1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jessuf

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:10 am

the 1L class at my school started with 300+ people and dropped to 273 when rankings came out. i'm surprised more people didn't drop out because they really should have.

also, we have a large number of spring transfers, some from T1 schools. it confuses my TTT brain.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:44 pm

Grades have now been moved back to Friday. If we're lucky.

This is ridiculous.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:05 pm

beachbum wrote:Grades have now been moved back to Friday. If we're lucky.

This is ridiculous.

Sounds TTT to me.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:10 pm

This is ridiculous.

Yup, I hate Duke now.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:18 pm

stewie27 wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Yup, I hate Duke now.

Maybe you guys should just drop out for spite.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm

chimp wrote:
stewie27 wrote:

This is ridiculous.

Yup, I hate Duke now.

Maybe you guys should just drop out for spite.

No, that's too obvious.

I say revert to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfSAcVq6s9c

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:43 pm

Starting to consider dropping out. Since I've started LS this pretty much sums up my feelings about everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0Bg9IdL2Q

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

NYC Law wrote:Starting to consider dropping out. Since I've started LS this pretty much sums up my feelings about everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0Bg9IdL2Q

Wut? You're top 5% of a T30?!?!??!?!

you can do whatever you want?!? I hear for some people, practice is much better than law school.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

NYC Law wrote:Starting to consider dropping out. Since I've started LS this pretty much sums up my feelings about everything: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx0Bg9IdL2Q

Really? :(

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:47 pm

Guchster wrote:I hear for some people, practice is much better than law school.

Weirdos.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Guchster wrote:

you can do whatever you want?!? I hear for some people, practice is much better than law school.

Probably. I think I just hate law school more than any hatred towards law itself. It kills me that 99% of 1L is just pointless exercises that have no relevance to the actual practice of law (socraticking, oral arguments, etc - I'm sure it will be at least 30 years until any of us would actually argue something of relative importance in an appellate court, and that's if you're gunning to litigate, which I have no interest in doing). And I just get more and more annoyed with the people here every day. The stuck up rich snobs, the pretty girl cliques, the gunners.

Although I could just be butthurt because I got called on again in a class today and didn't remember the case. Same class as last time that happened.

But I do really wonder what I'm doing here. My personality is nothing like the majority of the other people here. I should have gone into engineering or something.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:58 pm

NYC Law wrote:And I just get more and more annoyed with the people here every day. The stuck up rich snobs, the pretty girl cliques, the gunners.

But I do really wonder what I'm doing here. My personality is nothing like the majority of the other people here. I should have gone into engineering or something.

This is me all day, every day. First semester was ok, but now, I can't even convince myself to try to be nice to a lot of people. I'm tired of the gunners, I'm tired of the stupid people, and I'm tired of the stupid two-faced people who don't realize their twitters are public. Not everyone is bad, of course, and I love the friends I've made. I just find my tolerance level decreasing every day.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:

Probably. I think I just hate law school more than any hatred towards law itself. It kills me that 99% of 1L is just pointless exercises that have no relevance to the actual practice of law (socraticking, oral arguments, etc - I'm sure it will be at least 30 years until any of us would actually argue something of relative importance in an appellate court, and that's if you're gunning to litigate, which I have no interest in doing). And I just get more and more annoyed with the people here every day. The stuck up rich snobs, the pretty girl cliques, the gunners.

Although I could just be butthurt because I got called on again in a class today and didn't remember the case. Same class as last time that happened.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. But your grades are awesome, and you should have your pick of jobs come OCI. Wait until you get some actual legal experience before you decide to change career paths.

Although I do agree that law students on the whole can be kinda shitty. I think it's the entitlement (I guess that would be the "rich snobs") that annoys me the most. And we have our fair share of that here. But there are also chill, down-to-earth people people in the crowd; you just gotta find them.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:05 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Guchster wrote:

I feel you NYC. I totally identify with what you're saying.

Dont' worry about getting called on. What counts is the exam and you're going to beat the bitch out of every one of your annoying classmates. I never have the right answer in class, and usually I get called on while I'm thinking of something else, so I have to ask the professor to repeat himself which makes everyone laugh but make me feel like shit.

