Public interest law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
redgreenpaper

Public interest law

Postby redgreenpaper » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:56 pm

Why do you guys hate it? Sure it mean a lower salary than mid-law but you I've seen you guys compare its reputation to lowly jobs like janitors and stuff. If you have no job offers from firms then why not? Also, can't you work in PI for a while, gain experience, then later apply to and get a job at a firm?

bk1

Re: Public interest law

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm fairly sure that not one single thing you said lines up with TLS conventional wisdom.

Bronx Bum

Postby Bronx Bum » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:11 pm

What in god's name?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:24 pm

On the off chance this isn't a flame, the people of TLS don't hate public interest law. Many will point out that it does not function as a backup, however, and can be harder to land than biglaw. This is especially true if your resume is "generic" and you don't have cohesive reasons for wanting to work with a certain population. If you are aiming for PI, do your research and look into fellowships-- don't assume you can waltz into a PI job even with the proper credentials.

I.P. Daly

Postby I.P. Daly » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:35 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:Why do you guys hate it? Sure it mean a lower salary than mid-law but you I've seen you guys compare its reputation to lowly jobs like janitors and stuff. If you have no job offers from firms then why not? Also, can't you work in PI for a while, gain experience, then later apply to and get a job at a firm?

I think a troll started a thread several weeks ago devoted to bashing pubic interest law. However, he was trollin.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”