Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
adonai
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:09 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Green Crayons wrote:
adonai wrote:I don't see how crim is brutal. I think it is the easiest 1L class by far simply because it is so practical and straightforward. I think it is the easiest to issue spot.
I too often remark to my co-conspirators in a fashion that furthers the conspiracy about the various criminal conduct and elements of same in which we engage as well as providing some counterpoint examples of how other jurisdictions have handled similar conduct that our jurisdiction qualifies as a crime. Further, I take time to remark upon the potential defenses that we may invoke and about how they are likely to fail, regardless of the jurisdiction in which we may find ourselves; but I am sure to triangulate the pointed subject of my soliloquy by frequently referencing rhetoric of various theories of desert and the like so that me and my fellow mates can appreciate the practicality of fucking criminal law what the hell are you talking about.



Also, the answer is property, but only because that was probably the only 1L final I took that I was actively bored in writing. Not worried. Not anxious. Not engaged. Bored out of my mind.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

User avatar
$peppercorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby $peppercorn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:Ones with word limits. >_<


+1 and a big reason why torts was my worst...and the old exams were not limited. We were the first. It was a little bit of a surprise.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 pm

adonai wrote:I don't see how crim is brutal. I think it is the easiest 1L class by far simply because it is so practical and straightforward. I think it is the easiest to issue spot.


not once you factor in attempts, accomplice liability, and conspiracy

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:15 am

Loved Con Law and Torts but I hated Civ Pro and Contracts.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am

$peppercorn wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Ones with word limits. >_<


+1 and a big reason why torts was my worst...and the old exams were not limited. We were the first. It was a little bit of a surprise.


I hit the word limit on my exam exactly. And still felt I had more to say/address, there just wasn't any room. It was a guessing game trying to decide what arguments to keep in and what to leave out.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3885
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am

RR320 wrote:I had my first final today civ pro (they split it into two semesters at my school) and its worth the least amt of credits this semester, but i really think i did horribly. With the MC questions the fact patterns killed me.


I so fucking wish we had some MC questions for civ pro. First, there's a whole bunch of stuff that you can't really test unless you put in some MC. Second, MC is the one section of every exam that I've been doing good in. Not having MC in my worst subject = I got ruined.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby sundance95 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:34 am

How do you figure there is stuff you cant test unless it is MC? What parts of civpro?

User avatar
$peppercorn
Posts: 142
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby $peppercorn » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:33 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
$peppercorn wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Ones with word limits. >_<


+1 and a big reason why torts was my worst...and the old exams were not limited. We were the first. It was a little bit of a surprise.


I hit the word limit on my exam exactly. And still felt I had more to say/address, there just wasn't any room. It was a guessing game trying to decide what arguments to keep in and what to leave out.


I sacrificed my policy question, which was only worth 10 points out of 200, by keeping it pretty short. I came up one word short of the limit

User avatar
OklahomasOK
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Contracts. He included stuff over breach of warranties... and we never covered it in class. Luckily I had an old outline with me and it covered warranties. I hate to see how much some people will lose on that question. They'll assume the warranty provision was simply covered by the UCC and since the contracts didn't mirror each other, resort to 2-207.

I don't know my answer was right, but I'm sure I'm one of very few who bothered to talk about warranties.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby ilovesf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm

I had property, civ pro, and torts this semester. Property was definitely the worst for me because it was closed book. Civ pro would have been the worst had I not been able to bring in the FRCP, but since I could, it wasn't that bad.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby crossarmant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Out my Contracts, CivPro, and Torts classes I enjoyed Torts "class" the most, but hated the test the most too. I feel hated CivPro class the most as well as the subject material, but I felt like the test wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Contracts, our professor has run through all of his past exams with us in review sessions, what we should see and how we should approach it; it's helpful, but I also don't like the fact that all other 60 or so people in my class are privy to the same knowledge.

User avatar
MrPapagiorgio
Posts: 1747
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm

crossarmant wrote:Out my Contracts, CivPro, and Torts classes I enjoyed Torts "class" the most, but hated the test the most too. I feel hated CivPro class the most as well as the subject material, but I felt like the test wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Contracts, our professor has run through all of his past exams with us in review sessions, what we should see and how we should approach it; it's helpful, but I also don't like the fact that all other 60 or so people in my class are privy to the same knowledge.

