1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
r6_philly

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:45 pm

paulinaporizkova wrote:Wow two grades in two days what the shit is going on here

We are still at 0. Supposed to get all 4 at the same time. Who knows.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:To you guys that did well this semester: Are you going to do the same thing? Less? or More?

It's been driving me nuts. I want to work much harder since I feel I didn't do much last semester, but I'm torn due to the idiom, "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

I'm doing more. Not because I want to try harder, but because this semester brings significantly more work. :( I HATE MOOT COURT.

smscat

Postby smscat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:17 pm

Got mine - disappointed. Two B's and a B+. And I got a B on the one I thought I did really well on and studied the hardest I ever have in my life for something - and I also got a B on the one I didn't understand and barely studied for. I felt like there was no relationship to my understanding or effort. I guess I'm below median which just sucks - I can't believe I did that poorly. I know it's not terrible (well maybe it is) but it's disappointing. I guess it's to be somewhat expected when you are with other hardworking students with good GPAs who probably have a knack for legal concepts as well. I'm not used to people who work so hard and study so hard - I've always been a minimal studier, and I stepped it way up compared to undergrad, but apparently not up enough. I still have no idea how I got a B on the one I thought I did best on because I really did think I studied enough - there were only so many example problems I could find with answers - the rest I was dependent on a study group for comparison so I just ran out of things to practice after a while. I wasn't missing issues. I guess it's just learning how to take the exam and I need to find more study materials earlier on. I will go see my professors. I will try and be more organized and do more reading and participation, but honestly, I don't really know how to improve.
Last edited by smscat on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:20 pm

ilovesf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:To you guys that did well this semester: Are you going to do the same thing? Less? or More?

It's been driving me nuts. I want to work much harder since I feel I didn't do much last semester, but I'm torn due to the idiom, "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

I'm doing more. Not because I want to try harder, but because this semester brings significantly more work. :( I HATE MOOT COURT.

I think I am going to up the efforts significantly. Mostly because I really like my classes this time.

I hate to say it, but I think I'm part of the 'I love Civ Pro' club.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:33 pm

NYC Law wrote:
I think I am going to up the efforts significantly. Mostly because I really like my classes this time.

I wish I could say that, my classes are much worse this semester. I have contracts, con law, crim law, immigration and moot court. I like con law and immigration, but the others are really uninspiring for me.

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 pm

NYC Law wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

NYC, you seemed like such a cool guy based on your posts...but I think I just lost all respect for you based on that.

(and I'm only saying that because I've only had two civ pro classes and already HATE it. it's going to take every ounce of effort I have not to completely slack off and fuck up in that class)

Apple Tree

Postby Apple Tree » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:36 pm

Got most grades back. Finally believe that the actual grades have no correlation with how one feels after the exams.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:37 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

NYC, you seemed like such a cool guy based on your posts...but I think I just lost all respect for you based on that.

(and I'm only saying that because I've only had two civ pro classes and already HATE it. it's going to take every ounce of effort I have not to completely slack off and fuck up in that class)

Haha our professor is just really good. A good prof can make pretty much anything interesting. But I'm also terrified, he grills the same person for an hour and a half. I'll probably hate that class with everything I have once my day comes.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:39 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:NYC, you seemed like such a cool guy based on your posts...but I think I just lost all respect for you based on that.

I hated civ pro until I started studying for the exam. I really liked it once everything made sense and I could put all of the pieces together at the end of the semester. It's a cool class because you really can't go to court/file a lawsuit, or basically anything, without this class. You can't say that about any other classes you take in your 1L.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:42 pm

I want to comment on civ pro but I want to see my grade first.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Apple Tree wrote:Got most grades back. Finally believe that the actual grades have no correlation with how one feels after the exams.

Yep. I felt the best after exams that I felt I was most prepared for/felt most comfortable about the subject matter. I thought that my preparation was related to feeling good about the exam. Interestingly enough, my best grades came in 2 classes that I felt confused in and even more confused on the test. Obviously there are many factors in play (e.g. others were lost in class, or on the exam). But I am shocked at my A in contracts when I felt like every class was like watching Inception.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:I want to comment on civ pro but I want to see my grade first.

Let this serve to preserve my objection to the anti-civ pro statements in this deposition.

smscat

Postby smscat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

ilovesf wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:NYC, you seemed like such a cool guy based on your posts...but I think I just lost all respect for you based on that.

I hated civ pro until I started studying for the exam. I really liked it once everything made sense and I could put all of the pieces together at the end of the semester. It's a cool class because you really can't go to court/file a lawsuit, or basically anything, without this class. You can't say that about any other classes you take in your 1L.

