1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC Law

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:49 pm

When are you guys going to start outlining for this semester? Do you usually start right away with the first readings or do you do it after each unit? I didn't really outline last semester since tons of old (but recent) outlines were available, so I don't really know how to do it effectively, but this semester most of my classes don't have old outlines available.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm

NYC Law wrote:When are you guys going to start outlining for this semester? Do you usually start right away with the first readings or do you do it after each unit? I didn't really outline last semester since tons of old (but recent) outlines were available, so I don't really know how to do it effectively, but this semester most of my classes don't have old outlines available.

I've decided to dedicate a weekend at the end of each month to just outlining. My courses don't have units to them, so I don't really have a better way to organize it.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:44 pm

NYC Law wrote:When are you guys going to start outlining for this semester? Do you usually start right away with the first readings or do you do it after each unit? I didn't really outline last semester since tons of old (but recent) outlines were available, so I don't really know how to do it effectively, but this semester most of my classes don't have old outlines available.

It depends on the class. For property, ConLaw and torts I'll start sooner rather than later (maybe February) since it's kind of compartmentalized. For Crim I might wait until late March.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:45 pm

wait isn't that why they give us a week of no class before finals?

birdlaw117

Postby birdlaw117 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:48 pm

Outlining? I'm not familiar with this practice.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Only finals this quarter are torts and crim, so I'll probably outline them in like a month (finals are mid-march).

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:54 pm

We have a closed book Crim midterm on March 1st so I'm gonna have to start that soon just to keep on top of things. Other class I'll probably start in a few weeks working off old outlines for classes I have them fo.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:57 pm

closed book is a different story, but i really think doing all my outlining at the end of the semester was helpful. i'll probably start a little earlier this time so i do less work during the exam period, but i think pulling everything together at the end of the course has its benefits.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 pm

fatduck wrote:closed book is a different story, but i really think doing all my outlining at the end of the semester was helpful. i'll probably start a little earlier this time so i do less work during the exam period, but i think pulling everything together at the end of the course has its benefits.

This seems pretty accurate. I think it makes a difference how many (and what quality) outlines you have available for that class too. Last semester I had lots of relevant and recent outlines, so it didn't make sense to outline early (or at all really). The work of assembling it wouldn't really have any benefit since it's too early for most of it and I wouldn't have remembered it. The other benefit of having a good outline wouldn't matter since there already are good outlines out there to study. But I think it's a different story when there are no old outlines, at least you'll have that finished product nice and early to study from.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:06 pm

fatduck wrote:closed book is a different story, but i really think doing all my outlining at the end of the semester was helpful. i'll probably start a little earlier this time so i do less work during the exam period, but i think pulling everything together at the end of the course has its benefits.

I think that approach is credited. Last semester I tried to have all my outlines mostly done about 4 or 5 days before finals and then did practice exams + tweaking after taking those to adjust to gaps and things that were unclear. Not sure how i'll approach closed book exams this semester.

CreativityKing

Postby CreativityKing » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 am

NYC Law wrote:
chimp wrote:
Hannibal wrote:
thesealocust wrote:No thread about grade discussions and Northwestern would be complete without an epic retelling of the Corsair Saga...

...go on.

All I know is it involves a sad clown.

But seriously, can we hear this story? Or a link to the original thread?

denardisgod

Postby denardisgod » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:20 am

Last edited by denardisgod on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 am

Don't care what the actual story is now - all I know is the first reviewer on that link is a total gunner.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:20 am

Outlining at the end did help me review, but I felt extremely overloaded at the end which resulted in unnecessary stress trying to outline 4 substantive classes and finish my memo. Definitely changing course a little bit and outlining/reviewing the material at the end of each month. I think that is a good compromise that will allow me to see a bit of the big picture without the overwhelming stress at the end.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

Outlining at the end did help me review, but I felt extremely overloaded at the end which resulted in unnecessary stress trying to outline 4 substantive classes and finish my memo. Definitely changing course a little bit and outlining/reviewing the material at the end of each month. I think that is a good compromise that will allow me to see a bit of the big picture without the overwhelming stress at the end.

yea i suppose it depends on your schedule. my memo was due before thanksgiving, so LRW was already done by the time i started outlining.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:45 am

birdlaw117 wrote:Outlining? I'm not familiar with this practice.

Same. Last semester I was able to get really good outlines from upper classmen and I just used those while trying to stay on top of all of my other study areas. I began reviewing them around mid-October and watched as many of my classmates scrambled to complete outlines into the last week before exams. This semester, my wonderful friends did not have the same profs as I do. This leaves me with either taking outlines from students who had my text but different teachers and adding my own sassy information/professor quirks or making my outlines from scratch. Grrr...It is still early though and time to start sucking up to new upperclassmen friends is bountiful.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Each day we creep closer to getting grades the more worked up I get... I'm terrified for it to be here, and yet can't stand not knowing. My brain wants to explode.

Why did I go to law school again?

Haymarket

Postby Haymarket » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Chicago grades are due today. Dean of Students says she will email us when they are posted. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:30 pm

Guchster wrote:True story. Ever since the drama bomb exploded with the public facebook group exposé, I've been hoping more CLS'ers migrate over to TLS. But alas, it's probs not going to happen.

CLS public facebook group exposé? Tell more.

I'm not a CLS student, I'm just intrigued.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:33 pm

I spent the weekend outlining for my first week of classes. I think it was helpful because it forced me to work, when I least feel like working. My motivation has been below zero since school started, so I sort of robotically went through the motions of note-taking last week (and only did like 1/4 of the reading), so outlining during the weekend forced me to think about what we'd done in class.

I'm planning to outline at the end of each week, just to recap what we learned.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:23 pm

Haymarket wrote:Chicago grades are due today. Dean of Students says she will email us when they are posted. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg

lawl at the idea that we'll actually get them today. I've stocked up on booze and am prepared for the long wait.

acg

Postby acg » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Last edited by acg on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiberalLaw

Postby LiberalLaw » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 pm

Grades came out for me.

Property I C+
Torts A-
Civil Procedure B+
Legal Methods B-

Curve is between a low 2 and high 2.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

thesteelers wrote:
Guchster wrote:True story. Ever since the drama bomb exploded with the public facebook group exposé, I've been hoping more CLS'ers migrate over to TLS. But alas, it's probs not going to happen.

CLS public facebook group exposé? Tell more.

I'm not a CLS student, I'm just intrigued.

People just realized that our old fb group was public, and therefore that non-members could read it. We have switched to a different group now... but it seems like all the CLS TLSers (hehe) from the application period have stopped posting since school started.

Also, last semester I didn't outline, and I think it actually did me well. I read the course treatise instead - much more helpful than my own confused, rambling thoughts would have been.
Last edited by piccolittle on Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:39 pm

LiberalLaw wrote:Grades came out for me.

Property I C+
Torts A-
Civil Procedure B+
Legal Methods B-

Curve is between a low 2 and high 2.

unless i'm missing some terminology are you saying the median grade is ~2.5?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”