1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kristinmarieUA

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby kristinmarieUA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
shock259 wrote:Where will you guys be happy if you end up in the class?

If I get median I'll be totally satisfied.

Before finals, I felt that I would only be happy being in the top 1/3. Finals have crushed my soul and I'd be happy at median.

What they said....

I have gone from being a straight-A only or I'll kill myself type of girl to please don't let me fail type of girl

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm

At this point, I would really be happy if just one of my grades was above a B+. It's really going to suck only having three grades, because just one bad one= median or below. Buh. I'm trying really hard not to hope for anything at all.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:31 pm

I'll be legitimately happy if I'm at median. Won't be too pissed if I'm a little below so long as it's salvageable. 2/3 finals were totally unexpected and nightmarish.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:48 pm

tagged for now...torts tomorrow is last exam, then the sweet cold embrace of waiting (oh and mailing out summer apps like a madman).

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:07 pm

law school has definitely humbled me...

I will still keep up the Alpha routine back home, but in the exam room I'm a bumbling toddler that didn't absorb a goddamn thing all semester :shock:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm

at your schools when grades are put online do they e-mail you, or do you just have to check obsessively?

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:57 pm

ilovesf wrote:at your schools when grades are put online do they e-mail you, or do you just have to check obsessively?

Check Obsessively. Its like pressing F5 on the LSAT page all over again

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Gamecock227 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:at your schools when grades are put online do they e-mail you, or do you just have to check obsessively?

Possibly a stupid question but do all grades get posted at the same time? In UG I had professors who had exams graded and posted within a day and others took until the last day for grades to be posted, meaning that grades came in class by class. Do we get them all in one shot on the same day or one by one?

sidhesadie

Postby sidhesadie » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:50 pm

introversional wrote:Is it a bad sign that I actually read "Fail Grade Waiting Thread" at first glance?

Possible FML in progress.... hopefully not, but who knows with this ridiculous law school 3 hour essay exam nonsense. As I've stated before, I'm much rather take 3-4 exams for each course throughout the semester - that way we'd at least have some feedback insofar as what the profs would like to see on an exam. Knowing the material isn't enough... knowing your professor's preferred style seems to be what LS is all about. To me, that seems like an arbitrary method of grading.

I agree, and I think it's ridiculous (I am aware I am preaching to the choir here) that the majority of my profs have said things like "the people who understand the material the best often don't get the best grades" and "the people who make the best lawyers often don't get the best grades". Well, shouldn't finding out those two things probably be the point of the exams? I mean, if the goal is to end up with good lawyers who understand the law, it seems like a system that purposefully tests something else is completely idiotic.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:15 pm

half of my section is in a different lrw class than me, and they got their final grades yesterday and were able to pick up their final memos. as much as i hate waiting for grades, i think i'd be okay with relaxing a bit over the winter break before seeing my final grades and wanting to off myself.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:20 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Gamecock227 wrote:

Possibly a stupid question but do all grades get posted at the same time? In UG I had professors who had exams graded and posted within a day and others took until the last day for grades to be posted, meaning that grades came in class by class. Do we get them all in one shot on the same day or one by one?

Depends on the school. Some schools wait until all grades are submitted by your professors before releasing grades to you, some do it grade by grade, whenever the professor submits. Ask a 2L/3L at your school, they should know.

My advice--Forgot about exams and forget about grades for at the very minimum the next couple of weeks. It's usually a long wait at most schools, so better to try and concentrate on other things--like finding a 1L summer job and enjoying the time off.

Gamecock227

Postby Gamecock227 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Ok, I understand "forget about it for now" and "don't think/worry about it" that is absolutely wonderful advice.

But how many people really find it possible?

This. Is. Amurrica.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:27 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:1-5= Shocked
top 10%- estatic
top 10-20%- content
below 20%- upset
below median- /kills self

+1

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Median -- Content
Above Median -- JUMP WITH JOY
Below Median -- Drop out

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 pm

2L, but dropping by to wish y'all good luck.

*Walks away*

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:36 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Median -- Content
Above Median -- JUMP WITH JOY
Below Median -- Drop out

this is pretty much where my standards have fallen now.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 pm

Top Quarter is good for me. I, as with anyone else, would love to be near the top, but if I can do better than 3/4 of my class then I will feel vindicated in all my efforts this semester. As a life-long procrastinator and someone who never did homework, this was the first time I've put more than like 30% effort into anything and I feel pretty good about my efforts. It think the biggest hit will be if I do poorly because it'll say "Hey, you may have never really put forth effort, but when you do, you kinda suck." I think I may have some serious life questioning if I fall below median.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 pm

What are my chances of getting median/above?

I'm probably bottom 10% in work put in.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:44 pm

I feel like I rarely see people that post on TLS below median. Maybe there are a lot and they just don't talk about it. Let's hope that TLSers always get above median, and we are TLSers, therefore we will all get above median.

*crosses fingers*

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:45 pm

shock259 wrote:I feel like I rarely see people that post on TLS below median. Maybe there are a lot and they just don't talk about it. Let's hope that TLSers always get above median, and we are TLSers, therefore we will all get above median.

*crosses fingers*

I have more posts than you so does that mean I have a higher chance of being median than you?

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:47 pm

shock259 wrote:I feel like I rarely see people that post on TLS below median. Maybe there are a lot and they just don't talk about it. Let's hope that TLSers always get above median, and we are TLSers, therefore we will all get above median.

*crosses fingers*

This is what I hope. However, I also feel like more of a slacker than most of TLS. I don't think I can compete with the excessive type-A-ness

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:49 pm

All I want for Christmas is top third.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:56 pm

I just took my... first exam today. Just one more week of exams.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:00 am

Gecko of Doom wrote:

*crosses fingers*

This is what I hope. However, I also feel like more of a slacker than most of TLS. I don't think I can compete with the excessive type-A-ness

I guarantee you that you are not a bigger slacker than I am, haha. So don't feel too bad. I think the type-A people are just more vocal than the more apathetic types.

I'm definitely banking on the fact that I've never really tried before and always managed to do well for myself. I know this will probably not get me very far, but I'm happy to keep deluding myself until grades roll in.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 am

bostonlawchick wrote:I'm definitely banking on the fact that I've never really tried before and always managed to do well for myself. I know this will probably not get me very far, but I'm happy to keep deluding myself until grades roll in.

I went the other way. I figured, I've done well not trying... let's see what a little trying can get me. I'm hoping the results are favorable.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”