1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
knotoftoads

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby knotoftoads » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:16 pm

yea just went up :/

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 pm

knotoftoads wrote:yea just went up :/

fml. not fucking drunk enough yet. I've got an Irish liver, it takes a lot of booze to get me shitfaced, and I'm drinking slowly because I'm a coward. That's my one non-Irish trait.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 pm

thesteelers wrote:
knotoftoads wrote:yea just went up :/

fml. not fucking drunk enough yet. I've got an Irish liver, it takes a lot of booze to get me shitfaced, and I'm drinking slowly because I'm a coward. That's my one non-Irish trait.

Thank God. I've been refreshing all day. I'm glad to put first semester behind me.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 pm

wow. i got pwned.

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:59 pm

It looked and felt like a bloodbath in our halls today... :(

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:04 pm

zonto wrote:It looked and felt like a bloodbath in our halls today... :(

I thought that everyone was pretty stoic. Then again, dead-eyed despair = stoic?

i am so fucked.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Final 3 grades posted 2 minutes ago. Hopefully the air does not smell of death tomorrow in class.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:46 pm

thesteelers wrote:

I thought that everyone was pretty stoic. Then again, dead-eyed despair = stoic?

i am so fucked.

I dunno, I thought everyone was okay. I didn't see anyone openly sobbing anyway. I thankfully didn't catch anyone gloating either.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:47 pm

Someone was talking about grades in class today :evil:

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:Someone was talking about grades in class today :evil:

Was it your professor? One of ours did.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm

We got our exams back today. I was fine with my b+, until I saw today that my prof had written a+ then crossed it out and wrote b+. wtf.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:12 pm

To you guys that did well this semester: Are you going to do the same thing? Less? or More?

It's been driving me nuts. I want to work much harder since I feel I didn't do much last semester, but I'm torn due to the idiom, "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

kapital98

Postby kapital98 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:18 pm

ilovesf wrote:We got our exams back today. I was fine with my b+, until I saw today that my prof had written a+ then crossed it out and wrote b+. wtf.

That's too bad. Look on the bright side: You obviously know what you're doing. You almost aced the semester. Go talk with the professor to figure out why he bumped you down.

Depoorter's writing is essentially illegible. It's going to be embarrassing going into his office and asking what he wrote.

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:19 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:I dunno, I thought everyone was okay. I didn't see anyone openly sobbing anyway. I thankfully didn't catch anyone gloating either.

BC really isn't the "gloating" kind of place though. Most everyone seems pretty down-to-earth.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:24 pm

kapital98 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:We got our exams back today. I was fine with my b+, until I saw today that my prof had written a+ then crossed it out and wrote b+. wtf.

That's too bad. Look on the bright side: You obviously know what you're doing. You almost aced the semester. Go talk with the professor to figure out why he bumped you down.

Depoorter's writing is essentially illegible. It's going to be embarrassing going into his office and asking what he wrote.

It was probably just a mistake. Nobody gets "bumped down" from an A+ to a B+.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:40 pm

kapital98 wrote:

He wrote stuff on yours? He wrote absolutely nothing on mine, just underlined a couple of random words that have no significance to me. I'll go talk to him, I'm just nervous because I don't want to look like I'm complaining/whining or something.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I don't think it was a mistake because the original was in pen, then he crossed it out with marker and wrote it in larger letters again right next to it. I feel like maybe he probably awarded too many As or something and had to give more Bs.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:50 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
kapital98 wrote:

I don't think it was a mistake because the original was in pen, then he crossed it out with marker and wrote it in larger letters again right next to it. I feel like maybe he probably awarded too many As or something and had to give more Bs.

I don't know how the grading is at your school, but at a lot of schools, an A+ is the one or two highest grades in the course. Sometimes, there are none even given. B+ is often around median. An adjustment from an A+ to an A? Maybe. But from an A+ to a B+? If your professor has any idea what he's doing at all, it seems practically (and statistically) impossible.

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

I would agree, but then I can totally see one of my professors doing the exact same thing. Your exam probably didn't go as far down the stairs the second throw. :?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Yeah I understand that - but he is a young, new professor. I'm actually not sure at all that he knows what he is doing. :lol:

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 pm

ilovesf wrote:Yeah I understand that - but he is a young, new professor. I'm actually not sure at all that he knows what he is doing. :lol:

Then I would go to the prof, ask what I did wrong, and what I need to work on. But even on the unlikely chance that it was an adjustment because of the curve and not a mere mistake, don't expect him to admit that.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:05 pm

NYC Law wrote:To you guys that did well this semester: Are you going to do the same thing? Less? or More?

It's been driving me nuts. I want to work much harder since I feel I didn't do much last semester, but I'm torn due to the idiom, "if it's not broke, don't fix it"

I'm doing a little more, only because my crim and torts classes have been replaced with property and con law and from what I've heard, the two are somewhat more difficult than crim and torts. But you killed it man. If I were you I wouldn't make too many changes.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:12 pm

NYC Law wrote:To you guys that did well this semester: Are you going to do the same thing? Less? or More?

Exact same. If any one tiny thing, maybe, maybe, I'll hit up office hours more just to clear up little things. But, I mean... first semester I worked exactly when I thought it would be productive and stopped working when I felt like it would be counterproductive. So I don't want to do more. It is nice to know how to best allocate my time from the outset though, rather than, say, doing all the reading for legal writing until I realize 4 classes in that we haven't discussed or even remotely analyzed anything from the book for even a split second.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Wow two grades in two days what the shit is going on here

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 pm

Who has reading assignments for legal writing? :roll:

My professor wrote our book on Massachusetts legal research...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”