1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AlexanderSupertramp

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I guess I can quit refreshing- my last grade probably isn't going to be posted at 10 pm.

NC1

Postby NC1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:17 pm

piccolittle wrote:Bah. B+ in torts. It's all downhill from here!

You'll be fine. Don't worry about. We'll all get jobs.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:32 pm

NC1 wrote:

false.

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 pm

I've put my worst case scenario down as having to become a ups driver. But here's to hoping there's still some temp jobs available down the road.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:05 am

merc280 wrote:I've put my worst best case scenario down as having to become a ups driver. But here's to hoping there's still some temp jobs available down the road.

Those guys make bank. I'd consider dropping out if I had a guaranteed position with UPS.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:08 am

brickman wrote:
NC1 wrote:

false.

not if you go to columbia

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:14 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
brickman wrote:
NC1 wrote:

false.

They tell us all day too.

Peace of Mind

Postby Peace of Mind » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
Sandro wrote:I wish I could have chosen my school based on how they do exams :| . Closed book/note exams are garbage, wish I would have known studying for them throughout the semester was completely different then what I was doing. I know people say open book/note exams are just outline dumps but is that any better than a memorization contest on standard issue spotter exams ?

I'd argue for closed book/note exams because if you understand the material memorizing would be easier and you should get a better grade.

Agree!

The only alternative I would like is maybe allowing 1-3 pages of "notes" to be brought into the class. That was allowed on one exam I had and I think it helped a little when there were a couple things i was not 100% about. having the ability to double check real quick was beneficial (hopefully, still waiting for grades).

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:32 am

3 of my exams were open note/open case book, no supplements. I found myself typing furiously away during essay sections, not having time to rifle through notes. However, in the crim law multiple choice section, I kept having to reference my outline because the questions were insanely tricky.

JoeFish

Postby JoeFish » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:12 am

Yeah my ConLaw this semester is "modified closed book" which apparently means we are allowed to bring in exactly one single-sided sheet of notes. All of my tests this semester were open book, and I actually found myself relying on the books and notes more than I expected. So we'll see how that goes. I would absolutely hate a take-home test. Speed has always been a big advantage for me over everyone else (as cultivated by my 8 or 10 years on the Mathletics circuit), and I'd probably freak out if I knew that everyone had just about as much time as they needed to perfect their thoughts.
Although, on the other hand, I'd take solace in the fact that I wouldn't spend 72 straight hours awake working on a single take-home exam like some of my classmates would :roll:

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:36 am

JoeFish wrote:Yeah my ConLaw this semester is "modified closed book" which apparently means we are allowed to bring in exactly one single-sided sheet of notes. All of my tests this semester were open book, and I actually found myself relying on the books and notes more than I expected. So we'll see how that goes. I would absolutely hate a take-home test. Speed has always been a big advantage for me over everyone else (as cultivated by my 8 or 10 years on the Mathletics circuit), and I'd probably freak out if I knew that everyone had just about as much time as they needed to perfect their thoughts.
Although, on the other hand, I'd take solace in the fact that I wouldn't spend 72 straight hours awake working on a single take-home exam like some of my classmates would :roll:

You'd be surprised how poorly some students do on take home assignments. I ended up with the highest grades in the class on the take home midterm/assignments in Ks, while I'm sure people who did much worse than me scored higher on the exam because they just memorized every case etc.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:51 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:
brickman wrote:
NC1 wrote:

false.

Hate to break it to you, but as a 2L at Columbia, I can tell you that no, everyone at Columbia does not get a job. I have friends without jobs, although thankfully I'm not in that boat. CLS tries to make out that everyone will get a job, but at the end of the day if you have bad grades, it'll make job searching extremely difficult.

I don't want to scare 1Ls during what I know is a very scary and nerve-wracking time, but grades are important at every school. Definitely talk to profs about how you can improve if you end up with lower grades. Good luck everyone!!!

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:54 am

I am posting this in solidarity with the TLS'rs who do great in substantive classes and do terrible in LRW.

Civil Procedure: A

Criminal Law: A-

Property: A

Contracts: A

LRW: B-

our LRW counts the same as our substantive classes which is BS. I put just as much time into LRW as everything else but I could never figure out what exactly she wanted. I'm at a T2 and our median is 2.67. My GPA is 3.66 i was wondering if any of you think I cracked the top 10..?

(first time poster...long time lurker) I followed a lot of the advice from this website and also got scared into doing good from all the doomsday posts.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Lyonsoccer87 wrote:I am posting this in solidarity with the TLS'rs who do great in substantive classes and do terrible in LRW.

our LRW counts the same as our substantive classes which is BS. I put just as much time into LRW as everything else but I could never figure out what exactly she wanted. I'm at a T2 and our median is 2.67. My GPA is 3.66 i was wondering if any of you think I cracked the top 10..?

