1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:16 pm

Just so you are all clear, this is an example of what to do:

spets wrote:I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

Contracts: A
Civ Pro: A
Torts: A-
Legal Methods: B+
Legal Writing: A

This is beyond anything I expected. Although I'd be devastated, I literally would not be surprised if this was a clerical error. I'm so extremely thankful. I think I'm going to take the rest of this week off.


and this is an example of what NOT to do:

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

I'll just have to step my game up this semester.

lawyerwannabe
Posts: 945
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm

Grades in a week! Yay!

Anything above median and I will be stoked!

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:02 pm

You need another GPA and its corresponding rank to estimate.

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby dcgirl1013 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Dany wrote:You need another GPA and its corresponding rank to estimate.



Okay, thanks anyways!

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:08 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!


I can at least tell you your school would have to have a very wicked curve for you to not be top third. You're prob at least top 25%. Can't really get any more detailed than that though without more info.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:13 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!

That's probably closer to top 10%, but as Dany said, you need another data point in order to estimate.

User avatar
cholza00
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:07 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby cholza00 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:16 pm

dcgirl1013 wrote:Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!


If you're at Emory, you're at least in the top 10%... probably a decent bit higher... congrats!

User avatar
johansantana21
Posts: 855
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby johansantana21 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:30 am

dcgirl1013 wrote:Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!


That SHOULD be around top 10%.

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby theavrock » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am

Well I am officially median pwned.

Pretty shocked. I was sitting with a 3.5 then got my last two grades (both B-) and dropped to a 3.1 which is literally median.

dcgirl1013
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby dcgirl1013 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 pm

Wow awesome! Thank you! I was trying not to get my hopes up but I am even more excited now!! :)

cholza00 wrote:
dcgirl1013 wrote:Our ranking/percentages won't be out til next week but I found out today I got a 3.75 gpa and our curve average is a 3.3... Does anyone know around where that should put me percentage wise? I'm guessing at least top 1/3? (Which was my goal) Thanks!


If you're at Emory, you're at least in the top 10%... probably a decent bit higher... congrats!

User avatar
drmguy
Posts: 1016
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:43 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby drmguy » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:52 pm

When people talk about top 5% are they referring to the 1L class or all students combined? I found out my school does both.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:59 pm

drmguy wrote:When people talk about top 5% are they referring to the 1L class or all students combined? I found out my school does both.


Usually 1L classes. First year classes are pretty much always large, curved classes, but upperclassmen are generally able to take seminar classes with less stringent grading requirements.

User avatar
DocHawkeye
Posts: 640
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:22 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:29 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Sandro wrote:[

I would rather sit through 3 hours of contracts than have 5 3 credit classes in addition to graded LRW. This semester with only 4 classes + shorter LRW is like a breeze ..... not sure why they would frontload the schedule for 1L .

I haven't heard of a single school that does 5 doctrinal classes + LRW. We had 4 doctrinal + LRW for 5 total classes. I haven't heard of anywhere doing 6 classes.


Nebraska's 1L Schedule is

Fall:
Civ Pro (3 hrs)
Contracts (3 hrs)
Crim (3 hrs)
Property (3 hrs)
Torts (3 hrs)
LRW (3 hrs, graded)
18 hrs total

Spring:
Civ Pro (3 hrs)
Contracts (3 hrs)
Property (3 hrs)
Torts (3 hrs)
LRW (3 hrs, graded)
15 hrs total

This is going to change next year, but I don't know how, exactly.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Fuck.

Lysis
Posts: 190
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Lysis » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm

I haven't posted since application season, but I'm starting to go cuckoo waiting for last semester's grades and I needed somewhere I knew I could come to say:

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Why does it take 5+ weeks to get us our grades? :?

User avatar
lifestooquick
Posts: 1200
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

I'm trying to not act like a crazy person about grades IRL, so it's all getting funneled here, lol. They come out at 4:30pm tomorrow. I don't know how the hell I'm going to get through my day full of classes calmly :?

mrsgreen
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mrsgreen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:30 pm

Fairly regular user under a different name.

