Best Supplements for Contracts, Crim Law, and Con Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
consigliere0329

Best Supplements for Contracts, Crim Law, and Con Law

Postby consigliere0329 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:02 pm

Finishing up my first semester of my 1L year and in doing so am realizing the biggest mistake I made was being overly concerned with staying ahead and up to date with the reading assignments instead of spending more time reviewing what we already went over.

So, I want to get a jump on the spring semester while I have my one month break. Although I am really looking forward to the down time, I figure 2-3 hours a day on the weekdays studying for next semester won't kill me and will make me much more comfortable once it starts.

I have heard the E&E for Contracts is really good and probably the best supplement for that class. I read a few reviews that said they liked the Lexis Contracts Explained better (I think that's what it was called). Any feedback? Also, I think they released an updated E&E last January. Do I really need to get the updated one or can I get a used previous version (last update was in 2007 I think)?

What about for Crim Law and Con Law?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

MrPapagiorgio

Re: Best Supplements for Contracts, Crim Law, and Con Law

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Not sure about the Contracts E&E because my professor teaches Contracts unlike anyone else, so no supplement would have helped (this was confirmed by multiple 2Ls and 3Ls). For Crim the E&Es were extremely helpful (the prof recommended it in her syllabus). For Con Law, I've heard Chemerinksy is the best, but I won't know personally until next semester.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:03 am

i love e&e for contracts. great for explaining confusing stuff that my professor glossed over in class. i also like siegels for contracts - had multiple choice and essay questions. i also bought west's case briefs because my mind would space out while reading boring cases like nanakuli. the case briefs helped center everything and were always right on point.

for crim law, i used glannon, q&a, and dressler's understanding criminal law. first, the dressler book was amazing for bll stuff in different jurisdictions. glannon was just like the dressler book but shorter and with multiple choice questions thrown in. q&a was all multiple choice and short answer, which is good if you have those types of questions on an exam.

i do not recommend gilberts outlines.

target

Postby target » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:10 am

For Contract, a lot of people have said http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Analysis ... 1587781972 is a good one. I didn't use it, so had no idea. E&E is good in my opinion. Siegel's is also good, and IMO is better than Q&A.

I will take Con and Crim Law next semester. I bought the Dressler's book and Chemerinsky's already. I plan to wait until knowing what types of question my profs ask on exam before buying more supplements. HTH

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 am

Chemerinsky for con law

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:03 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Not sure about the Contracts E&E because my professor teaches Contracts unlike anyone else, so no supplement would have helped (this was confirmed by multiple 2Ls and 3Ls). For Crim the E&Es were extremely helpful (the prof recommended it in her syllabus). For Con Law, I've heard Chemerinksy is the best, but I won't know personally until next semester.

My prof has a "different" approach to contracts too. I read the E&E and it was helpful, but not 100% consistent with what he taught. A lot of people, including my prof and 2Ls/3Ls who've had him recommend "the ship book" (Chirelstein). I'm still reading it and am finding it to be a mixed bag...he doesn't always explain the cases the same way my prof did, but some of it is helpful. Whenever I find conflicting info I just go talk to my prof to make sure I understand his interpretation.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

HWS08 wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Not sure about the Contracts E&E because my professor teaches Contracts unlike anyone else, so no supplement would have helped (this was confirmed by multiple 2Ls and 3Ls). For Crim the E&Es were extremely helpful (the prof recommended it in her syllabus). For Con Law, I've heard Chemerinksy is the best, but I won't know personally until next semester.

My prof has a "different" approach to contracts too. I read the E&E and it was helpful, but not 100% consistent with what he taught. A lot of people, including my prof and 2Ls/3Ls who've had him recommend "the ship book" (Chirelstein). I'm still reading it and am finding it to be a mixed bag...he doesn't always explain the cases the same way my prof did, but some of it is helpful. Whenever I find conflicting info I just go talk to my prof to make sure I understand his interpretation.

Yea, I wish I could do that but during office hours he still pulls the Socratic bullshit and I never leave with anything that even slightly resembles certainty. Depending on how I did for this semester's final (k's is a full year for us), I will either search for some type of supplement or live in his office next semester because it's the one class I feel lost in and I feel like it shouldn't be this confusing. (Dude analyzed a promissory estoppel case as if it was a true contract case. Nobody I talked to after that had a goddamn clue what he was trying to get at).

pinkcamellia

Postby pinkcamellia » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Dressler and the E&E for Crim.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Contracts - see my thread in the sell buy trade forum
Con Law - " ", + I have a Emanuels Outline 2009-2010 edition that I will sell for $18.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:43 pm

Contracts E&E is ok, but I didn't like it as much as the other E&E's. Much more convoluted. I've been using commercial outlines, Crunchtime, Acing Series, and the E&E.

target

Postby target » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:00 am

pump this to see if there is any other suggestion, especially for crim law and con law.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:02 am

dressler for crim law
chemerinsky for con law (but make sure you understand your prof's take on things...might be drastically different!)

target

Postby target » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:04 am

f0bolous wrote:dressler for crim law
chemerinsky for con law (but make sure you understand your prof's take on things...might be drastically different!)

thanks. my prof's gonna use chemerinsky case book as well, so that's helpful. Any suggestions for good supplements with practice questions?

BEAST_mode

Postby BEAST_mode » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:11 am

K's E&E is decent. Easy to read, easy to understand. I worked through it summer prior to 1L and wasn't lost. Helpful in formatting and organizing my outline. Chirelstein is the best, though. More in depth, but surprisingly concise. A must read. Honestly, if it weren't for these two, I wouldn't have learned shit in K's.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:14 am

target wrote:For Contract, a lot of people have said http://www.amazon.com/Concepts-Analysis ... 1587781972 is a good one. I didn't use it, so had no idea.

It's what I would recommend, especially if you're reading it beforehand. It's shockingly readable for a primer on a legal subject, and it provides an excellent overview of concepts you're likely to encounter without getting too bogged down in the details. That'll come during class.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”