1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Haymarket wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Some of us will be back in this thread come mid-march. :(

why are your finals so early?

lolquartersystem.

Ohh, I didn't know about that, that sucks.

japes

Postby japes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:35 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
japes wrote:Congrats! I should note that not all Texas grades are in - apparently the word on the street is profs get a 2-week extension if they ask. Looks like my small section prof did that.

Thanks! And sorry about that, you'd think a prof with only ~23 students could get 'em done in 5 weeks. Good luck.

Thanks. He just sent us an email about grades ("As always, I know some of you are very happy and some of you very disappointed...") but nothing yet. Are we going to have to wait until Monday or are these going to post sometime in the next 24 hours?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:54 pm

japes wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:
japes wrote:Congrats! I should note that not all Texas grades are in - apparently the word on the street is profs get a 2-week extension if they ask. Looks like my small section prof did that.

Thanks! And sorry about that, you'd think a prof with only ~23 students could get 'em done in 5 weeks. Good luck.

Thanks. He just sent us an email about grades ("As always, I know some of you are very happy and some of you very disappointed...") but nothing yet. Are we going to have to wait until Monday or are these going to post sometime in the next 24 hours?

We got a similar email from our Ks professor and the grade showed up on the grades page w/in 12 hours.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:08 pm

Congrats to everyone with grades! I kind of hate my school right now... at least 10 more days until they're posted. I'm totally living vicariously through people in this thread.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:15 pm

stewie27 wrote:Congrats to everyone with grades! I kind of hate my school right now... at least 10 more days until they're posted. I'm totally living vicariously through people in this thread.

Wow. Assuming you finished in December, that is an obnoxiously long time to wait for grades. I thought my 29 days to get all grades was unbearable. WTF could take so damn long to grade?

japes

Postby japes » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:22 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
stewie27 wrote:Congrats to everyone with grades! I kind of hate my school right now... at least 10 more days until they're posted. I'm totally living vicariously through people in this thread.

Wow. Assuming you finished in December, that is an obnoxiously long time to wait for grades. I thought my 29 days to get all grades was unbearable. WTF could take so damn long to grade?

The fact that the deadline is so late is probably the main factor in the length of time it takes to grade the finals.

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:25 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

The last day of finals was Dec. 16th, and we started classes this semester Jan 9th. One of my professors casually mentioned to me last week that he hadn't even looked at our exams yet. (We had his final Dec. 5th). Thanks, asshat, glad we all pay so much for your salary.

danget bobby

Postby danget bobby » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:32 pm

Criminal Law B+
K's B+
Torts B
Legal Writing A

Inverse relationship FT....Median, sigh

Need to make adjustments obv; these grades are not for a lack of effort. But really: I have no debt and really want to be a lawyer, so the fact that I'm in law school = life is good.

Off to get shitfaced/return to lurking, GL all!

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:35 pm

zonto wrote:
LSATNightmares wrote:BU's grades all came out this afternoon, too. What is frustrating is we have no idea how we rank (top 10%, 25%, etc.) They won't tell us until the end of 1L. It's hard to figure out whether to celebrate or be sad. :-)

Page 36 of your Student Handbook has a rough answer. :wink:

How lame that you have an option for A+/4.3 on a 3.3 curve... :twisted:

True true, I also found this (http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/academic/honors.html). But I'm wondering if things change year to year or semester to semester. :-)

Light

Postby Light » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:33 pm

UChi, representing the south side of the Median. Whoopie!

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:03 am

11 more days until we get our grades back. Dear lord this is a long wait (close to 60 days after our first exam)!

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:15 am

Light wrote:UChi, representing the south side of the Median. Whoopie!

Be thankful those grades are worth less than 1/6 of your total grades for the year. Figure out what went wrong and adjust, you'll be just fine.

Supreme

Postby Supreme » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:33 am

+1

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:26 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:11 more days until we get our grades back. Dear lord this is a long wait (close to 60 days after our first exam)!

We should be getting some back next week, I hope. Still haven't gotten any. This sucks. I have never had to wait this long. I was lucky as an undergrad, the school turned around grades in one week.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:31 am

Emma. wrote:

Be thankful those grades are worth less than 1/6 of your total grades for the year. Figure out what went wrong and adjust, you'll be just fine.

How does that work? 1st semester grades in total only account for 1/6 of your grades for the year?

Emma.

Postby Emma. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:59 am

johansantana21 wrote:
Emma. wrote:

How does that work? 1st semester grades in total only account for 1/6 of your grades for the year?

Quarter system. 3 sets of exams that are respectively worth roughly 1/6, 1/3, and 1/2 your grade. 50% more exams sucks, but it is really nice to have the chance to take your first law school exams without having half your year's grade riding on them.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Whenever someone from Duke posts in this thread, part of me dies inside.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:00 pm

beachbum wrote:Whenever someone from Duke posts in this thread, part of me dies inside.

Out of curiosity, does that mean part of you dies inside when you post in this thread?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:21 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
beachbum wrote:Whenever someone from Duke posts in this thread, part of me dies inside.

Out of curiosity, does that mean part of you dies inside when you post in this thread?

Part of me dies when I post in any thread.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

beachbum wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Part of me dies when I post in any thread.

Hope you did well bro, I remember you from 0L times and you seemed like a standup dood.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Emma. wrote:Quarter system. 3 sets of exams that are respectively worth roughly 1/6, 1/3, and 1/2 your grade. 50% more exams sucks, but it is really nice to have the chance to take your first law school exams without having half your year's grade riding on them.

Grades aren't equally divided by quarters? That is just odd.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:42 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Hope you did well bro, I remember you from 0L times and you seemed like a standup dood.

Appreciate it. I'm definitely riding that roller coaster: one day I'll feel like I'm top 10%; the next I'll Know with Absolute Certainty that I bombed. And we've still got another 10 days to go...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:49 pm

bk1 wrote:
Emma. wrote:Quarter system. 3 sets of exams that are respectively worth roughly 1/6, 1/3, and 1/2 your grade. 50% more exams sucks, but it is really nice to have the chance to take your first law school exams without having half your year's grade riding on them.

Well most substantive classes are two quarters long. 1st quarter we have civ pro 1 and elements (both graded at the end of the quarter) and the first half of two substantive classes (torts and crim for me). 2nd quarter we have the second half of those two substantive classes (the full grades for both coming at the end of 2nd quarter) and the first half of two more substantive classes (property and contracts for me). Third quarter we have the second half of those two classes (the full grades for both coming at the end of 3rd quarter), plus we have civ pro 2 and our elective. So if you look at mathematically it makes sense. 1st quarter we have finals for two 1/2 classes, 2nd quarter we have finals for two 1 classes, and third quarter we have finals for two 1 classes and two 1/2 classes. So 1:2:3 ratio.

Oh, plus LRW.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:57 pm

beachbum wrote:Part of me dies when I post in any thread.

lol I love this.

bk1 wrote:

It's so awesome. The first quarter of law school was about as stress-free and low-stakes as you can possibly get. Will I want to kill myself next quarter? Probably, but I don't have to think about that yet. :D

Light

Postby Light » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Emma. wrote:

Yeah thanks, I'm not emailing Gardener about when the suicide booths will open in the Green lounge or anything, but I am a bit bleh considering this may affect summer employment decisions? Oh well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”