1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
yngblkgifted

Silver

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Post by yngblkgifted » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:56 pm

AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ours is graded as well. I pulled out an A- which would have been higher had I not completely misread the fact pattern and turned in a (graded) draft that was not entirely accurate. My fault. I also lost points on my Property exam for writing past the margins in my blue book. :evil: My fault, again. I got an A but if I could have booked the class had I not done that I'm gonna be pretty upset. I'm just so careless sometimes!
You should probably end it all...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm

Flips88 wrote:
AlexanderSupertramp wrote:Ours is graded as well. I pulled out an A- which would have been higher had I not completely misread the fact pattern and turned in a (graded) draft that was not entirely accurate. My fault. I also lost points on my Property exam for writing past the margins in my blue book. :evil: My fault, again. I got an A but if I could have booked the class had I not done that I'm gonna be pretty upset. I'm just so careless sometimes!
Perfect.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:07 am

With school back in session, I'm officially jumping on the "I want my damn grades" bandwagon. Not knowing is rough, and the anxiety is starting to build - particularly with apparently every single other school releasing grades. Duke: "lol, maybe tomorrow. Have some grits or whatever."

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:23 am

Yeah just as a counterpoint to some earlier stuff, I didn't follow IRAC, analysis format, or anything else at all in my essays, and still did better than I expected. So if you rambled on like me it doesn't really matter, especially if it's a true issue spotter where the words "X is guilty of Y" are worth 5 points whether the rest of the paragraph is structured or coherent or not. For what it's worth, I pretty consistently averaged about 2200 words per hour.
If you haven't received your grades yet, everyone's as nervous as you, just because they all are also taking their first ever lawl school exams. Do as I say - go have a drink, take it easy, see friends, don't hover on the computer checking every 5 minutes - and not as I did (... hovered around the computer checking every 5 minutes). How you feel you did and how you actually did is probably less correlated than you'd think. And there's absolutely, entirely nothing you can do to change the outcome now. So... I dunno... release your troubles out into the air and go forth into life unburdened. Or... something like that.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:54 am

Flips88 wrote:
Jessuf wrote:My grades are due to the registrar on Wednesday but still nothing has popped up. Sad to see people from other sections talking about grades on facebook and bragging about getting the highest grade in the class.
What a doucher.
Seriously don't talk about grades on Facebook. For all the obnoxious commenting/status updates that were law school related throughout the semester, it is refreshing not to see anyone (at least who I am friends with) posting grades on Facebook.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 am

D'Angelo wrote: Yeah, number of people in my section who I know at least read these things is well into the double digits (not to mention a shit ton of more active people in other sections). I can stress about waiting for grades here, but no actual grades here.
Checking in.

Also, fuck grades. Don't care when I get them back. The longer they're withheld, the more likely it is I get a summer offer without having to give my (probably atrocious) grades.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am

Well our grades are supposed to be in by the profs. Now the agonizing wait until Friday.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:07 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
D'Angelo wrote: Yeah, number of people in my section who I know at least read these things is well into the double digits (not to mention a shit ton of more active people in other sections). I can stress about waiting for grades here, but no actual grades here.
Checking in.

Also, fuck grades. Don't care when I get them back. The longer they're withheld, the more likely it is I get a summer offer without having to give my (probably atrocious) grades.
le sigh, i went to the wrong law school. my classmates (not all, piccolittle!) blow. why do all the bad asses/my fav. posters on here go to NYU?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:28 am

Guchster wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Checking in.

le sigh, i went to the wrong law school. my classmates (not all, piccolittle!) blow. why do all the bad asses/my fav. posters on here go to NYU?
I assume it's because of the strong correlation between awesome posters and poor decision-making.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:46 am

Guchster wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:
Checking in.

They don't. They go to Northwestern.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:47 am

Guchster wrote: le sigh, i went to the wrong law school. my classmates (not all, piccolittle!) blow.
Haha, people blow because they're not on TLS all the time? I'm afraid to say that might mean they're actually all cooler than us...

Nevar!
birdlaw117 wrote: I assume it's because of the strong correlation between awesome posters and poor decision-making.
Also I exhibit consistently poor decision-making, so the above is encouraging.

