1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
thesteelers

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby thesteelers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:26 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Ugh. Nevermind. They're up. Median, median, median. Property needs to save my sorry ass. Looks like I have some gunning to do this semester.

:( Sorry to hear that. I'm just not checking until Property goes up tomorrow. It's like ripping a Band-Aid off - do it all at once and it'll be easier to bear.

I fully expect median or below median though, and I'm still trying to resign myself to the inevitable. It's hard. Part of me is completely in denial.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

If I get median grades I will absolutely destroy my liver out of happiness.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:23 pm

Side note: I HATE the socratic method. Already got called on in a class where participation allegedly matters for the grade (one step difference) and I didn't remember what the case was about (it was a shorter case and we had 9 cases that day).

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If I get median grades I will absolutely destroy my liver out of happiness.

Life is easier to enjoy when you don't have delusional, desperate hopes, right?

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:If I get median grades I will absolutely destroy my liver out of happiness.

I don't think a post on TLS has ever warmed my heart like this one

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:45 pm

thesteelers wrote:

Life is easier to enjoy when you don't have delusional, desperate hopes, right?

or when you go to Chicago?

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:49 pm

I'm destroying my liver before checking my grades on Monday. That way if they suck I'll just keep drinking until I pass out, and if they're good then I'll keep drinking and celebrate until I pass out. I see it as a win-win

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:56 pm

thesteelers wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Ugh. Nevermind. They're up. Median, median, median. Property needs to save my sorry ass. Looks like I have some gunning to do this semester.

:( Sorry to hear that. I'm just not checking until Property goes up tomorrow. It's like ripping a Band-Aid off - do it all at once and it'll be easier to bear.

I fully expect median or below median though, and I'm still trying to resign myself to the inevitable. It's hard. Part of me is completely in denial.

I also tried to resign myself to the inevitable. So I wasn't actually surprised when I checked. I'd been telling myself since we got the email this morning that I got straight B's. I guess it's not so bad... I thought I failed contracts, thought I aced torts.... B+ in both. Hoping that since this semester is worth twice last semester I can still pull top third.

I guess I got what I expected given I really only put in like 75% effort last semester. I really need to learn how to work hard.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Question for those that have a class rank: does your school rank you? If not, where are you getting that data? I'm trying to use the TLS calculator, but without a data point (IE top 1/3 has GPA of 3.5), the percent varies wildly. If you have a data point, where have you gotten it from?

I can't get a response from the registrar's office and my 2l friends don't have a data point either. I'm looosstt. But I want to get a rough calculation so I can put it on my resume for an interview I have on Friday.

BlinkNC

Postby BlinkNC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:17 pm

BlinkNC wrote:Long time lurker - Torts A, Civ Pro A, Contracts A-. Waiting on Property / LRW.

Just updating since we got the last ones. A in Property, B in LRW (I suck at memos - I should probably drop out, right?)

One more semester then getting the heck out of this TTT. All because I got drunk the night before my LSAT.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:20 pm

BlinkNC wrote:
BlinkNC wrote:Long time lurker - Torts A, Civ Pro A, Contracts A-. Waiting on Property / LRW.

Just updating since we got the last ones. A in Property, B in LRW (I suck at memos - I should probably drop out, right?)

One more semester then getting the heck out of this TTT. All because I got drunk the night before my LSAT.

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:22 pm

shock259 wrote: But I want to get a rough calculation so I can put it on my resume for an interview I have on Friday.

Are you allowed to do that?

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Dany wrote:
shock259 wrote: But I want to get a rough calculation so I can put it on my resume for an interview I have on Friday.

Sounds sketch. You'd probably have to qualify it as a "rough calculation" on your resume, which would probably look weird.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Dany wrote:

My school "doesn't rank" and you're not allowed to estimate your ranking to employers.

BlinkNC

Postby BlinkNC » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Flips88 wrote:Image

If I keep telling myself that's what tanked my score I don't hate myself as much. Don't take it away from me. :'(

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:35 pm

shock259 wrote:Question for those that have a class rank: does your school rank you? If not, where are you getting that data? I'm trying to use the TLS calculator, but without a data point (IE top 1/3 has GPA of 3.5), the percent varies wildly. If you have a data point, where have you gotten it from?

I can't get a response from the registrar's office and my 2l friends don't have a data point either. I'm looosstt.

Damn. I guess I'll try e-mailing someone in CDO since they're the ones who claim that the information is publicly available. I'm just interested in some kind of sense as to what an actually good GPA with the 3.3 median was last year. Just getting top 1/3 probably won't help me out tho because I'm (pretty) sure I'm above that.

