1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sundance95

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby sundance95 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:13 am

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I also heard some tool bragging about getting an A+ in the hallway to a bunch of people, but he is a major gunner, so that kind of thing is slightly to be expected.

Haha gunner douches. But seriously, I am slightly annoyed about my law school friends casually asking about grades/talking about grades in general. My group definitely varies in ability level and it was so awkward telling my buddy who just got a C that I managed to pull an A- when he asked me how I did. I would never ask anyone how they did, and I can't believe the number of people here that openly ask other people what grade they received.

If askrd directly, just say, "sorry, but I don't discuss grades." I did this w/ regards to exams and it worked fine. Most people won't straight up ask and instead talk about how they did in the hopes that you will too. If you don't reciprocate they likely assume that they did better anyway, so win-win.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:14 am

uhm. i just logged into to check my grades even though i already received all of mine earlier today. OLD HABITS DIE HARD

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 am

how are any of you even focusing right now?

i seriously can't do anything. i can't do readings. i can't do job apps. i hate moot court already and am just focusing on simply passing...

i'm so insanely lazy right now, and the most problematic thing is i really didn't do as well as i felt i could last semester, and i really need to do better. the way i'm going, i'll do a lot worse, though.

serdog

Postby serdog » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:52 am

Got a B in LLP happy about that after poor mid term grades(it my only final)

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:14 am

shock259 wrote:My final 2 grades are almost up. They have been submitted by the prof, just need to be approved by the registrar, which usually takes less than a day. Hoping I get them tomorrow.

*crosses fingers*

C'mon man, you know better than that - some grades have been submitted for literally a week before they're available.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:30 am

studebaker07 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Quick question.

After hearing stories of people whose professor gave them a lower grade by making a mistake in grading...

Are there any stories of people who were given an A or A- but then later the professor said they made a mistake and gave them a lower grade?

3L here but yes this could happen, theoretically. It happened to me. My first semester, my school screwed up EVERYONE's grades. Something happened with the bling grading system and all the grades in like two classes got mixed up and posted. Then a few days later they notified everyone that the grades were screwed up and they had to correct them. I ended up going from an A in torts to a B but my grade in Crim law went up so I guess it kind of balanced out? Anyways, just a terrible thing to happen in your first semester but probably fairly uncommon.

If our grades have been out for like a week+ then can we assume that there has been no mistake?

studebaker07

Postby studebaker07 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 am

johansantana21 wrote:
If our grades have been out for like a week+ then can we assume that there has been no mistake?

Highly likely. I mean, when they botched the grades in my classes, they sent out an email pretty much right away and had all the grades fixed within a week. I think they fixed them so quickly because some people complained when they had gotten a terrible grade like an F.

One week is more than likely a "safe zone" as far as grades not changing.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 am

LeDique wrote:
C'mon man, you know better than that - some grades have been submitted for literally a week before they're available.

I knooowww. But for some reason, most of my own classes go from yellow to green super fast. Hoping that trend continues.

Edit: one just went. WHeeeee. Only 1 class left now. Better go before the weekend ...

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:00 am

I think it helps to not spend Winter Break where you study. i.e. I just got back to my dorm last night and I haven't even thought about the rest of my grades, ready to just go back to reading. I guess it's a behavioral thing.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 am

Lasers wrote:how are any of you even focusing right now?

i seriously can't do anything. i can't do readings. i can't do job apps. i hate moot court already and am just focusing on simply passing...

i'm so insanely lazy right now, and the most problematic thing is i really didn't do as well as i felt i could last semester, and i really need to do better. the way i'm going, i'll do a lot worse, though.

I feel the same way. I start reading for class and then start thinking about grades and how jealous I am that someone in our section got FOUR FREAKING book awards. So unproductive.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:59 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:

I feel the same way. I start reading for class and then start thinking about grades and how jealous I am that someone in our section got FOUR FREAKING book awards. So unproductive.

Book awards?

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:05 pm

johansantana21 wrote:

Book awards?

Highest grade in the course

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

That's the farthest thing from what's keeping me from reading...I just realize how useless trying the first 1.5 months was...not doing that again lol

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Ugh, I really hate moot court. What's your topic? I'm doing the international law one. I can't do anything either. I watched like 5 episodes of Spartacus last night and took a bath.. it was so awesome.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:10 pm

That's the farthest thing from what's keeping me from reading...I just realize how useless trying the first 1.5 months was...not doing that again lol

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:That's the farthest thing from what's keeping me from reading...I just realize how useless trying the first 1.5 months was...not doing that again lol

Hahaha that too. Definitely drinking more and reading less.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:21 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:That's the farthest thing from what's keeping me from reading...I just realize how useless trying the first 1.5 months was...not doing that again lol

Hahaha that too. Definitely drinking more and reading less.

Good LORD did I get fucked up last night

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Yep. Feel the same way. I don't think it's laziness, at least for me, it's just a lack of motivation because I severely underperformed last semester. I understand I need to brush myself off and try again but it's so hard when I gave it my all last semester to achieve mediocrity. So as of now I'm just barely keeping up with my readings. I'm hoping that discussing my exams with my professors will kick my butt into gear.

JLJ

Postby JLJ » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:26 pm

Lasers wrote:I understand I need to brush myself off and try again but it's so hard when I gave it my all last semester to achieve mediocrity.

This is what keeps me up at night. Until I get my grades (today hopefully) this is my worst fear about last semester.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Still no grades. The prof just hosted an exam review session, and still no grades.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:52 pm

studebaker07 wrote:I think they fixed them so quickly because some people complained when they had gotten a terrible grade like an F.

Prof in another section gave his crim class 3 D's and 4 F's. I thought profs didn't usually go below C/C-. Word is he gave a speech to the class about how he feels a strong duty to not pass students who he feels would lower the standard of the profession. Douche. Can't even fathom how those students feel.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:57 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
studebaker07 wrote:I think they fixed them so quickly because some people complained when they had gotten a terrible grade like an F.

Prof in another section gave his crim class 3 D's and 4 F's. I thought profs didn't usually go below C/C-. Word is he gave a speech to the class about how he feels a strong duty to not pass students who he feels would lower the standard of the profession. Douche. Can't even fathom how those students feel.

The profession has standards to begin with?

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

The profession has standards to begin with?

According to him. He's a real self-important asshat to begin with. He apparently made a girl cry last semester in class. Can't imagine what he said to her to evoke that sort of emotion.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Received my first two grades today… happy with the first, a little disappointed with the second. Like many others, I felt worse about the exam I did better on.

The deadline to turn in grades was today but when I called academic services, they said that the other two grades wouldn't be posted until Monday at the EARLIEST. What do the tweens say nowadays? Maybe: "FML"? Yeah, that's right I think.

FML.

69Coronet

Postby 69Coronet » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Got my grades.
Totally disappointed. Totally and completely disappointed, and a little shell shocked.
Disappointed with the 1 grade I have that is a final grade, disappointed with my midterm exams, totally disappointed.
No fucking clue what to do from here on out, guess I gotta go figure out what the fuck I need to change about my study habits.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”