1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SullaFelix

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby SullaFelix » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:56 am

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:00 am

SullaFelix wrote:.

I saw what you said. Fuck you, good sir.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:04 am

NYC Law wrote:
SullaFelix wrote:.

I saw what you said. Fuck you, good sir.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:01 am

r6_philly wrote:I want to comment on civ pro but I want to see my grade first.

haha, I can corroborate that my civ pro grade has had a large favorable effect on how I feel about the class now compared to how I did the last week of school

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:06 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Reviewing exams so far I've learned that all it does it not clarify what you did well and what you didn't do well and it reaffirms the belief that at a certain point it's all arbitrary and subject to the professor's mood at the time.

I will report back after my exam review session with my prof., but I've heard the opposite.

Well today I looked at my property exam vs. the model answers we were given (granted they were student answers) and i felt fine with my grades on the first two questions. On the third question, I compared mine to the model and I hit every issue that it did. I honestly didn't see something on there I missed and I touched on 95% of the same policy things they did as well. They got 30 points on the question and I got 20 points. I'm going to meet with my prof to see where I lost those 10 points, but it was frustrating to not see any blatantly noticeable differences between the answer that would warrant that many more points.

I didn't get nearly as detailed feedback as it appears that you did. I basically got: You wrote a good exam, but a few others wrote moderately better exams than you. You were a victim of the curve and were on the border between the grade you got and the next better grade.

Then I got a few tips on areas that I could have improved clarity, one area where he said that I could have covered more substantive law, and two small misstatements of substantive law. It was moderately helpful, but I left feeling that a lot of it was pretty arbitrary.

At least the arbitrariness seems to have worked more in my favor in other classes though, so no complaints there.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:31 pm

So, my contracts professor sent an email on Tuesdya saying that he had them all graded and was trying to pull the curve up as high as possible as allowed by the school. He said they'd be done and posted Wednesday; Friday and still no hint of a grade posted. I'm having nightmares about this grade... wtf.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Grades finally posted:

Ks: B+
Cim: A-
Torts: B
LRW: B+

I'm not really sure where I stand now. At Temple; well above median but outside top 25% - I think. Hopefully I can kill it this semester, but who the heck knows...

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm

Two weeks of second semester complete. Still no grades. Deadline is one week from today, so at least the pain will be fairly short.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm

bdubs wrote:
I didn't get nearly as detailed feedback as it appears that you did. I basically got: You wrote a good exam, but a few others wrote moderately better exams than you. You were a victim of the curve and were on the border between the grade you got and the next better grade.

Then I got a few tips on areas that I could have improved clarity, one area where he said that I could have covered more substantive law, and two small misstatements of substantive law. It was moderately helpful, but I left feeling that a lot of it was pretty arbitrary.

At least the arbitrariness seems to have worked more in my favor in other classes though, so no complaints there.

I have yet to get any substantive feedback. There were some check marks and notes on the first two questions and then nothing on the third, which made it seem like she had zoned out by that point and was just coasting. I'm hoping to meet with her and see where I lost points. All I have is two students answers to compare to.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:26 pm

Grades for UChi 1Ls are going to be released today, sometime after 3:30pm. Well, it was nice being a law student. :(

I won't be sharing grades on here since so many of my friends in the 1L class read and poast on TLS and because I'm so outed.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Grades for UChi 1Ls are going to be released today, sometime after 3:30pm. Well, it was nice being a law student. :(

I won't be sharing grades on here since so many of my friends in the 1L class read and poast on TLS and because I'm so outed.

+1

So looks like our record is one month and eight days since our final exam (and three weeks into our quarter) before getting grades.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:53 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Grades for UChi 1Ls are going to be released today, sometime after 3:30pm. Well, it was nice being a law student. :(

+1

So looks like our record is one month and eight days since our final exam (and three weeks into our quarter) before getting grades.

The way I see it, we've had 13 days of class in our 44-day quarter without knowing how we did last quarter (and thereby knowing if we need to dramatically change our study habits/life goals), and that 30% mark is absolutely a record. This quarter is almost a third of the way over, which is absurd.

More importantly, I just want pie now.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

+1

The way I see it, we've had 13 days of class in our 44-day quarter without knowing how we did last quarter (and thereby knowing if we need to dramatically change our study habits/life goals), and that 30% mark is absolutely a record. This quarter is almost a third of the way over, which is absurd.

More importantly, I just want pie now.

