1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lisjjen

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby lisjjen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:30 pm

All the 1Ls had their last final on the same day so everybody went to a bar that night. It was amazing. Even then, the gunners were still gunning, trying to freak everybody out with the fact patterns they found.

I guess as a segue, what is the correlation between gunning and grades? I've heard first semester gunners almost always tank when it comes time for finals.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:50 pm

lisjjen wrote:I guess as a segue, what is the correlation between gunning and grades? I've heard first semester gunners almost always tank when it comes time for finals.

Basically none. Some gunners do great, some gunners do terribly. One amusing thing to watch for is quiet people who all of the sudden have a lot to say in class after getting good grades first semester :lol:
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:24 am

Anyone else still dreaming about issues they missed a week ago? This is going to be a lonnnggg few weeks till grades.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:43 am

thesealocust wrote:
lisjjen wrote:I guess as a segue, what is the correlation between gunning and grades? I've heard first semester gunners almost always tank when it comes time for finals.

Basically none. Summer gunners do great, some gunners do terribly. One amusing thing to watch for is quiet people who all of the sudden have a lot to say in class after getting good grades first semester :lol:

Yeah, I have a feeling that I'm gonna be the guy who never opens his mouth again.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:09 pm

marmot8 wrote:Anyone else still dreaming about issues they missed a week ago? This is going to be a lonnnggg few weeks till grades.

Yes. How could I forget Learned Hand and his silly equation?

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:39 pm

cinephile wrote:
marmot8 wrote:Anyone else still dreaming about issues they missed a week ago? This is going to be a lonnnggg few weeks till grades.

Yes. How could I forget Learned Hand and his silly equation?

On my torts exam next quarter, I really want to put in a line saying "I realize you may want me to mention the Hand Formula and its applicability to this case, but I am taking a principled stand against that equation and will not be wasting further space discussing it."

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:45 pm

Congrats on the A-, beast mode. I'm super jealous of everyone who gets grades as the teacher puts them in. We get ours all at one time, which I think is kind of silly. My LRW final memo was due November 6. It surely should be ready by now. But no...and don't get me started on the all scantron PR test. Oh well, patience is a virtue I suppose. Still...give me my f*cking grades, school.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:15 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
cinephile wrote:Yes. How could I forget Learned Hand and his silly equation?

On my torts exam next quarter, I really want to put in a line saying "I realize you may want me to mention the Hand Formula and its applicability to this case, but I am taking a principled stand against that equation and will not be wasting further space discussing it."

It's amazingly useless. On another answer I had to say I cannot put a monetary amount to this burden. Or, the probability is unknown without additional information. Using it without actual numbers is pretty pointless.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:20 pm

lisjjen wrote:All the 1Ls had their last final on the same day so everybody went to a bar that night. It was amazing. Even then, the gunners were still gunning, trying to freak everybody out with the fact patterns they found.

I guess as a segue, what is the correlation between gunning and grades? I've heard first semester gunners almost always tank when it comes time for finals.

UT right? I can't wait for certain people in my section to shut the hell up next semester.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:11 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
lisjjen wrote:All the 1Ls had their last final on the same day so everybody went to a bar that night. It was amazing. Even then, the gunners were still gunning, trying to freak everybody out with the fact patterns they found.

UT right? I can't wait for certain people in my section to shut the hell up next semester.

Yes and yes.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Kabuo wrote:Guess I belong here. Thought all of them went reasonably well when I left the room. Since then, could see anywhere in the top 3/4, but would be slightly disappointed with less than top third. Thought Torts would be my best, but that one was 10 days ago now, and I think of a new stupid mistake every day.

This is me.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:32 pm

cinephile wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
cinephile wrote:Yes. How could I forget Learned Hand and his silly equation?

It's amazingly useless. On another answer I had to say I cannot put a monetary amount to this burden. Or, the probability is unknown without additional information. Using it without actual numbers is pretty pointless.

I made absolutely no mention of it on my Torts final and did just fine. I hated that thing.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:25 pm

I really just want to know what day grades are coming out so that I can tell employers.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:31 pm

Early February I think. And only after we have a "don't kill yourself" meeting. Part of me wants to know my grades while I can still withdraw and get some of my tuition back, and start looking for law school exit strategies if necessary. The other part is...I don't know.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:43 pm

Naked Dude wrote:Early February I think. And only after we have a "don't kill yourself" meeting. Part of me wants to know my grades while I can still withdraw and get some of my tuition back, and start looking for law school exit strategies if necessary. The other part is...I don't know.

Do we go to the same school?

clone22

Postby clone22 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 pm

cinephile wrote:
NoleinNY wrote:To all 1Ls who took their Civ Pro Finals this semester:

Obama just signed into law the "Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2011."

In effect, replaced §1391(a)-(d) with a new version and it amended §1404.

I'm sorry, you may have wasted some time for nothing...

Our Civ Pro professor informed us of this the day before the exam and told us to use the new law. Fun times.

prof sounds like a bit of a dick. ours told us about the change before the exam and asked if anyone wanted to be tested under the new rules. not a single hand went up

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:10 pm

Finished my last exam this morning. At a rest stop in eastern Ohio. Wish I was drunk.

bartleby

Postby bartleby » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:49 pm

fck, just got my first grade back. i am median pwned.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:58 pm

grade prediction

Torts B
Crim B+
Leg Reg C+( have no clue how the one paper scores all is going to go- its literally a toss up and well im going to guess low and hope im waay low
Contracts B-

orm518

Postby orm518 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:08 pm

NoleinNY wrote:To all 1Ls who took their Civ Pro Finals this semester:

Obama just signed into law the "Federal Courts Jurisdiction and Venue Clarification Act of 2011."

In effect, replaced §1391(a)-(d) with a new version and it amended §1404.

I'm sorry, you may have wasted some time for nothing...

I don't know that all that much changed in 1391, check out this link by a Pitt CivPro professor summarizing the changes. The House Report on the bill is linked there too:

http://prawfsblawg.blogs.com/prawfsblawg/2011/12/updated-jurisdiction-and-venue-clarification-act.html

lawschoolproblems86

Postby lawschoolproblems86 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm

The wait is killing me, too!

How do we know when grades have been posted? Do the schools normally send an email alert, or do you just have to go check your school portal for your transcript to see if its been posted?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:24 pm

Naked Dude wrote: Part of me wants to know my grades while I can still withdraw and get some of my tuition back, and start looking for law school exit strategies if necessary.

I know how you feel. My not-so-great back-up plan is applying to the dual JD/MBA program.

adonai

Postby adonai » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 pm

zomg how long does it take to grade TWENTY memos?!?!?! its been 5 weeks. even if the prof did 1 every other day would've been done by now

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:30 pm

adonai wrote:zomg how long does it take to grade TWENTY memos?!?!?! its been 5 weeks. even if the prof did 1 every other day would've been done by now

Law student math?

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Wow. Apparently my crim prof has already graded everything (exam was Friday). He put up a model answer and I actually still think I did pretty well. My school holds 1L grades until they're all in though so even though I know he already turned them in, we won't see them until then :(

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”