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am

piccolittle wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote: I assume it's because of the strong correlation between awesome posters and poor decision-making.
Also I exhibit consistently poor decision-making, so the above is encouraging.
As part of the NYU poor-decision hivemind, I second birdlaw here.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:12 pm

I cant get into school without grades. If I did bad (probably), Ill know to switch it up. If i did good, I'll probably still switch it up. This is terrible. Its obvious now they are just holding grades until the drop add deadline so people dont drop out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Sandro wrote:I cant get into school without grades. If I did bad (probably), Ill know to switch it up. If i did good, I'll probably still switch it up. This is terrible. Its obvious now they are just holding grades until the drop add deadline so people dont drop out.
I'm in the same boat. I'm still waiting on two substantive grades and I just cannot seem to get in the spirit of school. It's like pulling teeth for me to read any of my books or attend class right now. This wait is agonizing.

sgoodman

New

Post by sgoodman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:41 pm

Last edited by sgoodman on Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:01 pm

Sandro wrote:I cant get into school without grades. If I did bad (probably), Ill know to switch it up. If i did good, I'll probably still switch it up. This is terrible. Its obvious now they are just holding grades until the drop add deadline so people dont drop out.
I think you should switch it up.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:06 pm

sgoodman wrote:Got the rest of my grades back last night:

Crim - A+
Torts - B+
Contracts - B+
LWR - B
Civ Pro - C+

I have no idea where the bad grade in civ pro came from. I did all of the practice tests he had released and generally felt ok about it. Didn't necessarily expect to do great but I also did not think I would get one of the worst grades in the class. Took me from having a shot at top 25% or 33% to barely above median probably.
Sorry :( Are you going to go meet with him about it? The rest of your grades are pretty good, so it would definitely be worth while to ask him what happened.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Is anyone considering transferring who got their grades? I love the school I'm at and hadn't really entertained the idea of transferring until a friend of mine brought it up. I know Chicago takes first semester information but I'm not sure I can take on that kind of debt. Anyone else thinking of jumping on another school's train? (yes, that was ridiculous...i'm aware)

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:10 pm

alicrimson wrote:Is anyone considering transferring who got their grades? I love the school I'm at and hadn't really entertained the idea of transferring until a friend of mine brought it up. I know Chicago takes first semester information but I'm not sure I can take on that kind of debt. Anyone else thinking of jumping on another school's train? (yes, that was ridiculous...i'm aware)
I love it at Hastings and I definitely want to stay in SF after graduation, so I don't know if it makes any sense for me to transfer. I think I'm going to send an app to Boalt, but I'm not sure if I should transfer even if I got in.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:11 pm

alicrimson wrote:Is anyone considering transferring who got their grades? I love the school I'm at and hadn't really entertained the idea of transferring until a friend of mine brought it up. I know Chicago takes first semester information but I'm not sure I can take on that kind of debt. Anyone else thinking of jumping on another school's train? (yes, that was ridiculous...i'm aware)
I'm not a transfer candidate, but I think if you like your school and are debt-averse, you really need to investigate the job prospects for students who have performed similarly in the past. The only reason for you to transfer (since you like your school) would be if it is actually going to help you in your career. Otherwise, if you will have similar prospects as a top student at your school, the wiser decision may be to stay and save money while ending up with the same job.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:16 pm

piccolittle wrote:
I think you should switch it up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:23 pm

If I can sweep up the rest of my grades, I think I'll try to transfer. I'm at a T2 and am not terribly keen on the location or my classmates, so if it's possible, I'll probably try to transfer.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:26 pm

If I'm still in the top 5 or 10% after actually having more than 1 grade there's a decent chance I will. Don't know if I'll do the Chicago thing though, more interested in CN+P+D, and of course HYS, but who am I kidding. I'm a pretty shitty interviewer, and some people from last year's OCI thread recommended transferring up if you are.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:29 pm

NYC Law wrote:
If I'm still in the top 5 or 10% after actually having more than 1 grade there's a decent chance I will. Don't know if I'll do the Chicago thing though, more interested in CN+P+D, and of course HYS, but who am I kidding. I'm a pretty shitty interviewer, and some people from last year's OCI thread recommended transferring up if you are.
You're at Fordham right? I remember reading in some thread that there were a few students in the top 25% of Fordham's 2011 class that were no-offered, but I can't imagine that a transfer to those schools is really in that much of a greater position than top 5/10% at Fordham (at least as far as NYC biglawl is concerned).

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I've pretty much closed the book on any even extremely remote inklings of transferring I ever had. I mean... well, my school's about to plunge in the rankings. But I absolutely love it there. And, like ali, I just can't justify taking on the absurd amount of extra debt when my employment chances would only marginally improve (that is to say, based on my grades now, I'll have a good shot at a good job in Chicago anyway). I know some of my classmates are considering lateraling because of the rankings change and moral outrage or something. But as I said... it's working for me where I am. Hell, I'm the only person I know who likes the aesthetic style of the law building.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”