If I learned anything from that email, it's that we're paying $45k/year for pie.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:02 pm

Xifeng wrote:

+1

You guys could consider at least posting smiley faces to represent how you did.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:11 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Xifeng wrote:

+1

You guys could consider at least posting smiley faces to represent how you did.

Mine will be: :shock:

Interpret that, motherfuckers. XD

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:03 pm

We just got grades! I'm just excited to know how I did. I don't want to post anything too detailed, but I'll say that I am happy enough to stay here and not drop out.

Incidentally, it is funny how grades don't correlate to the amount of work you did. I did almost no studying for my last exam and I know I missed several major issues, but I did somewhat better on that than the exam for which I did 8 practice tests and thought I was totally prepared for. The one I did the best on was the one I felt completely confident about when I walked out of the room, so I guess there is that. I suppose I'll just start pretending that area of law is my favorite now.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:06 pm

cinephile wrote:We just got grades! I'm just excited to know how I did. I don't want to post anything too detailed, but I'll say that I am happy enough to stay here and not drop out.

Incidentally, it is funny how grades don't correlate to the amount of work you did. I did almost no studying for my last exam and I know I missed several major issues, but I did somewhat better on that than the exam for which I did 8 practice tests and thought I was totally prepared for. The one I did the best on was the one I felt completely confident about when I walked out of the room, so I guess there is that. I suppose I'll just start pretending that area of law is my favorite now.

Congrats!

And same here. The exam I prepped most for was my middle grade, one I prob did the absolute least for (don't think I even did practice tests) was my highest.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:22 pm

NYC Law wrote:
cinephile wrote:We just got grades! I'm just excited to know how I did. I don't want to post anything too detailed, but I'll say that I am happy enough to stay here and not drop out.

Congrats!

And same here. The exam I prepped most for was my middle grade, one I prob did the absolute least for (don't think I even did practice tests) was my highest.

Thanks, and if I haven't said it already, congratulations to you!

schand

Postby schand » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:24 pm

Reposting this in the more appropriate thread:

Ugh. I don't even know where to begin and perhaps this post will be to vent rather than something substantive. I just got my torts grade back and practically bombed it. I earned an A on both contracts and civil procedure this semester and then boom, B- in torts. I just don't know how it happened. I actually felt the most confident in that class. I know I need to go to my professor and review the exam, but why was Torts such a crap shoot? Have others had the same experience? What should I expect to tell employers? What will employers think when they look at these disparate grades? I am taking Property, Con law and crim law this semester. Should I be particularly careful in any of these classes? I mean, are any of these classes a crapshoot as well? I don't know where I went wrong. This is SO frustrating!!

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:41 pm

schand wrote:Reposting this in the more appropriate thread:

Ugh. I don't even know where to begin and perhaps this post will be to vent rather than something substantive. I just got my torts grade back and practically bombed it. I earned an A on both contracts and civil procedure this semester and then boom, B- in torts. I just don't know how it happened. I actually felt the most confident in that class. I know I need to go to my professor and review the exam, but why was Torts such a crap shoot? Have others had the same experience? What should I expect to tell employers? What will employers think when they look at these disparate grades? I am taking Property, Con law and crim law this semester. Should I be particularly careful in any of these classes? I mean, are any of these classes a crapshoot as well? I don't know where I went wrong. This is SO frustrating!!

I was least confident about Torts and ended up getting my best grade in it. Conversely I felt most prepared for CivPro but did worst on it. confidence levels are not a good gauge of performance typically.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:44 pm

Justathought wrote:Grades finally posted:

Ks: B+
Cim: A-
Torts: B
LRW: B+

I'm not really sure where I stand now. At Temple; well above median but outside top 25% - I think. Hopefully I can kill it this semester, but who the heck knows...

I'm endlessly pissed that they're making other sections wait until Monday for the rest of grades. We've only got two released so far.

Postby 23402385985 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:53 pm

edit
Last edited by 23402385985 on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Is it the norm for professors to make you wait until the end of Feb. to review exams/the memo with them?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:03 pm

Jessuf wrote:Is it the norm for professors to make you wait until the end of Feb. to review exams/the memo with them?

I have an appointment with one tomorrow to do it. I think some professors are just really busy right now. We only got our exams back yesterday, so I imagine there's a flood of requests right now.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:04 pm

Still waiting on a grade.

Edit: aaaaaand they're all out. Thank God the wait is over. I mostly managed to avoid any sort of stress or worry, but when the DOS sent out an email earlier today saying they'd be out sometime after 3:30 my stress level went from 0 - 60 in a fucking second.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”