1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

bk187 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Unless these people have done well in an undergrad major that curves, and assuming they know what a curve does, they have figured out long before grades come out that there is a 50/50 chance they will end up above median while competing against intellectual peers and not a bunch of undergrad morons.

Knowing this, are you telling me some people will be SHOCKED at how they do in law school?

If so that's just arrogance, and if some arrogant people LOSE THEIR SHIT after they get their grades back, WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT.

That's just how arrogant people respond to being told that they aren't special.
The belief that they are special snowflakes is deeply ingrained.
Maybe it's just the law school I go to, but I haven't gotten that vibe from most people.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Unless these people have done well in an undergrad major that curves, and assuming they know what a curve does, they have figured out long before grades come out that there is a 50/50 chance they will end up above median while competing against intellectual peers and not a bunch of undergrad morons.

Knowing this, are you telling me some people will be SHOCKED at how they do in law school?

If so that's just arrogance, and if some arrogant people LOSE THEIR SHIT after they get their grades back, WHO THE FUCK GIVES A SHIT.

That's just how arrogant people respond to being told that they aren't special.
Bildungsroman wrote: Are you really striving this hard to be a pedantic cocktard?

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

shock259 wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:
shock259 wrote:We've gotten like 4 lectures about how grades don't matter. Letter from Dean, lectures from profs, emails from past profs, and a lunch panel. Go to a T1
skeptical poster is skeptical
1. 10 minute lecture from legal writing professor about how grades don't matter. He argued that the people who do the best in the class tend to have the lowest happiness levels years after law school, even if they are afforded the best job opportunities.
2. Letter from Dean about how grades are not the end of the world. Excerpt: "... it can be a difficult time. In particular, the arrival of fall semester grades for law students—most notably for 1Ls—may bring disappointment, anxiety, and frustration. Law students in general are accustomed to academic success (your prior academic success is one of many reasons we are happy you joined us here at [school]) and most of you were at the very top of your classes in high school and college. My message to you is simple: please do not allow decile classification to define you. "
3. Email from prof 1. Excerpt: "Grades reflect a combination of factors, not all of which are within your control, particularly in the first semester. Hard work, studying, and native intelligence are necessary but not sufficient to achieve the highest grades. I can tell when I read your exams that almost all of you have studied hard, learned a great deal, and have more than enough smarts to be good lawyers. Some of you, however, are much better at taking law school examinations. Everyone will get better at this. It is a particular skill, and it can be learned. Second, and more importantly, there are a variety of skills that make someone an excellent lawyer. Some of these, depending on the kind of law you decide to practice, are reflected in law school grades. Others are not. "
4. Email from prof 2. Excerpt: "And for those of you that are disappointed with your grade, please understand that this is a necessary consequence of having such bright and energetic classmates. In an absolute sense, you all did quite well on an extremely challenging exam."
5. Lunch event entitled "Life is Not Over for Those Not in the Top 10%" - don't know what they talked about because I didn't attend.

Sorry, 5 lectures.
I can confirm 1, 2, and 5. I did not, however, get any e-mails from my professors about exams.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:45 pm

johansantana21 wrote:Maybe it's just the law school I go to, but I haven't gotten that vibe from most people.
Just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean that most people don't expect to above median if not top 10/20/30 percent.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:46 pm

bk187 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:Maybe it's just the law school I go to, but I haven't gotten that vibe from most people.
Just because they don't talk about it doesn't mean that most people don't expect to above median if not top 10/20/30 percent.
And you know this...how?

TLS isn't representative of most law school students IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:49 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
And you know this...how?

It's not a law student phenomenon we're talking about. It's how real life human beings react to things.

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:53 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
And you know this...how?

It's not a law student phenomenon we're talking about. It's how real life human beings react to things.
Yeah. Most people think they're above average, and most people who get into law school had that belief confirmed in undergrad. Of course people realize that 50% will be the bottom 50%, but that doesn't mean 50% of people think they will be in the bottom 50%.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:04 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
And you know this...how?

