1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 am

mel2010 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
mel2010 wrote:+1. As far as I know my CivPro section is the last of CLS 1Ls to be missing a grade, and the "deadline" isn't for another week.

Same section, same boat.

Did you get the incredibly useful email this morning from registration services?


Lol same section same boat same email. FUCK YOU TO HELL. Seriously.

I mean I think they sent that email because every other person at Columbia Law School *that was not screwed by shaw* has every single one of their grades, and it provided some closure to the grade process.

Apparently shaw's health is in bad shape, which makes me sad. What makes me almost as sad is that because of this, we might not get grades till end of Feb. :(

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mel2010 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:41 am

Guchster wrote:Lol same section same boat same email. FUCK YOU TO HELL. Seriously.

I mean I think they sent that email because every other person at Columbia Law School *that was not screwed by shaw* has every single one of their grades, and it provided some closure to the grade process.

Apparently shaw's health is in bad shape, which makes me sad. What makes me almost as sad is that because of this, we might not get grades till end of Feb. :(

Yeah word, I very quickly went from sleepy -> excited(?) -> pissed off.

But I hadn't heard that about Shaw; hopefully he'll be fine...despite his grading delinquency and the fact that he didn't really teach any "civil procedure" or whatever it's called, I did like his class a lot. And I don't say that often about morning classes...

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:04 pm

mel2010 wrote:Did you get the incredibly useful email this morning from registration services?


All I could think when I saw that email was:

Image

Guchster wrote:Lol same section same boat same email. FUCK YOU TO HELL. Seriously.

I mean I think they sent that email because every other person at Columbia Law School *that was not screwed by shaw* has every single one of their grades, and it provided some closure to the grade process.

Apparently shaw's health is in bad shape, which makes me sad. What makes me almost as sad is that because of this, we might not get grades till end of Feb. :(


I actually saw Shaw at the Thirteenth Amendment Symposium preview event yesterday. He did not look sick or anything, but I could always be wrong of course. I agree with liking his class. At least he usually had interesting stories, and I knew I wouldn't be missing anything important if I zoned out during class. However, if we don't get grades until the end of February, I am going to cut someone. Jobs are disappearing by the day. :cry:

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby lawyerwannabe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Getting all your grades at once >>>>>> Getting your grades individually

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Finally got grades. Did the worst in the class I hated the most. Best in the two classes I liked the most. Average on the other two classes.

Grades somewhat correlated with how I thought about the exam afterwards except for the class I did the worst in. Thought that was the best exam, actually, but it was also last and think I was burnt out by then.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 pm

So LRW didn't pwn me as hard as I thought it would. Surprised that Crim was my highest grade. Overall, gonna try to buckle down more this semester. Gonna take the weekend to evaluate last semester's study methods and see what I can do to improve. All in all, a little disappointed, but trying my best to process it, learn from it, and apply the lesson and move on.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3876
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:03 pm

Naked Dude wrote:So LRW didn't pwn me as hard as I thought it would.


Yeah same. Class I thought was most boring and would nearly do the worst in was actually my best grade.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Naked Dude wrote:So LRW didn't pwn me as hard as I thought it would. Surprised that Crim was my highest grade. Overall, gonna try to buckle down more this semester. Gonna take the weekend to evaluate last semester's study methods and see what I can do to improve. All in all, a little disappointed, but trying my best to process it, learn from it, and apply the lesson and move on.


Yeah, Crim was the surprise, seriously thought I did really bad on that exam but it tied Contracts. I knew I did fairly well in Contracts and did. Torts was a bit of a disappointment though and keeps me from being in top 25-30% which blows. I should have paid more attention in that class. It was definitely my least favorite class and the one I was most likely to be doing other things in.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:40 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:So LRW didn't pwn me as hard as I thought it would. Surprised that Crim was my highest grade. Overall, gonna try to buckle down more this semester. Gonna take the weekend to evaluate last semester's study methods and see what I can do to improve. All in all, a little disappointed, but trying my best to process it, learn from it, and apply the lesson and move on.


Yeah, Crim was the surprise, seriously thought I did really bad on that exam but it tied Contracts. I knew I did fairly well in Contracts and did. Torts was a bit of a disappointment though and keeps me from being in top 25-30% which blows. I should have paid more attention in that class. It was definitely my least favorite class and the one I was most likely to be doing other things in.


Beauty of Contracts is same professor. Will have to go to his office hours to go over the exam

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Naked Dude wrote:So LRW didn't pwn me as hard as I thought it would. Surprised that Crim was my highest grade. Overall, gonna try to buckle down more this semester. Gonna take the weekend to evaluate last semester's study methods and see what I can do to improve. All in all, a little disappointed, but trying my best to process it, learn from it, and apply the lesson and move on.


