1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

Re: 1L Fall Grade Waiting Thread

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:11 pm

Michaela wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I take sides with thesteelers. I have the type he described in some of my classes, and I can understand his frustration.
I hate those types too, though one of the really obnoxious dumbs did pretty badly so that's pretty satisfying. I love Schadenfreude and am not ashamed (and am also kind of catty, whatevs)!

Still waiting on 2 grades but the 3 I have are A, A-, and B+!
Do a lot of people at your school share grades?

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:48 pm

johansantana21 wrote:
Michaela wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I take sides with thesteelers. I have the type he described in some of my classes, and I can understand his frustration.
I hate those types too, though one of the really obnoxious dumbs did pretty badly so that's pretty satisfying. I love Schadenfreude and am not ashamed (and am also kind of catty, whatevs)!

Sort of and I've heard a lot through the gossip mill. I haven't told mine to anyone but my best friend at law school though.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Michaela wrote:
johansantana21 wrote:
Michaela wrote:

Sort of and I've heard a lot through the gossip mill. I haven't told mine to anyone but my best friend at law school though.
Curious if the rumors at my school are true. Either way I'll keep my grades to myself, not trust a single other soul with it.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Michaela wrote:
And anyone that can figure out your TLS identity.

Michaela

Bronze

Post by Michaela » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:29 pm

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
Michaela wrote:
And anyone that can figure out your TLS identity.
I know, but I don't really care if people do know (pretty obvious to see where I went to undergrad...).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:42 pm

I got a C+ in torts which still baffles me, although I have a meeting next week with the prof to go over my answer. Even more puzzling is the curve for the class which looks like this -

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

The median GPA for the school is a B+, first year stats wont be available until May. Does this look like a normal curve to you? 86% of the section below the "median?"

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:44 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I got a C+ in torts which still baffles me, although I have a meeting next week with the prof to go over my answer. Even more puzzling is the curve for the class which looks like this -

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

The median GPA for the school is a B+, first year stats wont be available until May. Does this look like a normal curve to you? 86% of the section below the "median?"
That's awful. I'd look into whether or not Prof's are required to abide by the curve, if they are you can try to raise hell with the registrar, if it's just a suggested curve then you may be S.O.L. and screwed by the section.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:I got a C+ in torts which still baffles me, although I have a meeting next week with the prof to go over my answer. Even more puzzling is the curve for the class which looks like this -

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

That professor is awful.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:46 pm

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

What in the world? That is one rough grade distribution.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:49 pm

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

Wow, your professor sucks.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:00 pm

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

The curve at NEB is a B isn't it? I think the median here is a B. The profs have to abide by the curve. They can't curve the class to a B while the other sections curve it to a B+. When people say that the prof sucks they usually say it when they do something like this : (Median B)

A+ 1
A 3
A- 2
B+ 5
B 22
B- 9
C+ 15
C 3

This prof could have just as easily swapped the C+ kids with the A- kids and they curve would still have been correct.

JoeFish

Bronze

Post by JoeFish » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Hmm. Our school has a suggested 3.2 for 1Ls (always ends up a little higher than that, I think), and as far as I know the only other restraint is that no more than 20% of each class can get some form of an A. I'm pretty sure all of my professors (and most professors) gave as many As as they were possibly allowed. Nice of them.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:

A+ = 0
A = 1
B+ = 5
B = 15
C+ = 16
C = 6
D+ = 0
D = 0
F = 0

The curve at NEB is a B isn't it? I think the median here is a B. The profs have to abide by the curve. They can't curve the class to a B while the other sections curve it to a B+. When people say that the prof sucks they usually say it when they do something like this : (Median B)

A+ 1
A 3
A- 2
B+ 5
B 22
B- 9
C+ 15
C 3

This prof could have just as easily swapped the C+ kids with the A- kids and they curve would still have been correct.
I don't actually know what the 1L curve is, the only hard stat I have is graudtaion infomation for the class of 2010. Note also that there are no minuses in the grading scheme. Even so, I second the idea that the professor's grading does suck. I would take a B. A C+ just looks terrible on my transcript.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:20 pm

thesteelers wrote: And to rub salt in the wound, the ditziest girl in my LRW section - like seriously she doesn't know anything about the industry or anything about law school, and she doesn't even really want to be a lawyer, and she says such ignorant things sometimes that you can only stare - got an A. What the fuck man.
We have the same thing. Kind of destroys any faith you might still have left that law school exams are useful.

BlinkNC

New

Post by BlinkNC » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:40 pm

Long time lurker - Torts A, Civ Pro A, Contracts A-. Waiting on Property / LRW.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

BlinkNC wrote:Long time lurker - Torts A, Civ Pro A, Contracts A-. Waiting on Property / LRW.
Killing it. Congrats

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:43 pm

BlinkNC wrote:Long time lurker - Torts A, Civ Pro A, Contracts A-. Waiting on Property / LRW.
Grats.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Sandro wrote:
thesteelers wrote: And to rub salt in the wound, the ditziest girl in my LRW section - like seriously she doesn't know anything about the industry or anything about law school, and she doesn't even really want to be a lawyer, and she says such ignorant things sometimes that you can only stare - got an A. What the fuck man.
We have the same thing. Kind of destroys any faith you might still have left that law school exams are useful.
take your lumps like a class act, plz.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 pm

5ky wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Credited. When it comes to law school grading, it is what it is.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:30 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
5ky wrote:
Sandro wrote:
Credited. When it comes to law school grading, it is what it is.
Agreed. And resenting other law students for their success leads you down a bad path.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:45 pm

Excellent set up! :D :D :D

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:50 am

I got an A in torts!!!!!!!!! Honestly one of the happiest days of my life.

So far I'm at A- in Property and A in Torts. 1 more grade to go and it's only 3 credits (Torts and Prop are both 5).

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:52 am

NYC Law wrote:I got an A in torts!!!!!!!!! Honestly one of the happiest days of my life.

So far I'm at A- in Property and A in Torts. 1 more grade to go and it's only 3 credits (Torts and Prop are both 5).
Congrats, but I gotta ask, did your grade come out at midnight on a saturday?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 am

Flips88 wrote:
NYC Law wrote:I got an A in torts!!!!!!!!! Honestly one of the happiest days of my life.

Congrats, but I gotta ask, did your grade come out at midnight on a saturday?
Yeah, I've been checking all day every 30 mins or so. Last one came out around this time on a wednesday too.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”