I got my grades: A-, A-, B+

I'm feeling kind of upset about them. Someone slap me and make me stop being a perfectionist. It's just disheartening to put your all in something and not do perfectly, but that's life and i know i'm not a special snowflake. #lawlschoolproblems

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:32 pm

mrsgreen wrote:Fairly regular user under a different name.

I got my grades: A-, A-, B+

I'm feeling kind of upset about them. Someone slap me and make me stop being a perfectionist. It's just disheartening to put your all in something and not do perfectly, but that's life and i know i'm not a special snowflake. #lawlschoolproblems


ugh.

traehekat wrote:Just so you are all clear, this is an example of what to do:

spets wrote:I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

Contracts: A
Civ Pro: A
Torts: A-
Legal Methods: B+
Legal Writing: A

This is beyond anything I expected. Although I'd be devastated, I literally would not be surprised if this was a clerical error. I'm so extremely thankful. I think I'm going to take the rest of this week off.


and this is an example of what NOT to do:

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

I'll just have to step my game up this semester.

mrsgreen
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mrsgreen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:38 pm

NYC Law wrote:
mrsgreen wrote:Fairly regular user under a different name.

I got my grades: A-, A-, B+

I'm feeling kind of upset about them. Someone slap me and make me stop being a perfectionist. It's just disheartening to put your all in something and not do perfectly, but that's life and i know i'm not a special snowflake. #lawlschoolproblems


ugh.

traehekat wrote:Just so you are all clear, this is an example of what to do:

spets wrote:I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

Contracts: A
Civ Pro: A
Torts: A-
Legal Methods: B+
Legal Writing: A

This is beyond anything I expected. Although I'd be devastated, I literally would not be surprised if this was a clerical error. I'm so extremely thankful. I think I'm going to take the rest of this week off.


and this is an example of what NOT to do:

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

I'll just have to step my game up this semester.


you're so right! i just needed someone to tell me i'm being stupid. i'm being stupid! i dont want to talk about grades with any of my classmates, and people outside of the law school community i feel like don't get it the same way. so thank you :mrgreen:

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby beachbum » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:53 pm

I wish I could bitch about my objectively good grades.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:54 pm

mrsgreen wrote:Fairly regular user under a different name.

I got my grades: A-, A-, B+

I'm feeling kind of upset about them. Someone slap me and make me stop being a perfectionist. It's just disheartening to put your all in something and not do perfectly, but that's life and i know i'm not a special snowflake. #lawlschoolproblems

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

mrsgreen wrote:Fairly regular user under a different name.

I got my grades: A-, A-, B+

I'm feeling kind of upset about them. Someone slap me and make me stop being a perfectionist. It's just disheartening to put your all in something and not do perfectly, but that's life and i know i'm not a special snowflake. #lawlschoolproblems

You poor thing.

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby mel2010 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 pm

Lysis wrote:I haven't posted since application season, but I'm starting to go cuckoo waiting for last semester's grades and I needed somewhere I knew I could come to say:

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Why does it take 5+ weeks to get us our grades? :?

+1. As far as I know my CivPro section is the last of CLS 1Ls to be missing a grade, and the "deadline" isn't for another week.

LawMan20
Posts: 90
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby LawMan20 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:57 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Sandro wrote:[

I would rather sit through 3 hours of contracts than have 5 3 credit classes in addition to graded LRW. This semester with only 4 classes + shorter LRW is like a breeze ..... not sure why they would frontload the schedule for 1L .

I haven't heard of a single school that does 5 doctrinal classes + LRW. We had 4 doctrinal + LRW for 5 total classes. I haven't heard of anywhere doing 6 classes.


Nebraska's 1L Schedule is

Fall:
Civ Pro (3 hrs)
Contracts (3 hrs)
Crim (3 hrs)
Property (3 hrs)
Torts (3 hrs)
LRW (3 hrs, graded)
18 hrs total

Spring:
Civ Pro (3 hrs)
Contracts (3 hrs)
Property (3 hrs)
Torts (3 hrs)
LRW (3 hrs, graded)
15 hrs total

This is going to change next year, but I don't know how, exactly.


Wow. That's messed up. Our semester is cake compared to that. 3 doctrinal classes and LRW each semester.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSNbot Media and 10 guests