Yeah, Crim was the surprise, seriously thought I did really bad on that exam but it tied Contracts. I knew I did fairly well in Contracts and did. Torts was a bit of a disappointment though and keeps me from being in top 25-30% which blows. I should have paid more attention in that class. It was definitely my least favorite class and the one I was most likely to be doing other things in.


Beauty of Contracts is same professor. Will have to go to his office hours to go over the exam


Yup. :D
By far and away my favorite exam. I had fun with that one.

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby kmap » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:56 pm

2L at HLS ... I can't speak to other schools, but I can honestly tell you that grades here actually DO NOT matter. I didn't do as well as I wanted first semester (got mostly P's) and fell into a months-long grade-related depression. Fast forward to last August and I had my pick of top-10 law firms, as did almost all of my friends (and believe me, they weren't all above median). Anecdotally, I've heard of one student getting multiple LP's in their first year and ending up at a top 20 firm in Boston. I'm sure there are other instances of this happening that I don't know about. Unless you are an unbearable human being, you will get your pick of quality jobs out of HLS. So all of you young gunners need to simmer down, talk to upperclassmen, and get some perspective. Don't have a mental breakdown like I did ... it's not worth it and you will be loving life once firms and public interest orgs start pitching offers your way.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:00 pm

kmap wrote:2L at HLS ... I can't speak to other schools, but I can honestly tell you that grades here actually DO NOT matter. I didn't do as well as I wanted first semester (got mostly P's) and fell into a months-long grade-related depression. Fast forward to last August and I had my pick of top-10 law firms, as did almost all of my friends (and believe me, they weren't all above median). Anecdotally, I've heard of one student getting multiple LP's in their first year and ending up at a top 20 firm in Boston. I'm sure there are other instances of this happening that I don't know about. Unless you are an unbearable human being, you will get your pick of quality jobs out of HLS. So all of you young gunners need to simmer down, talk to upperclassmen, and get some perspective. Don't have a mental breakdown like I did ... it's not worth it and you will be loving life once firms and public interest orgs start pitching offers your way.


What a nice HLS poaster in light of this thread. Be nice of other 2Ls could post success stories at their schools now,as most of us have grades ('cept for SHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at CLS, which may end up being the last grade distributed at any law school in the US)

*cue MTal*

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Ship87 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:11 pm

Also waiting on the Shaw grade. Although when it comes in I'll miss the days of blissful ignorance

User avatar
Flash
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Flash » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:19 pm

kmap wrote:2L at HLS ... I can't speak to other schools, but I can honestly tell you that grades here actually DO NOT matter. I didn't do as well as I wanted first semester (got mostly P's) and fell into a months-long grade-related depression. Fast forward to last August and I had my pick of top-10 law firms, as did almost all of my friends (and believe me, they weren't all above median). Anecdotally, I've heard of one student getting multiple LP's in their first year and ending up at a top 20 firm in Boston. I'm sure there are other instances of this happening that I don't know about. Unless you are an unbearable human being, you will get your pick of quality jobs out of HLS. So all of you young gunners need to simmer down, talk to upperclassmen, and get some perspective. Don't have a mental breakdown like I did ... it's not worth it and you will be loving life once firms and public interest orgs start pitching offers your way.

Can't be true. I've heard grades at HLS are super srs biznuss.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Ship87 wrote:Also waiting on the Shaw grade. Although when it comes in I'll miss the days of blissful ignorance


Lol, people are PISSSSEEEEEDDD in the facebook group.

I'm so screwed in that class. The curve is going to balls to the wall hardcore.

I mean the exam itself was sooo short, simple, and narrow--it's going to be impossible to differentiate between exams. But as the only model response provided was based on how many lines of checkmarks you got (which corresponded with how many lines you wrote total), maybe this doesn't matter. Why is this taking so long to grade?

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Ship87 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Guchster wrote:
Ship87 wrote:Also waiting on the Shaw grade. Although when it comes in I'll miss the days of blissful ignorance


Lol, people are PISSSSEEEEEDDD in the facebook group.

I'm so screwed in that class. The curve is going to balls to the wall hardcore.

I mean the exam itself was sooo short, simple, and narrow--it's going to be impossible to differentiate between exams. But as the only model response provided was based on how many lines of checkmarks you got (which corresponded with how many lines you wrote total), maybe this doesn't matter. Why is this taking so long to grade?


Yeah that was the only exam I had time at the end to spell check and discovered I can't spell jurisdiction to save my life. I've heard that Shaw has been late before tho, possibly on TLS when I was reading CLS threads as I was applying. I don't think the checkmarks correlated to anything. I really have no idea how I did in that class. Should have waken up earlier but it was SO HARD #firstworldproblems

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby piccolittle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 pm

Guchster wrote:
Ship87 wrote:Also waiting on the Shaw grade. Although when it comes in I'll miss the days of blissful ignorance


Lol, people are PISSSSEEEEEDDD in the facebook group.