Yeah, that's my issue with civ pro. And all my classes to some extent. When I sit down and put it all together, it makes sense. But the meandering way we go about putting the pieces together makes it hard for me to focus. I should just put in the effort to review every night...but I don't. And because I'm so tired every morning as I take my notes, I never remember in detail what came before so it's hard for me to participate and make connections. Then once I read it all it makes total sense to me. I just need to work harder, but my professor is so meandering I always zone out - I'd rather just learn what the rules are with a little explanation than do a bunch of cases showing the progression of the law that no longer apply. I was a legal assistant so I have a feel for the process and the pleadings and all that, and the "theory" of due process is driving me crazy. It's not hard, just boring.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Still no grades. Life is glorious

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:17 pm

How does one e-mail grades to potential employers? I'm guessing screen shots aren't the way to go...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 pm

JaLeCa wrote:How does one e-mail grades to potential employers? I'm guessing screen shots aren't the way to go...

Print to PDF your unofficial transcript and send that. If you need to upload your grades to a website and the PDF is too large (I think this happened to me on Symplicity), copy the PDF pages as pictures into a Word document and the file size should be a lot more manageable.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:36 pm

bk1 wrote:
JaLeCa wrote:How does one e-mail grades to potential employers? I'm guessing screen shots aren't the way to go...

Print to PDF your unofficial transcript and send that. If you need to upload your grades to a website and the PDF is too large (I think this happened to me on Symplicity), copy the PDF pages as pictures into a Word document and the file size should be a lot more manageable.

Thanks a bunch!

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:56 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
Apple Tree wrote:Got most grades back. Finally believe that the actual grades have no correlation with how one feels after the exams.

Yep. I felt the best after exams that I felt I was most prepared for/felt most comfortable about the subject matter. I thought that my preparation was related to feeling good about the exam. Interestingly enough, my best grades came in 2 classes that I felt confused in and even more confused on the test. Obviously there are many factors in play (e.g. others were lost in class, or on the exam). But I am shocked at my A in contracts when I felt like every class was like watching Inception.

:lol:

Still no grades. I would really like to be put out of my misery already :|

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:10 am

I don't fee like I can give advice or take a position on anything given that I don't have any grades. Other folks had the classes that I had last semester, and if they ask me questions it's like... I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that.

I dunno. The lack of grades is really starting to grate on me.

Dany

Postby Dany » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:41 am

NYC Law wrote:
DreamsInDigital wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I hate to say it, but I think I'm part of the 'I love Civ Pro' club.

Haha our professor is just really good. A good prof can make pretty much anything interesting. But I'm also terrified, he grills the same person for an hour and a half. I'll probably hate that class with everything I have once my day comes.

I absolutely ADORE our Civ Pro prof, and she's a fantastic teacher. Probably the best 1L prof we've had.

Civ Pro is still fucking awful.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:44 am

Reviewing exams so far I've learned that all it does it not clarify what you did well and what you didn't do well and it reaffirms the belief that at a certain point it's all arbitrary and subject to the professor's mood at the time.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 am

Flips88 wrote:Reviewing exams so far I've learned that all it does it not clarify what you did well and what you didn't do well and it reaffirms the belief that at a certain point it's all arbitrary and subject to the professor's mood at the time.

I will report back after my exam review session with my prof., but I've heard the opposite.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:35 am

bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Reviewing exams so far I've learned that all it does it not clarify what you did well and what you didn't do well and it reaffirms the belief that at a certain point it's all arbitrary and subject to the professor's mood at the time.

I will report back after my exam review session with my prof., but I've heard the opposite.

Well today I looked at my property exam vs. the model answers we were given (granted they were student answers) and i felt fine with my grades on the first two questions. On the third question, I compared mine to the model and I hit every issue that it did. I honestly didn't see something on there I missed and I touched on 95% of the same policy things they did as well. They got 30 points on the question and I got 20 points. I'm going to meet with my prof to see where I lost those 10 points, but it was frustrating to not see any blatantly noticeable differences between the answer that would warrant that many more points.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:38 am

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Well today I looked at my property exam vs. the model answers we were given (granted they were student answers) and i felt fine with my grades on the first two questions. On the third question, I compared mine to the model and I hit every issue that it did. I honestly didn't see something on there I missed and I touched on 95% of the same policy things they did as well. They got 30 points on the question and I got 20 points. I'm going to meet with my prof to see where I lost those 10 points, but it was frustrating to not see any blatantly noticeable differences between the answer that would warrant that many more points.

That 5% extra that the other student wrote? Probably killed you bro.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:39 am

johansantana21 wrote:That 5% extra that the other student wrote? Probably killed you bro.

Notsureifsrs.jpg

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”