How many hours did you study for your finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
acrossthelake

Re: How many hours did you study for your finals?

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:34 pm

bk1 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:There's really not all that much material to synthesize at all. Application to facts, on the other hand...

Nothing has prepared me better than taking practice exams (preferably from my prof) and just getting comfortable with doing what you have to do on the actual exam.

Pretty much everyone is going to know the BLL (I mean in many classes everyone is going to have made a fully fleshed out outline). And I think pretty much everyone will be able to do basic exam stuff like arguing both sides and doing things in an IRAC-esque format. But not everyone is going to have the same speed/comfort in spotting issues and applying law to those issues.

Then again I'm just a naive 1L likely to get medianpwnt.

Agreed on practice exams. I was a lot more stressed the first time I did a Ks practice exam than I am taking the real thing.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:56 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm still glad as hell that I didn't piss my social life away reading casebooks for 5 hours every day all semester. I have some friends that I haven't seen out at night since Hallow-fucking-ween. That's just ridiculous.

So you don't want to be top of the class then....

Oh, and this should have been mentioned earlier, but you really should have a steady mate before you enter law school. The need for good sex can be very distracting, and when I saw my peers discussing what bars they would hit up on thursday night, I smiled knowing that they would not present an obstacle to my A. And they didn't, because my love was at home, in bed, waiting for me, and while they drank, I rested or studied or played video games until 4 am because I got all my studying done during the afternoon. And she knew my success would get us out of our apartment, so she was supportive, and THAT is amazingly helpful. Women are crazy. Trying to court one is impossible while devoting the proper amount of time to studying. And law school chicks are DESPERATE, because they know youth is slipping away, so you're going to deal with a lot of bullshit dating in law school. Get them while they are young, make them understand you'll need accomodation during the semester, and concentrate on getting As. Yeah, a little late for this unsolicited advice, but there you go.

tyft

cool

Postby cool » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm

dreakol wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:
Tanicius wrote:I'm still glad as hell that I didn't piss my social life away reading casebooks for 5 hours every day all semester. I have some friends that I haven't seen out at night since Hallow-fucking-ween. That's just ridiculous.

Oh, and this should have been mentioned earlier, but you really should have a steady mate before you enter law school. The need for good sex can be very distracting, and when I saw my peers discussing what bars they would hit up on thursday night, I smiled knowing that they would not present an obstacle to my A. And they didn't, because my love was at home, in bed, waiting for me, and while they drank, I rested or studied or played video games until 4 am because I got all my studying done during the afternoon. And she knew my success would get us out of our apartment, so she was supportive, and THAT is amazingly helpful. Women are crazy. Trying to court one is impossible while devoting the proper amount of time to studying. And law school chicks are DESPERATE, because they know youth is slipping away, so you're going to deal with a lot of bullshit dating in law school. Get them while they are young, make them understand you'll need accomodation during the semester, and concentrate on getting As. Yeah, a little late for this unsolicited advice, but there you go.

tyft

One word...freshmen.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:21 pm

bk1 wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:There's really not all that much material to synthesize at all. Application to facts, on the other hand...

Nothing has prepared me better than taking practice exams (preferably from my prof) and just getting comfortable with doing what you have to do on the actual exam.

Pretty much everyone is going to know the BLL (I mean in many classes everyone is going to have made a fully fleshed out outline). And I think pretty much everyone will be able to do basic exam stuff like arguing both sides and doing things in an IRAC-esque format. But not everyone is going to have the same speed/comfort in spotting issues and applying law to those issues.

Then again I'm just a naive 1L likely to get medianpwnt.

This is what I focused on, past exams, E&E and former students outline. I don't feel like I did very well on my exams though. So who knows.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:22 pm

freshman

God yes. I felt like an idiot going to bar review in November. The only other people who would go were all either upperclassmen or, funnily enough, the people in their higher 20's.
Last edited by Tanicius on Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Studied about 25 hours for Crim Pro

Didn't study for any other finals, cause none of the others were in-class exams.

can't tell if this thread is full of tools or trolls (probably both)

Postby 071816 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 pm

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

chimp wrote:76.4

is the .4 exact, rounded up, or rounded down?

Postby 071816 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 pm

gaud wrote:

Exact. To the minute.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm

chimp wrote:
gaud wrote:

Exact. To the minute.

Practicing for BigLaw time keeping already.

dood

Postby dood » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:15 pm

crossarmant wrote:
chimp wrote:
gaud wrote:

Exact. To the minute.

Practicing for BigLaw time keeping already.

u doing it wrong, overbill by at least 25%

over summer, a partner (through his secretary) asked how i billed 26 hours in 1 day.

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:40 pm

dood wrote:u doing it wrong, overbill by at least 25%

over summer, a partner (through his secretary) asked how i billed 26 hours in 1 day.

Like a BOSS!

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:04 pm

cool wrote:
dreakol wrote:
NotMyRealName09 wrote:

tyft

One word...freshmen.

cant tell if this is a jab at me

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:11 pm

dreakol wrote:
cool wrote:
dreakol wrote:tyft

One word...freshmen.

cant tell if this is a jab at me

It's gotta be me, and for the most part it's accurate. K-JD baby, and I didn't really discover drinking in college til my third year.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:12 pm

i finished most of my outlines by thanksgiving, and did all the E&Es by end of the first week of December. I'm still looking over outlines and eyeballing e&e hypos, and I've taken as many PT's as possible. What else can I do?? I feel weird not studying 12hrs a day.
Last edited by jjlaw on Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Tanicius wrote:I didn't really discover drinking in college til my third year.

How did you live before then?? :shock:

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:32 pm

I was kinda the same way. I drank occasionally as an under, maybe like one part every two months or some such. Once I hit 21 and realized I could just buy alcohol whenever I wanted, then the over-indulgence kicked in.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:46 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

How did you live before then?? :shock:

1.) Got in a relationship week before classes started.
2.) Came out of the relationship at the tail end of sophomore year.

I might as well have been frozen in time for those two years, because stepping back onto the social scene felt like a completely different universe.

Once I hit 21 and realized I could just buy alcohol whenever I wanted, then the over-indulgence kicked in.

Yup. Also, I didn't realize before that bars are where it's way easier to meet people (not just people you're interested in, but just about any kind of friend you could want).

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Screw you guys studying 10 hours a day, you are what will ruin me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”