Yea fuck level playing fields. Just kidding. I'm with you on that because between holding review sessions, suggesting supplements and essentially providing the skeleton for our outlines, I feel like any advantage I had from the information provided here is moot. I thought prof's were supposed to be dicks who did not give a fuck about us.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12581
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby jessuf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:10 pm

i feel least confident about crim law. the multiple choice were insanely tricky, so of course i spent too much time on those and didn't have enough time to make my long essay especially stellar.

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12581
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby jessuf » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:13 pm

oh also, i took crim law, civ pro, and contracts this semester.

i'm hoping for a 4.0 in civ pro. we took 3 quizzes that constituted 55% of our grade, so i already know 55% of my grade. that helps alleviate stress.

just took contracts yesterday. i absolutely did not study for it aside from making an outline a few days before. it was two long essays, twelve short answer. i feel pretty confident about my answers. however, it all depends on how everyone else did, of course.

fingers crossed !

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

ConLaw. Torts was probably second because it was an hour MC and then a 5 hour nasty issue-spotter with a word limit.
Favorite was Crim, with Property a close second (both were short, to the point and totally made sense based on what the professors taught all semester).

User avatar
DrGuano
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby DrGuano » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:28 pm

Ty Webb wrote:LOL at 1Ls in this thread that haven't taken ConLaw.

Just wait until 2 days before your exam when you start using creative Youtube videos for a last learning resort on something that you've failed to fully grasp.


it's such a subjective question. i never did that for con law, studied a fair amount, and got an A at a top school. it is all relative to your strengths and interest as a student + your professor's exam style/format.

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3885
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:37 pm

sundance95 wrote:How do you figure there is stuff you cant test unless it is MC? What parts of civpro?


Twombly/Iqbal for one.

Unless the prof (and some might do this, I dunno) puts a hypo complaint and then asks you to play the role of judge/clerk in determining whether it should pass the Twiqbal test.

User avatar
sundance95
Posts: 2123
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby sundance95 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:17 pm

That's what my CivPro prof did.

Anomaly
Posts: 151
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby Anomaly » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:22 pm

My 24 hour take-home was torture.

TLS Profs: please don't put your students through that.

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby as stars burn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:31 pm

I'm a 2L, but my Ks exam was the worst. I completely blanked on the first essay and panicked (the absolute worst thing you can). I somehow managed a B+ in that class.....I have no idea how either because I was certain I did terrible. Professional responsibility, believe it or not, also sucked, but that's another story......

User avatar
as stars burn
Posts: 525
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby as stars burn » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:34 pm

Jessuf wrote:oh also, i took crim law, civ pro, and contracts this semester.

i'm hoping for a 4.0 in civ pro. we took 3 quizzes that constituted 55% of our grade, so i already know 55% of my grade. that helps alleviate stress.

just took contracts yesterday. i absolutely did not study for it aside from making an outline a few days before. it was two long essays, twelve short answer. i feel pretty confident about my answers. however, it all depends on how everyone else did, of course.

fingers crossed !


Haha. You clearly have no idea how the curve works. I hope your confidence pays off!

Arbinshire
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby Arbinshire » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:46 pm

Closed book Civ Pro.

User avatar
ahduth
Posts: 2468
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby ahduth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 am

TheFutureLawyer wrote:
sundance95 wrote:How do you figure there is stuff you cant test unless it is MC? What parts of civpro?


Twombly/Iqbal for one.

Unless the prof (and some might do this, I dunno) puts a hypo complaint and then asks you to play the role of judge/clerk in determining whether it should pass the Twiqbal test.


Our prof has a more radical position on Twombly/Iqbal, where we're looking at the possibility that some cases might be impossible to bring, because the factual allegations necessary for a proper pleading might not be attainable without discovery.

One way he handled it on our exam is he gave the state a supplementary FRCP 12 clause that granted limited pre-pleading discovery, and pushed you into sorting out where that scenario went.

User avatar
AlexanderSupertramp
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 am

Contracts killed me this year.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby northwood » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:56 am

legislation and regulation.... that class i can either get an A or an F....

have no idea how i did




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: perfunctory and 7 guests