We'll be out of these dumps in 3 years--trapped in a slaveholding where none of the other shit matters.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Jessuf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:And I just get more and more annoyed with the people here every day. The stuck up rich snobs, the pretty girl cliques, the gunners.

This is me all day, every day. First semester was ok, but now, I can't even convince myself to try to be nice to a lot of people. I'm tired of the gunners, I'm tired of the stupid people, and I'm tired of the stupid two-faced people who don't realize their twitters are public. Not everyone is bad, of course, and I love the friends I've made. I just find my tolerance level decreasing every day.

This +1000

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 pm

Let's get back to the more important issue here: no grades until AT BEST Friday!!

If we do not get them back until the following week, it will have been over two months since our first exam!!

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 pm

Heh thanks guys. It really helps to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

And sorry to everyone who still doesn't have grades, stay strong!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:31 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Let's get back to the more important issue here: no grades until AT BEST Friday!!

If we do not get them back until the following week, it will have been over two months since our first exam!!

I think you're in my section. Rumor is that our civpro professor was still working on our exams as late as last week. Yeah.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm

NYC Law wrote:Heh thanks guys. It really helps to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

I made a really long post in reply but it didn't post so I'll just sum it in a couple of sentences: leave the law school bubble and make friends with non-law school people. Ignore annoying law school people. Problems solved

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 pm

dabomb75 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Heh thanks guys. It really helps to know I'm not the only one who feels like this.

I made a really long post in reply but it didn't post so I'll just sum it in a couple of sentences: leave the law school bubble and make friends with non-law school people. Ignore annoying law school people. Problems solved

Or find people in your class that you can be real friends with.

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dabomb75 wrote:

Or find people in your class that you can be real friends with.

Well yea, I just assumed he already had a group of friends he at least somewhat liked within the law school. Keep those obviously. And just ignore everyone else.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

I still like study of law, I am starting to lose sight of the point of law school instead of trying to get 2 more years of tuition out of me. I really want to get back to working and be productive again. That's why I started to work part-time this semester. I will probably expand it into half-time working next two years, and do as many clinic/externship as possible, just to keep law school to a minimum. I have nothing at all bad to say about my classmates, it's the pointlessness of law school that's eating at me. I'd rather be doing doc/code review. Seriously.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 pm

beachbum wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Let's get back to the more important issue here: no grades until AT BEST Friday!!

I think you're in my section. Rumor is that our civpro professor was still working on our exams as late as last week. Yeah.

Ya, we're section-mates. And it would be a major bummer if it was a professor and not the registrar's system that was actually the cause of the delay.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I still like study of law, I am starting to lose sight of the point of law school instead of trying to get 2 more years of tuition out of me. I really want to get back to working and be productive again. That's why I started to work part-time this semester. I will probably expand it into half-time working next two years, and do as many clinic/externship as possible, just to keep law school to a minimum. I have nothing at all bad to say about my classmates, it's the pointlessness of law school that's eating at me. I'd rather be doing doc/code review. Seriously.

I think going part-time and working during the day is one of the best decisions I've ever made. I would go absolutely crazy if all I had was law school. Now, I'm able to maintain friendships, work, stay involved in other things, and try to pwn school. (try...)

NYC - sorry to hear people in the day program suck. You can always join us in the evening division. Most people are pretty chill, at least the people I've gotten to know. But the poster above who said get to know other people is totally right. Same principle as if I were to be doing all-law school, all the time: non-law-school friends get my mind off of the law and help me maintain a real life. It's great.

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:53 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Now grades are in and a lot of people didn't do very well and they don't want to talk about grades... AT ALL. The people who wanted biglaw or to transfer to Berkeley are now all quiet. Some people have already dropped out or just stopped showing up to class.

Yeah, our section has lost three people :( One of them though, as far as I know, didn't drop out because of bad grades, but just because law school hasn't really been what he thought it would be.

One person in our section dropped out before finals. Everyone else, they can say what they want but I'm sure grades were a significant factor.

If your hearts not into it and you don't have the grades then by all means you should not continue attending law school. It's hard to imagine someone walking away if they're in the top half of the class.

that's weird.

my section is full of gunners and everyone seems to have done well...which can't be possible. seriously, all the gunners are still gunning, and everyone else seems to be really confident. i think we only had one drop out. it's kind of surprising. it's also kind of funny cause most people probably think i did poorly.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”