1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BlinkNC

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby BlinkNC » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:42 pm

While you won't get the nitty gritty details about whatever 2 questions you did not go over, that's not really why you're meeting with the prof. Having the prof go over 1 of the questions is all the key you need to his exams in the Spring. You get to see what types of things he finds important and what form/style/type of analysis he prefers. Those two pieces of information are really not question-specific and are an easy road to giving him what he wants.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:44 pm

BlinkNC wrote:While you won't get the nitty gritty details about whatever 2 questions you did not go over, that's not really why you're meeting with the prof. Having the prof go over 1 of the questions is all the key you need to his exams in the Spring. You get to see what types of things he finds important and what form/style/type of analysis he prefers. Those two pieces of information are really not question-specific and are an easy road to giving him what he wants.

So is there a point to meet with professors if you don't even have the same professors for classes? Isn't it tailoring to specific professions and what they want? So changing your style based on Fall professors' preferences would be sort of counter intuitive?

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:47 pm

BlinkNC wrote:While you won't get the nitty gritty details about whatever 2 questions you did not go over, that's not really why you're meeting with the prof. Having the prof go over 1 of the questions is all the key you need to his exams in the Spring. You get to see what types of things he finds important and what form/style/type of analysis he prefers. Those two pieces of information are really not question-specific and are an easy road to giving him what he wants.

At CLS, we don't have any repeat professor for the spring. There's no contracts I and II, civ pro I and II, or TORTS( :evil: ) I and II. Only one course for every core class. Just to give you insight on why you might use his office hours.

It is nice though learning from mistakes you made and applying it to new courses. I appreciate the targeted focus by requiring us to do some pre-work rather than asking for feedback blind. My only concern is that this professor and exam were more exceptions than the norm, so I'm not sure how useful his feedback will be.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:

So is there a point to meet with professors if you don't even have the same professors for classes? Isn't it tailoring to specific professions and what they want? So changing your style based on Fall professors' preferences would be sort of counter intuitive?

Yeah this is exactly my concern.

But I guess there are universal things he can point to (organization, word style, writing style, other things you can work on before finals come to kick some ass). Then again, my concern for this professor is that it'd be an aberration and not applicable to my spring professors style.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:

My school has an academic adviser that will review exams with students and generally knows each professor's preferences and quirks. If you have someone in this type of role, I would highly suggest meeting with them after you get feedback on your exams from your fall semester professors.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 pm

Guchster wrote:One professor offered to let us pick up our exams with a packet of model answers. We have to compare our answers to the model answer and then go in to talk to him about ONE of the three questions, and ONLY one. Super crazy. Hated the class.

piccolittle, guess which FUCKING SUBJECT this was in.

Hmmm... If I'm guessing by subject I have a 33% shot here cause I know it's not dear old Teddy. I'm gonna go with Torts, Property or Contracts :P

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 pm

So grades are coming out sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow, probably Tuesday, and definitely no later than Thursday. I'm not feeling particularly confident about any of my classes which, based on TLS, can only be a good thing.

(And, since I haven't exactly tried to hide my identity around here, I won't be posting grades on TLS).

Edit: And good luck to everyone else at Duke. But not that much luck.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:57 pm

beachbum wrote:So grades are coming out sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow, probably Tuesday, and definitely no later than Thursday. I'm not feeling particularly confident about any of my classes which, based on TLS, can only be a good thing.

(And, since I haven't exactly tried to hide my identity around here, I won't be posting grades on TLS).

Good luck!!!

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:10 pm

Guchster wrote:
mel2010 wrote:Haha yeah...I saw that model answer and was like "oh so I guess we're supposed to write poorly and if possible repeat points a bunch of times!" So we'll see. If we ever see...

ETA: fellow CLSers, have any of your profs said anything about returning exams / sending out model answers?

One professor offered to let us pick up our exams with a packet of model answers. We have to compare our answers to the model answer and then go in to talk to him about ONE of the three questions, and ONLY one. Super crazy. Hated the class.

piccolittle, guess which FUCKING SUBJECT this was in.

Guchster, I was in that class but I thought the comments to the model answers were fairly detailed. Certainly had more comments regarding what constituted good answers from him than from other profs (Torts the most, Civ Pro the very least). He tells you how he graded each question, so maybe going for the question you scored the lowest on would give you tips to improve in the spring. Overall, despite my lack of attendance, I enjoyed the class/subject.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:13 pm

beachbum wrote:So grades are coming out sometime this week. Maybe tomorrow, probably Tuesday, and definitely no later than Thursday. I'm not feeling particularly confident about any of my classes which, based on TLS, can only be a good thing.

