Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RR320

Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby RR320 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:50 pm

I had my first final today civ pro (they split it into two semesters at my school) and its worth the least amt of credits this semester, but i really think i did horribly. With the MC questions the fact patterns killed me. By the time i got to the essay I was fried, and I think i put down all the right rules, but my analysis was lacking and i didn't make good arguments. I went and bought myself some cookies after the test to make me feel better....still have crim, torts, and contracts left.

Mce252

Re: Which 1L final would you say is the worst?

Postby Mce252 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:52 pm

Whichever one causes everyone else to suck.

Seminole_305

Postby Seminole_305 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:44 pm

The more time passes the more I am afraid I didnt do well. FML. Probably Contracts was my worst to be honest because I had no idea what I was doing and I am sure I rambled on the essay.

In fact I rambled on every essay... ugh.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm also partial to contracts. For the past 10 years or so a 60/100 has been a solid A. Meaning: even if you do well, you will walk out of there feeling like an utter failure. Other meaning: despite the feeling of failure potentially being the bearer of good news, it could also be the bearer of real failure (for me). Though, in all likelihood, my school curves to nearly a B+ so I need to calm it the heck down. As I believe most law schools are similar to our curve, this likely applies to many other 1Ls as well. Really am going to need to pop a zannie before grade release. :shock:

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:15 pm

I'll let you know in mid-January.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Property.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:32 pm

Whichever one is coming up in the most immediate future. Currently, Torts.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:Whichever one is coming up in the most immediate future. Currently, Torts.

I will second the torts, but for a different reason. Going through past years exams and realizing that nearly every issue is in a convoluted mess of bullshit = me wanting to commit the most intentional tort ever against the professor.

cool

Postby cool » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Con law by far.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Depends on the prof and the kind of test they give, imo.

I'm also gonna go with whichever one happens to be last.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:40 pm

Worst is crim because that was my worst 1L grade.
Best one is civpro because that was my best 1L grade.

Straightforward to me.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:42 pm

I go with torts also

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:18 pm

My most difficult 1L exam was Torts. It ended up being one of the classes I booked.

Keep in mind that all (or perhaps most) your 1L classes are on a curve. Doing "badly" on a tough exam could give you a better grade than doing really well on an easy exam. My first semester civ pro exam was extremely easy (personal/smj jxd mainly). The problem with that exam was that a difference between an A answer (mine) and a B answer (a friends) came down to very minor differences. Torts on the other hand was very hard, both in a time pressure and issue/analysis sense. The fact pattern had MANY issues, hidden issues and tons of things to discuss. Most of the class expected to do badly on the exam. Thus, my "bad" answer ended up being the best.

Don't worry yourselves about grades until you get them.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:46 pm

contracts and crim were both brutal. I think I could have learned everything I needed for those tests in 2 weeks. Both became exercises in creative thinking...really frustrating and also difficult given the pressure/time constraints. Torts was a regular issue spotter, which was fine and I was prepared for. Contracts and crim though...I'm still fuming.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 pm

I don't see how crim is brutal. I think it is the easiest 1L class by far simply because it is so practical and straightforward. I think it is the easiest to issue spot.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:53 pm

adonai wrote:I don't see how crim is brutal. I think it is the easiest 1L class by far simply because it is so practical and straightforward. I think it is the easiest to issue spot.

Well, yeah, but that's true for everyone in the class. Which, you know, is curved.

kwais

Postby kwais » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:55 pm

This has nothing to do with subject matter. It is entirely your style, your professor, your classmates, and the test format. That said, I'll say torts. What an amorphous blob of lawvomit.

crit_racer

Postby crit_racer » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 pm

I felt very good about crim until this exam. In fact, I got an A on the midterm (which was graded on the curve). The exam we got was just an opinion from a real case regarding MoF/x-fer of intent and asked us to write a memo on whether or not we agreed with the holding. Lots of issues to be considered, none of which could have been given proper attention in such a short timespan. We never covered x-fer of intent in class.

Also, to presidentv8, I resent your insinuating that I am on the lower part of the curve. Everyone in my class agreed this was a ridiculously hard exam.

For those of you who have been given exams that are more than just issue spotters, I'm sure you can understand the frustration. Especially an exam that is so policy heavy in a class that wasn't really geared that way.
Last edited by crit_racer on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adonai

Postby adonai » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:00 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
adonai wrote:I don't see how crim is brutal. I think it is the easiest 1L class by far simply because it is so practical and straightforward. I think it is the easiest to issue spot.

Well, yeah, but that's true for everyone in the class. Which, you know, is curved.

Well now that's a conversation stopper.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:02 pm

Look they all fuckin suck okay

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:04 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Look they all fuckin suck okay

TCR

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:21 pm

kwais wrote:This has nothing to do with subject matter. It is entirely your style, your professor, your classmates, and the test format. That said, I'll say torts. What an amorphous blob of lawvomit.

+1

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:28 pm

LOL at 1Ls in this thread that haven't taken ConLaw.

Just wait until 2 days before your exam when you start using creative Youtube videos for a last learning resort on something that you've failed to fully grasp.

Green Crayons

Postby Green Crayons » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I too often remark to my co-conspirators in a fashion that furthers the conspiracy about the various criminal conduct and elements of same in which we engage as well as providing some counterpoint examples of how other jurisdictions have handled similar conduct that our jurisdiction qualifies as a crime. Further, I take time to remark upon the potential defenses that we may invoke and about how they are likely to fail, regardless of the jurisdiction in which we may find ourselves; but I am sure to triangulate the pointed subject of my soliloquy by frequently referencing rhetoric of various theories of desert and the like so that me and my fellow mates can appreciate the practicality of fucking criminal law what the hell are you talking about.

Also, the answer is property, but only because that was probably the only 1L final I took that I was actively bored in writing. Not worried. Not anxious. Not engaged. Bored out of my mind.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Ones with word limits. >_<

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”