I think most people here did in fact think they'd be around Median, with some exceptions being those who thought they'd be above. I dont know anyone who thought that that I know didn't, but I didn't talk about grades with more than 2 people.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:11 pm

Lesson from this thread:

You can't beat the market. Stick to indexing. All hail Vanguard!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:14 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
bk187 wrote:
And you know this...how?

Yeah, I remember seeing a survey done of oncoming law students where like 97% expected to be above median and some huge number (1/3? 1/4?) expected to be in the top 10%. Not just hoped, expected. I'd look harder to find whatever magazine or website conducted it but I'm lazy and johansantana21 seems like he's acting deliberately difficult.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:17 pm

birdlaw117 wrote: It's not a law student phenomenon we're talking about. It's how real life human beings react to things.
There are some really interesting studies about defining class identification in the US. The tl;dr version is that no one wants to be in the lowest class (or labeled as "poor"). This is why politicians who play the class card in the US are not entirely successful with objectively low income voters.

Interesting shit that got this post/thread way, way off topic.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm

I guess I'm the exception. I fully expected to be below median.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm

johansantana21 wrote:I guess I'm the exception. I fully expected to be below median.
I wouldn't say I expected to be below median, but I told myself I'd consider it a success if I made it to median or above.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

I'm pretty confident that I'll be below median.

sargell83

Bronze

Post by sargell83 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm

in the past two days I got sick and lost my wallet with all my ids and money... I expect anything but good now:(

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:37 pm

sargell83 wrote:in the past two days I got sick and lost my wallet with all my ids and money... I expect anything but good now:(
Naw man you're earning that good karma!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:51 pm

This has nothing material to do with grades but my moot court memo is finally drafted. Next week to polish! I hate you Franks v. Delaware. That is all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:55 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:This has nothing material to do with grades but my moot court memo is finally drafted. Next week to polish! I hate you Franks v. Delaware. That is all.
You have no idea how insanely jealous I am.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:12 am

still waiting on my final grade. The teacher is so lazy that he hadn't even turned in the answer key to the scantron 1 month after we had taken the final. Ridiculous...

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 am

Supposed to get our grades on Tuesday. I've heard things that it could be pushed back to Thursday though. Hate mixed information, especially when it has been nearly two months since I took my first exam.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:05 am

Median pwned :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:28 am

lifestooquick wrote:Median pwned :|
+1. Seriously bummed. Need to step it up next semester, but it sucks to see opportunities disappear. Lame. This semester I need to work way harder/smarter.

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:17 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
mel2010 wrote:+1. As far as I know my CivPro section is the last of CLS 1Ls to be missing a grade, and the "deadline" isn't for another week.
Same section, same boat.
Did you get the incredibly useful email this morning from registration services?

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 am

mel2010 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
mel2010 wrote:+1. As far as I know my CivPro section is the last of CLS 1Ls to be missing a grade, and the "deadline" isn't for another week.
Same section, same boat.
Did you get the incredibly useful email this morning from registration services?
Lol same section same boat same email. FUCK YOU TO HELL. Seriously.

I mean I think they sent that email because every other person at Columbia Law School *that was not screwed by shaw* has every single one of their grades, and it provided some closure to the grade process.

Apparently shaw's health is in bad shape, which makes me sad. What makes me almost as sad is that because of this, we might not get grades till end of Feb. :(

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:41 am

Guchster wrote:Lol same section same boat same email. FUCK YOU TO HELL. Seriously.

I mean I think they sent that email because every other person at Columbia Law School *that was not screwed by shaw* has every single one of their grades, and it provided some closure to the grade process.

Apparently shaw's health is in bad shape, which makes me sad. What makes me almost as sad is that because of this, we might not get grades till end of Feb. :(
Yeah word, I very quickly went from sleepy -> excited(?) -> pissed off.

But I hadn't heard that about Shaw; hopefully he'll be fine...despite his grading delinquency and the fact that he didn't really teach any "civil procedure" or whatever it's called, I did like his class a lot. And I don't say that often about morning classes...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”