Ill at least post my predictions by class relative to one another:

Contracts < CivPro < Property.

And I would really like to get them tomorrow. But all signals point towards Tuesday. :(

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:27 pm

bk1 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Maybe it's just the law school I go to, but I haven't gotten that vibe from most people.

Just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean that most people don't expect to above median if not top 10/20/30 percent.

Exactly. Everyone I talked with, hesitantly, expected to do very well (however, I only talked openly about grades with a couple people.) The general impression from others was they would do fine.

Now grades are in and a lot of people didn't do very well and they don't want to talk about grades... AT ALL. The people who wanted biglaw or to transfer to Berkeley are now all quiet. Some people have already dropped out or just stopped showing up to class.

I came in with sub-25th percentile GPA and median LSAT and did pretty good regarding grades. I told myself, following PLSII and LEEWS, that I would be, worst case scenario, top-3rd of the class. I did better than that but am still disappointed I'm not top 10%. The second semester will either bring improvement (joy), the same (purgatory), or worse (sorrow). 15 weeks to go...

The most common complaint among students who did poorly is they didn't really think of being sub-median.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the same "I'll make up for first semester grades during the second semester!" kool-aid is still quite prominent. I'm fully aware my first semester grades could go right to median if the second semester doesn't pan out.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:31 pm

kapital98 wrote:The most common complaint among students who did poorly is they didn't really think of being sub-median.

I pretty much only considered being sub-median. Actually, bottom 25%. Low expectations FTW.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:35 pm

kapital98 wrote:Now grades are in and a lot of people didn't do very well and they don't want to talk about grades... AT ALL. The people who wanted biglaw or to transfer to Berkeley are now all quiet. Some people have already dropped out or just stopped showing up to class.

Yeah, our section has lost three people :( One of them though, as far as I know, didn't drop out because of bad grades, but just because law school hasn't really been what he thought it would be.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 pm

Last edited by bdubs on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:50 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:

Ill at least post my predictions by class relative to one another:

Contracts < CivPro < Property.

And I would really like to get them tomorrow. But all signals point towards Tuesday. :(

I'm actually feeling the same regarding classes, though I'll modify slightly:

Contracts <<<<<<<<<< Civpro << Property

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:49 pm

ilovesf wrote:
kapital98 wrote:Now grades are in and a lot of people didn't do very well and they don't want to talk about grades... AT ALL. The people who wanted biglaw or to transfer to Berkeley are now all quiet. Some people have already dropped out or just stopped showing up to class.

Yeah, our section has lost three people :( One of them though, as far as I know, didn't drop out because of bad grades, but just because law school hasn't really been what he thought it would be.

holy shit. I cant imagine dropping out after one semester due to grades.

good for them though

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Still no grades. Trying hard to not hate Duke right now. If we don't get them tomorrow all bets are off.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:40 pm

stewie27 wrote:Still no grades. Trying hard to not hate Duke right now. If we don't get them tomorrow all bets are off.

Word on the street is we might have to wait until the middle of next week.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:46 pm

Feel bad for everyone that is still waiting. ;(

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 pm

beachbum wrote:
stewie27 wrote:Still no grades. Trying hard to not hate Duke right now. If we don't get them tomorrow all bets are off.

Ok, that would officially be redonkulous.
Should have looked into grade waiting time while picking a law school.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:56 pm

stewie27 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Ok, that would officially be redonkulous.
Should have looked into grade waiting time while picking a law school.

Enjoy your period of ignorance. It truly is bliss.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 pm

beachbum wrote:

Where did you hear this!? Because that would be truly awful...

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:55 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Where did you hear this!? Because that would be truly awful...

Apparently someone talked to one of the deans, and was told that grades would be delayed because they're switching systems or something. It still sounds like wild speculation/rumor to me, but just throwin it out there.

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:40 am

ilovesf wrote:

One person in our section dropped out before finals. Everyone else, they can say what they want but I'm sure grades were a significant factor.

If your hearts not into it and you don't have the grades then by all means you should not continue attending law school. It's hard to imagine someone walking away if they're in the top half of the class.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:04 am

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

One person in our section dropped out before finals. Everyone else, they can say what they want but I'm sure grades were a significant factor.

If your hearts not into it and you don't have the grades then by all means you should not continue attending law school. It's hard to imagine someone walking away if they're in the top half of the class.

For people that are aiming for biglaw I can see it being pretty easy to walk away if you are at median at a school that only places 15-20% into biglaw.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”