How To Avoid Burnout?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
nodummy

How To Avoid Burnout?

Postby nodummy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I'm taking my last exam tomorrow. I've been increasingly burned-out since november first. i feel like finals would've gone a lot better if i had the same level of energy as the first month or two or school.

As of right now I don't want to look at another case or read another theorist...i can't imagine coming back and doing it all over again next semester. i enjoy law school and the readings but right now i just cant imagine reading anything else.does this feeling go away for most people after the break?

also, i went to the library everyday from the start of school until this weekend (not including t-giving, the day/not the week). Should I not do this next semester? I was following Arrow/Talon's adivce but maybe I'm just not on the same wave-length as those guys and need to fall more in-line with my classmates who never went to the library until novmember first.

i can't believe the entire grade is based on these three/four hypos per class exam. what a joke. why did i try so hard in october? i feel like i made a huge mistake working before november first (and even that might still be too early).

I.P. Daly

Re: How To Avoid Burnout?

Postby I.P. Daly » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:46 pm

The burnout fads away several shots and several beers after your last exam...

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:56 pm

you'll be fine for 2nd semester... a few weeks break cures all.

also, consider this: 1L burnout is a close relative of 2L no motivation. you will get this feeling again

cool

Postby cool » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:54 pm

Easy, just imagine yourself in a situation consisting of a lot of debt and no job.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:58 pm

A few weeks off and you'll be fine. I've been doing nothing but drinking beer and watching TV since I got done, and I feel light-years better.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:39 pm

--ImageRemoved--

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:03 am

Meh. If you're going to go the Scotch route, at least go baller -

quiver

Postby quiver » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:27 am

As others have pointed out, the way to avoid burnout involves some combination of time off, alcohol, sex, and this
cool wrote:Easy, just imagine yourself in a situation consisting of a lot of debt and no job.

WayBryson

Postby WayBryson » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:44 am

In no particular order:

Skyrim
making soup
8 solid hours of sleep
*any of the credited alcohol suggestions in this thread
the opposite sex
or in the alternative the same sex
starbucks
television
books written for people who have no clue what what Rule 23(f) is, what Mandamus is, or how they are related
working out
[edit]: Google Image searches for Scalia.

Black Face Law

Postby Black Face Law » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:18 pm

Amateurs.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 am

nodummy wrote:I'm taking my last exam tomorrow. I've been increasingly burned-out since november first. i feel like finals would've gone a lot better if i had the same level of energy as the first month or two or school.

As of right now I don't want to look at another case or read another theorist...i can't imagine coming back and doing it all over again next semester. i enjoy law school and the readings but right now i just cant imagine reading anything else.does this feeling go away for most people after the break?

also, i went to the library everyday from the start of school until this weekend (not including t-giving, the day/not the week). Should I not do this next semester? I was following Arrow/Talon's adivce but maybe I'm just not on the same wave-length as those guys and need to fall more in-line with my classmates who never went to the library until novmember first.

i can't believe the entire grade is based on these three/four hypos per class exam. what a joke. why did i try so hard in october? i feel like i made a huge mistake working before november first (and even that might still be too early).

Whether the feeling goes away may depend on how your grades went. Try not to think about it, but I'll admit, I checked the grades website every fricken day, often at 3-4am, as that is when the system generally updated once daily......Just take this time off and appreciate what you've accomplished - it gets easier from here, I swear! Come spring exams, you'll know what to expect and it won't be so new and stressful.

gtrwanka

Postby gtrwanka » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 am

Peasants.

Postby 071816 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:49 am

Try getting some SBA

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:52 am

nodummy wrote:I'm taking my last exam tomorrow. I've been increasingly burned-out since november first. i feel like finals would've gone a lot better if i had the same level of energy as the first month or two or school.

I literally feel the same way. Hopefully all of that pays off for us but I am feeling like a lot of my prep was worthless.

ShennaG

Postby ShennaG » Wed May 01, 2013 6:19 am

deleted

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed May 01, 2013 1:26 pm

ShennaG wrote:spam

I recommend clicking on the link. Some great advice!!

soj

Postby soj » Wed May 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Pokemon wrote:
ShennaG wrote:spam

I recommend clicking on the link. Some great advice!!

Don't quote spam.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”