1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm

who wants to decide how late into the spring semester we can go before checking grades???? im thinmking i dont even want to know until march because by the time i get my grades back, itll be too late to get a full refund on the spring tuition bill allready

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:35 pm

thesteelers wrote:I feel for you guys. Right now I'm grateful my school doesn't release grades until mid-January. My holiday is safe.

+1 My school releases grades so late. Wish they didn't however, kind of puts me behind on the job search. Some employers will probably have spots filled by the time we get grades back. :x

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Screw this game :x

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:35 pm

So far I've managed to avoid thinking about grades almost at all. No grades dreams, no long worried periods of self-doubt, nothing. Playing Skyrim for like 10 hours/day has helped, as has the early and unfightable certainty that I'm going to do poorly and worrying won't help.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:53 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:So far I've managed to avoid thinking about grades almost at all. No grades dreams, no long worried periods of self-doubt, nothing. Playing Skyrim for like 10 hours/day has helped, as has the early and unfightable certainty that I'm going to do poorly and worrying won't help.

I admire this. So far my worrying has only been limited to the subconscious in the form of pretty frequent stress dreams.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:20 pm

Despite knowing we will absolutely not get any grades until at least the first week of class, I keep checking my grades. Why can't this silliness end?

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 pm

I want my grades right meow. Why do school staff get the entire week off?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:06 am

i'm not even sure how to check my grades at this point. i think i should keep this information from myself for as long as possible

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:09 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:i'm not even sure how to check my grades at this point. i think i should keep this information from myself for as long as possible

Oooooh, this.

orderofthings

Postby orderofthings » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:38 am

I didn't believe grade dreams were possible...then it happened to me. Needless to say, it wasn't pleasant. The weirdest part was I was trashed when I went to bed. My drunk mind is such a damn troll.

CactusPuppy

Postby CactusPuppy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:51 am

orderofthings wrote:I didn't believe grade dreams were possible...then it happened to me. Needless to say, it wasn't pleasant. The weirdest part was I was trashed when I went to bed. My drunk mind is such a damn troll.

Yeah. I never had dreams about school...until 1L.

I really wish my profs would hurry and post these grades.

Dale

Postby Dale » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:49 am

When grades are released, then what?

If below median, throw in the towel and/or. . . ?

If median, claim a “survived” victory and . . . ?

If grades are good, but not law review good, figure that is a big plus because. . . ?

If grades are very good, join law review, resend job apps with a breaking news happy dance, and what else . . . ?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:26 am

Haymarket wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:So far I've managed to avoid thinking about grades almost at all. No grades dreams, no long worried periods of self-doubt, nothing. Playing Skyrim for like 10 hours/day has helped, as has the early and unfightable certainty that I'm going to do poorly and worrying won't help.

I admire this. So far my worrying has only been limited to the subconscious in the form of pretty frequent stress dreams.

This. I am apparently grinding my teeth in my sleep again :|

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:37 am

Dale wrote:When grades are released, then what?

If below median, throw in the towel and/or. . . ?

If median, claim a “survived” victory and . . . ?

If grades are good, but not law review good, figure that is a big plus because. . . ?

If grades are very good, join law review, resend job apps with a breaking news happy dance, and what else . . . ?

1. Depending on school, drop out

2. Depending on school, seriously think about dropping out, but if not - go over every exam with your professor, figure out exactly what you did wrong and try to do better next semester

3. Figure out what you did wrong (maybe you can talk to professors but maybe not. Profs probably won't talk to you if you got an A-) and try to do even better next semester

4. Celebrate but then realize you have to work even harder next semester to maintain your GPA. Your grades will be so good that even if you used to say "I don't know if I even want BigLaw" you will now justify to yourself why you will be happy doing it, and then you will be deathly afraid of losing it.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:04 pm

some of us still maintain that we're not going to do biglaw at all, even if these grades are good enough to even consider it...

in_reverie

Postby in_reverie » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:55 pm

If below median, dropping out probably is the wisest course...except I really have no Plan B career-wise. My liberal arts undergrad degree really left me with no other option than graduate school.

Also, for those of you likely without grades until mid-January, are you applying for jobs now and then just forwarding a transcript later? I didn't know if that was acceptable, or if it just depending by the job.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:04 pm

Had a dream last night that I re-took the LSAT to try and transfer for my last semester.

What the actual fuck, thesealocust's brain.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:27 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Haymarket wrote:

This. I am apparently grinding my teeth in my sleep again :|

Starting having that issue in November for the first time. :-\

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:53 pm

in_reverie wrote:If below median, dropping out probably is the wisest course...except I really have no Plan B career-wise. My liberal arts undergrad degree really left me with no other option than graduate school.

Also, for those of you likely without grades until mid-January, are you applying for jobs now and then just forwarding a transcript later? I didn't know if that was acceptable, or if it just depending by the job.

Applying for jobs now. If they request a transcript, I am forwarding it later.

Also, if below median (or possibly even if I'm at median) - will probably drop out and get a public policy masters or just be a public administrator or something. I am in a location where I should be able to get a job doing that - it is basically what I was doing before law school anyways.

I hope not though. *crosses fingers*. I like law school and have wanted to be a lawyer for a long long time.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:54 pm

Even though it's a saturday and New Year's Eve, with absolutely no chance of grades being posted today, I'm still performing my hourly grade status checks :|

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:33 am

NYC Law wrote:Even though it's a saturday and New Year's Eve, with absolutely no chance of grades being posted today, I'm still performing my hourly grade status checks :|

lol. since I know my school doesn't release grades for another three weeks I don't have to worry about that yet, but it's going to really suck when you guys start talking about your grades and we still have to wait two weeks.

HushYoDissents

Postby HushYoDissents » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:38 am

NYC Law wrote:Even though it's a saturday and New Year's Eve, with absolutely no chance of grades being posted today, I'm still performing my hourly grade status checks :|

Hourly? Breatheeeee dude.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:49 am

Fuck all of you and your grade related dreams. As a result I had a dream about my torts exam last night. But it wasn't the real torts exam, it was a different one that relied on facts we were supposed to know from a practice a month earlier.

djaja

Postby djaja » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 am

What is the 'talking about grades' etiquette once we get back from break? Are people going to be asking 'How'd you do?' and am I supposed to tell them?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:14 am

djaja wrote:What is the 'talking about grades' etiquette once we get back from break? Are people going to be asking 'How'd you do?' and am I supposed to tell them?

Just say "fine" and leave it at that. I didn't discuss grades w even my closest friends, so I may be an abnormality, but it's better to keep that shit under wraps.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”