Dany wrote:

My sense is no - we're not officially ranked until after spring semester. I'm just putting my GPA. It will do the same work really, without having the sketchy "how do you know" element or labeling it as an estimate.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:45 pm

Thanks guys. Didn't realize that was not kosher. I don't think the CDO told us we can't, but maybe it's implied or I wasn't paying attention. I'll just put the GPA on for now.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:45 pm

NYC Law wrote:Side note: I HATE the socratic method. Already got called on in a class where participation allegedly matters for the grade (one step difference) and I didn't remember what the case was about (it was a shorter case and we had 9 cases that day).

Haha. I got called on in class today in the middle of a sporcle quiz. NO IDEA what the professor's question was. Something about drunk driving. I totally had to half-ass it.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:46 pm

Jessuf wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Side note: I HATE the socratic method. Already got called on in a class where participation allegedly matters for the grade (one step difference) and I didn't remember what the case was about (it was a shorter case and we had 9 cases that day).

Haha. I got called on in class today in the middle of a sporcle quiz. NO IDEA what the professor's question was. Something about drunk driving. I totally had to half-ass it.

in my first conlaw class this year i kind of enjoyed when my professor called on someone and they were like "uh...can you repeat the question?" and he laughed and called on someone else

/gunner

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:48 pm

shock259 wrote:Question for those that have a class rank: does your school rank you? If not, where are you getting that data? I'm trying to use the TLS calculator, but without a data point (IE top 1/3 has GPA of 3.5), the percent varies wildly. If you have a data point, where have you gotten it from?

I can't get a response from the registrar's office and my 2l friends don't have a data point either. I'm looosstt. But I want to get a rough calculation so I can put it on my resume for an interview I have on Friday.

My registrar won't tell me (they just said to wait for rankings to be released), so I used May 2010 graduation data found on NALP. Not too accurate since they aren't 1L grades, but the median is the same.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:49 pm

fatduck wrote:in my first conlaw class this year i kind of enjoyed when my professor called on someone and they were like "uh...can you repeat the question?" and he laughed and called on someone else

/gunner

People constantly do that in my classes. I'd rather half-ass a question and pretend like the question was hard and has thus stumped me than tell the professor I was busy not listening and don't know the question. Sometimes people pull the whole "uhhhh... yeah... give me a minute... just pulling up my notes now..." even though we're in the middle of the class.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Jessuf wrote:

My registrar won't tell me (they just said to wait for rankings to be released), so I used May 2010 graduation data found on NALP. Not too accurate since they aren't 1L grades, but the median is the same.

Ours will tell us our ranking within our section (not the whole 1L class) one month after grades are released. A lot of the OCI firms have grade specifications so I'm assuming these numbers must exist. Either that, or they tell them generally where people are located to sort out the applicants. We don't have this information so many people in my class are apparently applying to firms that require top 10% with full knowledge that they are nowhere near the cut off. I'm assuming mythical rankings exist somewhere.

LSATNightmares

Postby LSATNightmares » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:00 pm

fatduck wrote:
Jessuf wrote:

in my first conlaw class this year i kind of enjoyed when my professor called on someone and they were like "uh...can you repeat the question?" and he laughed and called on someone else

/gunner

This happened in my first con-law class of the year, too. Except I felt really bad for the person, because our con law professor is scary. Like, super scary. No one understood what the professor was asking, and the professor said, "I will not ask it again."

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:05 pm

Civ Pro grade just came in: A- Why am I upset at the minus? I graduated undergrad with a 2.3, yet I'm mad about an A- in Civil Procedure?

Just waiting on Contracts now; fingers crossed for an A. I felt fairly decent about that exam; without it yet I'm sitting at a 3.7 with a 3.0 curve, so let's hope.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 pm

crossarmant wrote:Civ Pro grade just came in: A- Why am I upset at the minus? I graduated undergrad with a 2.3, yet I'm mad about an A- in Civil Procedure?

Just waiting on Contracts now; fingers crossed for an A. I felt fairly decent about that exam; without it yet I'm sitting at a 3.7 with a 3.0 curve, so let's hope.

Maybe I'm just in a mood, but you seem pretty intolerable.

I'm happy to celebrate people's successes, and your grades are clearly a success so far, but when you report your grades with a "oh I'm only getting a 3.7 with a 3.0 curve" you lose any celebration of your success.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”