1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
birdlaw117

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:03 am

bdubs wrote:That's what happens when you go to Havahad, you forget about all of those little people at pitiful T6s

It's true.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:06 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
bdubs wrote:That's what happens when you go to Havahad, you forget about all of those little people at pitiful T6s

It's true.

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

It's true.

Oh hai.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:21 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

It's true.

Noooo. Birdlaw knows I'm joking. We're best friendsies. :mrgreen:

protein

Postby protein » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:53 am

still no grades from duke

some days I feel like I did well, some days I feel like I'm destined to be bottom of the class

halp

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:05 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:

It's true.

Oh hai.

sargell83

Postby sargell83 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:57 pm

the grades are coming out on friday at GW...

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Only a few more hours until grades are released at my school. I just want to see them and get it over with....... All day they have been sending emails and leaving papers saying that grades don't matter so much and it's only one semster. They even left candy in one of my classes. I think they believe if they say it enough it'll actually be true.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:37 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Only a few more hours until grades are released at my school. I just want to see them and get it over with....... All day they have been sending emails and leaving papers saying that grades don't matter so much and it's only one semster. They even left candy in one of my classes. I think they believe if they say it enough it'll actually be true.

How do you plan to suicide things go badly? I had prepared cyanide for myself.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:39 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Only a few more hours until grades are released at my school. I just want to see them and get it over with....... All day they have been sending emails and leaving papers saying that grades don't matter so much and it's only one semster. They even left candy in one of my classes. I think they believe if they say it enough it'll actually be true.

The fact that they are pushing the "grades don't matter" line so hard at Harvard seems odd to me. As close as that is true at Harvard (that grades are arguably less important than at other places), it seems like just being relaxed about it would make more sense rather than constantly inundating 1L's with that line right before grades come out.

I've heard other schools giving out this "don't worry about grades" line, but at NU they basically said nothing which I really preferred.

delusional

Postby delusional » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:44 pm

I am more tense about this than anyone I know, but I don't agree with you. It's a big deal now, but it won't be in a few weeks.

hiya

Postby hiya » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Last edited by hiya on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 pm

They comforted people at my school by saying that only assholes get A's.

I thought I posted this earlier.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:22 pm

HLS grades are out

shock259

Postby shock259 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:45 pm

We've gotten like 4 lectures about how grades don't matter. Letter from Dean, lectures from profs, emails from past profs, and a lunch panel. Go to a T1

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:50 pm

shock259 wrote:We've gotten like 4 lectures about how grades don't matter. Letter from Dean, lectures from profs, emails from past profs, and a lunch panel. Go to a T1

Dropout prevention.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

shock259 wrote:We've gotten like 4 lectures about how grades don't matter. Letter from Dean, lectures from profs, emails from past profs, and a lunch panel. Go to a T1

skeptical poster is skeptical

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Dropout prevention.

Exactly. We had the same thing - "grades don't matter," "don't worry about your rank too much," etc.

During an alumni panel a partner at a midsize firm laughed and assured us that they do.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:27 pm

bk1 wrote:

The fact that they are pushing the "grades don't matter" line so hard at Harvard seems odd to me. As close as that is true at Harvard (that grades are arguably less important than at other places), it seems like just being relaxed about it would make more sense rather than constantly inundating 1L's with that line right before grades come out.

I've heard other schools giving out this "don't worry about grades" line, but at NU they basically said nothing which I really preferred.

It doesn't seem odd to me. Hundreds of people who have never received less than perfect grades are about to receive ... imperfection. Some will prob lose their shit.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:
bk1 wrote:

It doesn't seem odd to me. Hundreds of people who have never received less than perfect grades are about to receive ... imperfection. Some will prob lose their shit.

Is that a joke?

Unless you have a 4.0+/180LSAT then you have experienced imperfection.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:30 pm

NYC Law wrote:It doesn't seem odd to me. Hundreds of people who have never received less than perfect grades are about to receive ... imperfection. Some will prob lose their shit.

I mean I think message is okay. But harping on it over and over makes them seem disingenuous and is self-defeating to their goal, imo.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Is that a joke?

Are you really striving this hard to be a pedantic cocktard?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:32 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Is that a joke?

Clearly it was not meant to mean literal perfection. I mean you have an incoming 50th percentile GPA of 3.8 who are then forced onto a curve where the 50th percentile is a 3.3 (at a T14).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:33 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Are you really striving this hard to be a pedantic cocktard?

Much better response than I gave.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:37 pm

Unless these people have done well in an undergrad major that curves, and assuming they know what a curve does, they have figured out long before grades come out that there is a 50/50 chance they will end up above median while competing against intellectual peers and not a bunch of undergrad morons.

Knowing this, are you telling me some people will be SHOCKED at how they do in law school?

If so that's just arrogance, and if some arrogant people LOSE THEIR SHIT after they get their grades back, WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT.

That's just how arrogant people respond to being told that they aren't special.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”