Best web site for discounted (but new) law school books?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
SteveIP

Best web site for discounted (but new) law school books?

Postby SteveIP » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:20 pm

This first semester, I purchased all my texts at the campus book store. Very expensive.

Can anyone suggest a good site for discounted casebooks? (FYI, I do want them brand new, not used.) Thanks in advance for all leads.

bk1

Re: Best web site for discounted (but new) law school books?

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:22 pm

I generally go with Amazon since I get points and have Prime. I'd imagine you can find it cheaper if you search using Google.

truevines

Postby truevines » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:35 pm

SteveIP wrote:This first semester, I purchased all my texts at the campus book store. Very expensive.

Can anyone suggest a good site for discounted casebooks? (FYI, I do want them brand new, not used.) Thanks in advance for all leads.

half.com or amazon.com.

I rented two of my casebooks this semester on half.com.

On a hindsight, I should have simply copied the TOC and pulled cases from Westlaw (never opened those two casebooks).

Disclaimer: I'm 3L.

ran12

Postby ran12 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Def Amazon or half.com. Every other website is a ripoff, esp. the so called discount law book sites.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Honestly,

Make an account at http://www.ebates.com, they will give you 2.5% cashback on purchases from half.com and 5% cash back on abebooks. Unfortunately, Amazon is too big and doesn't offer and cashback. I normally find half.com is the cheapest, Abebooks is crazy. Sometimes they will be much cheaper other times much more. Seems like the cheaper the book is, the better your chances of getting it cheaper on Abebooks.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 pm

Best overall site: http://www.gettextbooks.com

Think of it as the Google for textbooks. It's a search engine that filters through bookstore sites like Amazon, Half.com, and Abebooks. They factor in shipping costs, but not taxes, so make sure to factor that in for sites that charge it. I'd say GTB will end up showing the best results as coming from Amazon and Half about 80% of the time anyway, though on occasion, they do also show better prices from the lesser known sites. They're also good about letting you know about any coupons available. I was able to shave off an additional $15 off my tax casebook through an online coupon I didn't even know about.

Other than that, I may consider the textbook rental option next semester if I can save more $$$.

morris248

Postby morris248 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 pm

FYI, I do want them brand new, not used

That is a total waste of money. Buy a used casebook and two supplements. You will usually get more out of the supplements anyway.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:09 pm

morris248 wrote:

That is a total waste of money. Buy a used casebook and two supplements. You will usually get more out of the supplements anyway.

Really. I actually buy books I think I will have the best chance of cutting even at.

I got really lucky with my books for next semester. Most of them were sold 'Good' but they turned out to be much better.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:58 pm

morris248 wrote:

Yeah. I generally try to buy books in "Good" or "Very good" condition with few or no markings for a lot less than new. Every so often, I score a book that was considered "very good" but could've been sold as "like new."

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”