The Salary of Every UT Austin Law Professor

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BeenDidThat

Re: The Salary of Every UT Austin Law Professor

Postby BeenDidThat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:36 pm

quiver wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:
quiver wrote:The private school salaries would be interesting to compare with these.

Top privates are WAY higher. I am trying to remember what Kagan hauled in as dean of Harvard, but it destroyed what you see from UVA and UT's deans.
Hmmm so how do top public schools attract top professors (Mich, UVA, etc.)? Just by geographic location?

Fantastic academic reputations, though if Harvard gives you the nod, you go for the money and the prestige. But if it's between Cornell and UVA/Mich, I think most profs are going UVA/Mich.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:05 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
quiver wrote:The private school salaries would be interesting to compare with these.

Top privates are WAY higher. I am trying to remember what Kagan hauled in as dean of Harvard, but it destroyed what you see from UVA and UT's deans.

I dunno that this is a fair comparison for private v. public. Harvard's sort of in a higher class than either of the other two schools, and besides that Harvard is massive. If deans have any economy of scale at all, you'd expect that Harvard, Georgetown, and Cooley would be willing to pay out the ass for theirs. Plus, UVA's barely even a public school. They charge just about the same tuition as the rest of the t14 (instate tuition discount is 5k...lol) and they're financially dependent from the larger university.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:41 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

I dunno that this is a fair comparison for private v. public. Harvard's sort of in a higher class than either of the other two schools, and besides that Harvard is massive. If deans have any economy of scale at all, you'd expect that Harvard, Georgetown, and Cooley would be willing to pay out the ass for theirs. Plus, UVA's barely even a public school. They charge just about the same tuition as the rest of the t14 (instate tuition discount is 5k...lol) and they're financially dependent from the larger university.

Nearly every law school is financially independent from their respective universities. Law schools are among the most lucrative post-graduate programs. The real story is which law schools don't have their money siphoned off by other programs.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”