(first time poster...long time lurker) I followed a lot of the advice from this website and also got scared into doing good from all the doomsday posts.

You're almost certainly top 10%, probably top 5%. If you can give me a rank cut-off I can tell you more precisely.
Last edited by NYC Law on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Does top 10% cutoff matter that much?

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:29 pm

Sandro wrote:
JoeFish wrote:Yeah my ConLaw this semester is "modified closed book" which apparently means we are allowed to bring in exactly one single-sided sheet of notes. All of my tests this semester were open book, and I actually found myself relying on the books and notes more than I expected. So we'll see how that goes. I would absolutely hate a take-home test. Speed has always been a big advantage for me over everyone else (as cultivated by my 8 or 10 years on the Mathletics circuit), and I'd probably freak out if I knew that everyone had just about as much time as they needed to perfect their thoughts.

You'd be surprised how poorly some students do on take home assignments. I ended up with the highest grades in the class on the take home midterm/assignments in Ks, while I'm sure people who did much worse than me scored higher on the exam because they just memorized every case etc.

I think I would hate a take home final, thankfully I don't think I have one for this coming semester.

This past semester, all of my finals were closed book. At the beginning of the year, I thought I was going to hate this because I think I am good at recognizing fact patters and analyzing them, but I am AWFUL at remembering case names. Turns out (at least for my professors) the analysis was enough because I used almost no case names and just said stuff like "the facts in this case are different from the facts in the case where x happened, which means."

For the semester that is starting next week, all my tests are open book/written notes. I kind of wish my first semester had been more mixed, because now I know that I am ok with closed book tests but have no idea how to prepare differently for open book tests.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm probably going to prepare the same way for an open book test as I would a closed book test. The only difference is I'll bring my outline and make a two page attack sheet with the long rules/tests, but ideally in the end I won't even consult them. I don't want to waste time flipping through my outline searching something out when I could be typing up an analysis.

Lyonsoccer87

Postby Lyonsoccer87 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:34 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Lyonsoccer87 wrote:I am posting this in solidarity with the TLS'rs who do great in substantive classes and do terrible in LRW.

You're almost certainly top 10%, probably top 5%. If you can give me a rank cut-off I can tell you more precisely.

The only additional info I have is that our 1L class is appox 130 and that a student last year made a 3.0 and was ranked about 55. I'm one of the idiots that went to a T2 wanting to transfer that is why I'm stressing about breaking into the top 10 (too bad LRW may crush my dreams). I don't have any info on a cut off (searched everywhere). Thanks for the quick response.

On a side note, I felt good about the classes where i scored high. I kept reading this thread and worrying that my grades were going to be random, but I left every test feeling pretty good about myself (Crim law I was a bit unsure). As for LRW i felt i could get anywhere from an A- to a C-. Also, all of my tests were closed books and I replaced outlining with writing exam spiels for every possible issue and memorizing them (about 7-8 pages per class).

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:35 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Does top 10% cutoff matter that much?

What would you define as "that much"? If you are gunning for a biglaw SA and aren't at a T14, I would imagine that it makes a huge difference. But, being outside the top 10 percent (maybe in the top 20) can be mitigated if you have strong work experience or something else that can make your application package more interesting.

Also, I think for a lot of other jobs (public interest, internships) the difference between top 10 and top 20 can be almost negligible.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:40 pm

DreamsInDigital wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Does top 10% cutoff matter that much?

What would you define as "that much"? If you are gunning for a biglaw SA and aren't at a T14, I would imagine that it makes a huge difference. But, being outside the top 10 percent (maybe in the top 20) can be mitigated if you have strong work experience or something else that can make your application package more interesting.

Also, I think for a lot of other jobs (public interest, internships) the difference between top 10 and top 20 can be almost negligible.

What about at T14s?

Like between barely top 10% and top 15% or top 20%.

D'Angelo

Postby D'Angelo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:40 pm

The difference between 10% and 12% probably matters about as much as the difference between 18% and 20%.

But seriously, I don't get the sense that there is any magic rank number at any school. It's just that as you get closer to the top, individual ranks start looming larger.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Civ Pro pwned. I'll be making up that grade for the next 5 semesters.

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:53 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Civ Pro pwned. I'll be making up that grade for the next 5 semesters.

Median?

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:01 pm

A in LRW. Guess that makes me the litmus test. If I don't post again, assume the inverse relation held and I got straight Cs in the doctrinal courses.

akili

Postby akili » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:40 pm

Grades are posted. Too scared to look.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”