1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby 071816 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:12 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:you seem pretty intolerable.


+1

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:13 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Civ Pro grade just came in: A- Why am I upset at the minus? I graduated undergrad with a 2.3, yet I'm mad about an A- in Civil Procedure?

Just waiting on Contracts now; fingers crossed for an A. I felt fairly decent about that exam; without it yet I'm sitting at a 3.7 with a 3.0 curve, so let's hope.


Maybe I'm just in a mood, but you seem pretty intolerable.

I'm happy to celebrate people's successes, and your grades are clearly a success so far, but when you report your grades with a "oh I'm only getting a 3.7 with a 3.0 curve" you lose any celebration of your success.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby fatduck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 pm

yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm

fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit


Who else do we really get to brag to? We can't talk to folks at school. And your mom isn't going to understand why you weren't able to keep up the straight As that you got in high school.

But mostly, saying you're kinda disappointed that you're not the top 1% and only top 5-10% makes folks closer to median feel just a little more like shit.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm

fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.

Well, maybe not you, but definitely other Chicago students.

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.


That's what we like to hear.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:19 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.

Well, maybe not you, but definitely other Chicago students.


You rang?

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Xifeng wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Dany wrote:My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.

Well, maybe not you, but definitely other Chicago students.


You rang?

Shhhh. I'm trying to read about equitable servitudes.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:22 pm

Haymarket wrote:
Xifeng wrote:
Haymarket wrote:
Dany wrote:My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.

Well, maybe not you, but definitely other Chicago students.


You rang?

Shhhh. I'm trying to read about equitable servitudes.


I refuse to do any work until I see my 187s appear on that screen!

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.


That's what we like to hear.

To be fair, the lowest possible grade I can get is still 151 points higher than a 4.0.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

What sick and twisted grading system do you guys have over there?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby fatduck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Dany wrote:
fatduck wrote:yea this thread is for overt bragging

none of this faux-self-deprecating shit

My GPA will be higher than a 4.0, bitches.


That's what we like to hear.

To be fair, the lowest possible grade I can get is still 151 points higher than a 4.0.

or 152.7 points higher than the 2.3 you got in undergrad

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

NYC Law wrote:What sick and twisted grading system do you guys have over there?

155-186; 177 is median.

User avatar
Xifeng
Posts: 2562
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:59 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 pm

From Wikipedia (I have it saved):

180-186 A
174-179 B (177 median)
168-173 C
160-167 D
Below 160 F

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 pm

Dany wrote:
NYC Law wrote:What sick and twisted grading system do you guys have over there?

155-186; 177 is median.


9 pts between median and the top? Sounds rough.

And +1 to everything on this page. I like to talk about grades here since I only have like 1 other person I can talk about this stuff with (we got all the exact same grades), but don't be unappreciative for what many would kill for.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby fatduck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 pm

i just want to know when that asshole bk is going to post his grades

User avatar
thelaststraw05
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:47 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Xifeng wrote:From Wikipedia (I have it saved):

180-186 A
174-179 B (177 median)
168-173 C
160-167 D
Below 160 F


Why?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby 071816 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 pm

fatduck wrote:i just want to know when that asshole bk is going to post his grades


lol

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:33 pm

fatduck wrote:i just want to know when that asshole bk is going to post his grades


Philosopher King needs a new nickname, BK is as confusing as PK.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:36 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:From Wikipedia (I have it saved):

180-186 A
174-179 B (177 median)
168-173 C
160-167 D
Below 160 F


Why?

From some other thread:
We had a professor explain it to us, so here goes. They originally had a 100-point scale, but then decided that sent the wrong message, because not even a perfect student could get a 100 as there are always issues and arguments you simply didn't see, no matter how brilliant you are. So they changed to an 86-point scale to signify that even someone who got the best grade possible (86%) didn't get everything. [No idea why they decided on 86, though.] After a little while, students started complaining that they were being judged unfairly by employers, and that when employers saw an 85, they'd assume a ~B average even though it was really like an A+ average, so the administration added a 1 to the beginning of grades to clear this up. So now our grading system is 155-186, with a ~177 as the median in 1L classes.

User avatar
Guchster
Posts: 1205
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Guchster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:37 pm

crossarmant wrote:Civ Pro grade just came in: A- Why am I upset at the minus?


Image

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:38 pm

Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:From Wikipedia (I have it saved):

180-186 A
174-179 B (177 median)
168-173 C
160-167 D
Below 160 F


Why?

From some other thread:
We had a professor explain it to us, so here goes. They originally had a 100-point scale, but then decided that sent the wrong message, because not even a perfect student could get a 100 as there are always issues and arguments you simply didn't see, no matter how brilliant you are. So they changed to an 86-point scale to signify that even someone who got the best grade possible (86%) didn't get everything. [No idea why they decided on 86, though.] After a little while, students started complaining that they were being judged unfairly by employers, and that when employers saw an 85, they'd assume a ~B average even though it was really like an A+ average, so the administration added a 1 to the beginning of grades to clear this up. So now our grading system is 155-186, with a ~177 as the median in 1L classes.


That's one of the most retarded things I've ever heard. It just sounds like they're trying too hard to be different for no real reason.

User avatar
birdlaw117
Posts: 2167
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:19 am

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby birdlaw117 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:39 pm

Dany wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
Xifeng wrote:From Wikipedia (I have it saved):

180-186 A
174-179 B (177 median)
168-173 C
160-167 D
Below 160 F


Why?

From some other thread:
We had a professor explain it to us, so here goes. They originally had a 100-point scale, but then decided that sent the wrong message, because not even a perfect student could get a 100 as there are always issues and arguments you simply didn't see, no matter how brilliant you are. So they changed to an 86-point scale to signify that even someone who got the best grade possible (86%) didn't get everything. [No idea why they decided on 86, though.] After a little while, students started complaining that they were being judged unfairly by employers, and that when employers saw an 85, they'd assume a ~B average even though it was really like an A+ average, so the administration added a 1 to the beginning of grades to clear this up. So now our grading system is 155-186, with a ~177 as the median in 1L classes.

But the real question is why they went to the 86 point scale or the 186 point scale rather than just A, B, C when they weren't being judged comparably to students from other schools.

User avatar
Haymarket
Posts: 438
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:09 pm

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby Haymarket » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:40 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:But the real question is why they went to the 86 point scale or the 186 point scale rather than just A, B, C when they weren't being judged comparably to students from other schools.

Numbers are more precise then letters. HTH.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stubbazubba, Voynich, zeroplus and 10 guests