1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC Law

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 am

Sandro wrote:
quixotical wrote:Today I FINALLY got my last grade, and it was an A in Crim-- definitely worth the wait, as anxiety-inducing as the wait was!

Final breakdown:

Crim: A
Torts: A-
Contracts: B
Legal Writing (2 credits): A-
Legal Research (1 credit): B-

Overall my GPA is a little over a 3.5, putting me near the top 20% of the class (I think). I'm just so relieved because I honestly had no idea what my Crim grade was going to be, but I knew it would either relegate me to median or put me over. I feel much more energized now to really apply myself this semester. I'm disappointed in myself for my contracts grade-- I didn't pay enough attention/study hard enough for that class, and I know I could have done much better had I not just gone through the motions.

Anyway, I'm so glad the wait is over-- for everyone else still anxiously awaiting their grades, try not to let the negative self-talk take over. Good luck!!!

You guys only had 3 substantive classes in addition to LRW ??? whatttt . Must have been nice.

Same type of schedule here. I guess it's nice, if you happen to enjoy sitting through 3 straight hours of Contracts.

Dale

Postby Dale » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:43 pm

Here is a puzzling grading scenario. I hear A+ grades are extremely rare, on the other had I hear there are “X number” of A+ grades that have to be distributed. Which is it? They must distribute “X number” of A-plus grades, or can the professor decide not to award A+ grades (or fewer than allowed)?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:46 pm

Dale wrote:Here is a puzzling grading scenario. I hear A+ grades are extremely rare, on the other had I hear there are “X number” of A+ grades that have to be distributed. Which is it? They must distribute “X number” of A-plus grades, or can the professor decide not to award A+ grades (or fewer than allowed)?

Google your school's curve. It depends completely on the school. Some only have discretionary A+s, while some places require 2% A+s

quixotical

Postby quixotical » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Sandro wrote:You guys only had 3 substantive classes in addition to LRW ??? whatttt . Must have been nice.

Same type of schedule here. I guess it's nice, if you happen to enjoy sitting through 3 straight hours of Contracts.

lol!

And for a lot of schools LRW isn't graded, or it if is, it's not graded on a curve, so there is that too.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:05 pm

quixotical wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
Sandro wrote:
quixotical wrote:Today I FINALLY got my last grade, and it was an A in Crim-- definitely worth the wait, as anxiety-inducing as the wait was!

Final breakdown:

Crim: A
Contracts: B
Legal Writing (2 credits): A-
Legal Research (1 credit): B-

Overall my GPA is a little over a 3.5, putting me near the top 20% of the class (I think). I'm just so relieved because I honestly had no idea what my Crim grade was going to be, but I knew it would either relegate me to median or put me over. I feel much more energized now to really apply myself this semester. I'm disappointed in myself for my contracts grade-- I didn't pay enough attention/study hard enough for that class, and I know I could have done much better had I not just gone through the motions.

Anyway, I'm so glad the wait is over-- for everyone else still anxiously awaiting their grades, try not to let the negative self-talk take over. Good luck!!!

You guys only had 3 substantive classes in addition to LRW ??? whatttt . Must have been nice.

lol!

And for a lot of schools LRW isn't graded, or it if is, it's not graded on a curve, so there is that too.

I would rather sit through 3 hours of contracts than have 5 3 credit classes in addition to graded LRW. This semester with only 4 classes + shorter LRW is like a breeze ..... not sure why they would frontload the schedule for 1L .

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:13 pm

Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

I'll just have to step my game up this semester.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Sandro wrote:
I would rather sit through 3 hours of contracts than have 5 3 credit classes in addition to graded LRW. This semester with only 4 classes + shorter LRW is like a breeze ..... not sure why they would frontload the schedule for 1L .

We had the opposite- 3 substantive classes first semester, 4 second semester. I wish we had the more intense semester first because this spring I'm missing days of classes from now until March for interviews and it won't be easy catching up.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Sandro wrote:[

I haven't heard of a single school that does 5 doctrinal classes + LRW. We had 4 doctrinal + LRW for 5 total classes. I haven't heard of anywhere doing 6 classes.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:31 pm

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

Go slap yourself you insufferable prick.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts. I'm really pissed, my worst substantive grade and I felt like I nailed it. Brings my GPA down to a 3.6; which on our curve should put me around ~10%. I mean, still good, just wish I would've gotten an A on it, I knew everything inside and out... :?

Wow this sucks. I hope you have a back up plan for life.

Postby 071816 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Top 10%? How can you live with yourself you useless piece of shit?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:48 pm

Guchster wrote:

Wow this sucks. I hope you have a back up plan for life.

Seriously ~10% is terrible. How could you possibly do that poorly? Were you dropped on your head as a baby?

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 pm

what the fuck is wrong with people in this thread? is this supposed to be a joke?

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:13 pm

Well got 3 of my grades in and supposedly our last grade isn't going to come in for another week, so I'll update since I just got my 3rd grade in.

Torts: B
Contracts: No grade yet
Property: A-
Civ Pro: A-

I'm a tad bit happy but also really worried right now, because I've been within 1/2 a letter grade correct on every single one of my guesses, and right now I'm expecting a B or B- in contracts, so not looking forward to that one.

Either way, if I can get a B or above on contracts and end at median, I'm ok with that

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:19 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

what the fuck is wrong with people in this thread? is this supposed to be a joke?

I always envisioned this thread as a monument to ass burger's, to memorialize it for future generations.

spets

Postby spets » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 pm

I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

Contracts: A
Civ Pro: A
Legal Methods: B+
Legal Writing: A

This is beyond anything I expected. Although I'd be devastated, I literally would not be surprised if this was a clerical error. I'm so extremely thankful. I think I'm going to take the rest of this week off.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:28 pm

spets wrote:I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

This is beyond anything I expected. Although I'd be devastated, I literally would not be surprised if this was a clerical error. I'm so extremely thankful. I think I'm going to take the rest of this week off.

Nice job! And congrats on not reacting like a tool.

quixotical

Postby quixotical » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:29 pm

PinkCow wrote:
spets wrote:I rarely post on TLS, but I enjoy lurking because I'm the world's worst procrastinator. After my first semester at my T-30, I was convinced I was doomed for median or below because I felt like everyone was smarter than me, and I was burnt out by the exams rolled around. However, I received my grades today, and I'm speechless - I felt like every grade I received was better than I deserved.

Nice job! And congrats on not reacting like a tool.

+1

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:10 pm

I guess if you're satisfied with a B+ ... :roll:

*Note: I'm just mocking other posters ITT. Congrats on the kick ass grades.

Michaela

Postby Michaela » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:01 pm

Retake.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:30 pm

bk1 wrote:I always envisioned this thread as a monument to ass burger's, to memorialize it for future generations.

:lol:

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:32 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:

Crossarmant has been particularly egregious in this thread. He earlier posted something similar about being disappointed before he got the B+ in contracts which so severely pulled down his grade.

Way to be a douche-nozzle!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:33 pm

crossarmant wrote:Last grade finally in... B+ in Contracts.

Unacceptable. I would drop out immediately.

JK. I got a B+ in contracts.

Guchster

Postby Guchster » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:35 pm

Michaela wrote:

Retake.

This. Don't waste that GPA on contracts.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:07 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:

Crossarmant has been particularly egregious in this thread. He earlier posted something similar about being disappointed before he got the B+ in contracts which so severely pulled down his grade.

Way to be a douche-nozzle!

Not trying to be an asshole. I'm at a TT and I want to transfer (Not terribly fond of my school or the location). That and K's prof curved the class so that there were 3 As and then 20 B+s

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”