I'm so screwed in that class. The curve is going to balls to the wall hardcore.

I mean the exam itself was sooo short, simple, and narrow--it's going to be impossible to differentiate between exams. But as the only model response provided was based on how many lines of checkmarks you got (which corresponded with how many lines you wrote total), maybe this doesn't matter. Why is this taking so long to grade?


Yeah if answer length is the only way he grades these things, I'm guaranteed a C- (factoring in also my utter lack of class attendance). Seriously, Shaw can keep keep keep keep my grade. Forever.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby sundance95 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 pm

You all got a model answer before a grade? Sounds like the 1L equivalent of waterboarding.

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby piccolittle » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:46 pm

sundance95 wrote:You all got a model answer before a grade? Sounds like the 1L equivalent of waterboarding.


Haha no it was the only model answer available for any past exam, and it was for one that was given a few years ago. The answer was pretty horrendous and impossible to understand, but our prof is completely enamored with it and has been giving it out for years.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby cardinals1989 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:05 pm

piccolittle wrote:
sundance95 wrote:You all got a model answer before a grade? Sounds like the 1L equivalent of waterboarding.


Haha no it was the only model answer available for any past exam, and it was for one that was given a few years ago. The answer was pretty horrendous and impossible to understand, but our prof is completely enamored with it and has been giving it out for years.


Highlights of the answer included a comment about how the writer's math wasn't good and that is why he went to law school...

Dear lord, if he wrote a model answer, we wouldn't get back the grades until June. (Although I am not so sure that that won't be the case anyway...)

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:08 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
sundance95 wrote:You all got a model answer before a grade? Sounds like the 1L equivalent of waterboarding.


Haha no it was the only model answer available for any past exam, and it was for one that was given a few years ago. The answer was pretty horrendous and impossible to understand, but our prof is completely enamored with it and has been giving it out for years.


Highlights of the answer included a comment about how the writer's math wasn't good and that is why he went to law school...

Dear lord, if he wrote a model answer, we wouldn't get back the grades until June. (Although I am not so sure that that won't be the case anyway...)


don't forget "extra credit for recognizing it was a leap year"

barf. lolz, i brought a fucking calendar into the exam in preparation of this question.

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mel2010 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Haha yeah...I saw that model answer and was like "oh so I guess we're supposed to write poorly and if possible repeat points a bunch of times!" So we'll see. If we ever see...

ETA: fellow CLSers, have any of your profs said anything about returning exams / sending out model answers?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:53 pm

mel2010 wrote:Haha yeah...I saw that model answer and was like "oh so I guess we're supposed to write poorly and if possible repeat points a bunch of times!" So we'll see. If we ever see...

ETA: fellow CLSers, have any of your profs said anything about returning exams / sending out model answers?


Nope, but we can definitely go talk to them about ours.

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby neimanmarxist » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Guchster wrote:
kmap wrote:2L at HLS ... I can't speak to other schools, but I can honestly tell you that grades here actually DO NOT matter. I didn't do as well as I wanted first semester (got mostly P's) and fell into a months-long grade-related depression. Fast forward to last August and I had my pick of top-10 law firms, as did almost all of my friends (and believe me, they weren't all above median). Anecdotally, I've heard of one student getting multiple LP's in their first year and ending up at a top 20 firm in Boston. I'm sure there are other instances of this happening that I don't know about. Unless you are an unbearable human being, you will get your pick of quality jobs out of HLS. So all of you young gunners need to simmer down, talk to upperclassmen, and get some perspective. Don't have a mental breakdown like I did ... it's not worth it and you will be loving life once firms and public interest orgs start pitching offers your way.


What a nice HLS poaster in light of this thread. Be nice of other 2Ls could post success stories at their schools now,as most of us have grades ('cept for SHAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at CLS, which may end up being the last grade distributed at any law school in the US)

*cue MTal*


NYU 2L who knew multiple individuals at and below median with multiple offers in the v25.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:10 pm

mel2010 wrote:Haha yeah...I saw that model answer and was like "oh so I guess we're supposed to write poorly and if possible repeat points a bunch of times!" So we'll see. If we ever see...

ETA: fellow CLSers, have any of your profs said anything about returning exams / sending out model answers?


One professor offered to let us pick up our exams with a packet of model answers. We have to compare our answers to the model answer and then go in to talk to him about ONE of the three questions, and ONLY one. Super crazy. Hated the class.

piccolittle, guess which FUCKING SUBJECT this was in.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: chicharon, Google [Bot] and 8 guests