1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cinephile

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 pm

I was told that our professors had to turn grades in 72 hours after the exam and that they'd be available to us soon afterward. That just seems unlikely.

ohiohawk58

Postby ohiohawk58 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:28 pm

First grade back, B+ in Civ Pro. Generally B+ is top 20% of the class so I'll take it

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:32 pm

ohiohawk58 wrote:First grade back, B+ in Civ Pro. Generally B+ is top 20% of the class so I'll take it

Damn that is a hard curve.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:36 pm

cinephile wrote:I was told that our professors had to turn grades in 72 hours after the exam and that they'd be available to us soon afterward. That just seems unlikely.

How is it even possible to grade that many tests in 3 days?

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 pm

NYC Law wrote:
cinephile wrote:I was told that our professors had to turn grades in 72 hours after the exam and that they'd be available to us soon afterward. That just seems unlikely.

How is it even possible to grade that many tests in 3 days?

Tenure's a helluva drug.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Pretty sure my grades are going to come out AFTER deadlines for a bucket of things I'm applying for have passed. I'll be sending it along afterward, but considering that for a chunk I'm competing against people who go to a school local in the market on a quarter system, I am annoyed.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:57 pm

Jumping in here. Finished a week ago, probably won't get grades for another 3 weeks. Finished with Torts and was running on fumes at that point. I'm hoping everyone else felt the same. I'll be very happy if I get an A or A- in any class and very sad if I get more than one B.

target

Postby target » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Flips88 wrote:Jumping in here. Finished a week ago, probably won't get grades for another 3 weeks. Finished with Torts and was running on fumes at that point. I'm hoping everyone else felt the same. I'll be very happy if I get an A or A- in any class and very sad if I get more than one B.

+1 word for word

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:32 am

target wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Jumping in here. Finished a week ago, probably won't get grades for another 3 weeks. Finished with Torts and was running on fumes at that point. I'm hoping everyone else felt the same. I'll be very happy if I get an A or A- in any class and very sad if I get more than one B.

+1 word for word

I will cry if I get a B in crim or torts.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:06 pm

Almost exactly this, but I'll only be happy only if I get at least one A-.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:14 pm

Feeling pretty numb at this point. Final memo grade was an A-, so pretty happy with that. I'll be happy with an A- in that class. I felt horrible after Civ Pro because I misread the last question, but it was worth the least points, so who knows. I felt OK about Crim and Torts. Although I kept up with reading and studying for all 3 classes, I felt more focused with my studying for Civ Pro because the exam and concepts seemed more straightforward. For Crim and Torts, I just kept up with knowing the elements and did hypos, but I never felt like I was mastering the subject the same way as I did for Civ Pro. I didn't study nearly as much for Crim and Torts as I did for Civ Pro mainly because I didn't really know what else I should've been doing besides memorizing BLL and doing practice problems/exams.

Did anyone feel that way about common law classes as opposed to more structured ones like Civ Pro?

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:04 pm

one semester done! but no idea when grades are coming back...think the tests were okay but no idea what to expect...

Peg

Postby Peg » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:59 pm

So convinced that I'm going to end up with Cs in everything. I wonder if the people in the top of the class ever had doubts about their exams afterwards, or if only median people have these swinging, "I failed! I did okay! I failed!" feelings?

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Peg wrote:So convinced that I'm going to end up with Cs in everything. I wonder if the people in the top of the class ever had doubts about their exams afterwards, or if only median people have these swinging, "I failed! I did okay! I failed!" feelings?

it's impossible for anyone to predict their grades. i thought i C-ed everything 1L year, and some of my friends did too, and we all did fine. i think the way you feel about a test has almost nothing to do with how you actually do (because of the curve). you might as well not try to predict it, if you can resist. :)

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:11 pm

our exams were horrible this semester! 1 of the professors didnt even write his own exam...and a bunch of people got freaked out because of it...hopefully this means that i did well because i didnt...

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:13 pm

You have to basically go out of your way to get a C unless your school has a lower curve or your prof is just plain mean. I think a lot of the profs realize grades matter so they won't screw you over if they can help it.

jtoppe2

Postby jtoppe2 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:59 am

Got my first grade back! I got an A in civ pro! Wooo!! You should have seen me jumping around my apartment like a fool when I saw the grade. Now I get to wait in agony for the others :evil:

FYI, I felt pretty good about the exam after I took it. There was one legal/equitable issue that everybody I asked answered differently than I did. I'm assuming that I got it right 8)

For Crim - I showed up to the exam literally as the proctor was starting, so I was frazzled and I feel like shit about the exam. Oh well. Who knows… I do know a kid that missed (just completely didn't know they were there) two of the five essays. Soooo at least I did better than him (I hope).

For Contracts - felt pretty good about it, but I changed a part of one of the answers with like five minutes left and I didn't get a chance to make sure that it made sense still. Buttttt, I loved contracts and did really well on the midterm, so I think it'll be okay.

I don't even want to guess for legal writing. The way my school grades this class is retarded. They split our civ pro class up into groups of 10 and we are graded against those 10 people (as opposed to our entire class). I happen to have a former medical doctor and a former professional writer in my section. So, if in the other sections there are only morons (likely), somebody who wrote a worse paper than I did could end up getting a better grade than I do (did I explain that clearly?). Oh, and they only give out one A, one A- and one B+, the rest B's and below.

And I didn't have Torts, cuz I'm a boss.

spacepenguin

Postby spacepenguin » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:11 am

jtoppe2 wrote:Got my first grade back! I got an A in civ pro! Wooo!! You should have seen me jumping around my apartment like a fool when I saw the grade. Now I get to wait in agony for the others :evil:

FYI, I felt pretty good about the exam after I took it. There was one legal/equitable issue that everybody I asked answered differently than I did. I'm assuming that I got it right 8)

For Crim - I showed up to the exam literally as the proctor was starting, so I was frazzled and I feel like shit about the exam. Oh well. Who knows… I do know a kid that missed (just completely didn't know they were there) two of the five essays. Soooo at least I did better than him (I hope).

For Contracts - felt pretty good about it, but I changed a part of one of the answers with like five minutes left and I didn't get a chance to make sure that it made sense still. Buttttt, I loved contracts and did really well on the midterm, so I think it'll be okay.

I don't even want to guess for legal writing. The way my school grades this class is retarded. They split our civ pro class up into groups of 10 and we are graded against those 10 people (as opposed to our entire class). I happen to have a former medical doctor and a former professional writer in my section. So, if in the other sections there are only morons (likely), somebody who wrote a worse paper than I did could end up getting a better grade than I do (did I explain that clearly?). Oh, and they only give out one A, one A- and one B+, the rest B's and below.

This was pretty insufferable. This can't be serious.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:18 am

spacepenguin wrote:
jtoppe2 wrote:law student law student law student.

This was pretty insufferable. This can't be serious.

Welcome to law school. Tuition is non-refundable.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:54 am

one of our profs should be getting grades out right after new years...the one class I think I did best in, so probably it will be time to drink after...

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:23 pm

D'Angelo wrote:one of our profs should be getting grades out right after new years...the one class I think I did best in, so probably it will be time to drink after...

dem ellipses.

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:25 pm

jtoppe2 wrote:Got my first grade back! I got an A in civ pro! Wooo!! You should have seen me jumping around my apartment like a fool when I saw the grade. Now I get to wait in agony for the others :evil:

You seem obnoxious.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:44 pm

haha, like a boss.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:04 pm

All I want for Christmas is an A in crim.

jtoppe2 wrote:lol school

jtoppe2

Postby jtoppe2 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Haymarket wrote:

You seem obnoxious.

you have no idea

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”