failure in my face.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:38 pm

thesealocust wrote:
crit_racer wrote:I don't get why there is so much hypersensitivity about grades. Obviously understand how important they are, but I don't really get why it matters if other people know you did well/poorly. In undergrad, if I didn't do well on a test and someone asked I'd just be like "yeah, i totally fucked that up" and laugh it off. Why should this be any different?

I feel like all these social dos and donts of law school actually provoke the competitive, ultra serious atmosphere.

In undergrad, grades were based on how well you did on an exam. In law school, grades are based on how everyone else did on the exam.

In undergrad, many career paths after school don't depend on grades and many people have uncertain goals. In law school, grades are the most important factor to short-term employment prospects.

In undergrad,anybody taking on debt did so aware that career prospects - and even desires - were uncertain. In law school, most are drowning in debt and relying on getting a job.

The most important is probably #1. The curve plus the bizarre nature of law school exams means grading and competition is a circular firing squad. It's my least favorite aspect of the whole thing.

If you can't piece together why this is true, you're probably a law student. You might recover from that disease in a year or two or you might not, but never forget that you were called out on it now, and when you find it difficult to maintain personal relations and engage in normal human behavior in the future, please remember that you were warned.

LMAO. I have never heard that analogy for it. I'm using that.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:32 am

just found out our grades are in for one class...but the registrar doesn't open until wednesday afternoon! this is going to be excruciating...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:39 am

D'Angelo wrote:just found out our grades are in for one class...but the registrar doesn't open until wednesday afternoon! this is going to be excruciating...

Try to wait until they are all in. Trust me brah. The emotional rollercoaster sucks.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:42 am

Grizz wrote:
D'Angelo wrote:just found out our grades are in for one class...but the registrar doesn't open until wednesday afternoon! this is going to be excruciating...

Try to wait until they are all in. Trust me brah. The emotional rollercoaster sucks.

i'm doing a horrible job of waiting until the first one is in! it's the class I felt the best about so I can just give up if it's not good, maybe

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:39 am

It sucks, because it will never get better than this holiday break--where we have no exams to worry about and where we can pretend that we're exceptionally good at the law cuz we have no grades to bitchslap us back to reality.

Of course.. unless you end up top 10% like I will probably be (of the bottom 5% of the class) in which case life will be bottles and models with no anxiety or worries EVER!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:10 am

I can't figure out how low of expectations to set. Law school grading really blows.

Justice Humper

Postby Justice Humper » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:12 am

I cannot take the grade wait much longer.

Kirk

Postby Kirk » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:06 am

Apparently, certain schools release grades this week or next. Then there are schools that do not release grades until the second week in Feb (after tuition is paid for the second semester).

Will your grades be released before or after the beginning of the second semester?

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:02 pm

Justice Humper wrote:I cannot take the grade wait much longer.

+1

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Kirk wrote:Apparently, certain schools release grades this week or next. Then there are schools that do not release grades until the second week in Feb (after tuition is paid for the second semester).

Will your grades be released before or after the beginning of the second semester?

it sounds like most of our grades come in before the beginning of the semester! most professors do not pass the deadline by too long...

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 pm

Flips88 wrote:I can't figure out how low of expectations to set. Law school grading really blows.

did you get any grades back yet?

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Pretty sure ours come out after tuition deadline for next semester.

I am also pretty sure they hold them as they come in and will release them all at once.The deadline for profs to return grades isn't even until the third week or so of January.

apparently that is a worthless day in class (the day grades come out), as everyone just sits there hitting refresh every 34 seconds on their laptops. I don't think I'll be checking in class, in case I need to sob hysterically or something.

Justice Humper

Postby Justice Humper » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:46 pm

After tuition deadline?

I'm dropping out if the rest of my grades don't come out a certain way, so I'm glad ours come out before.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”