What is your school's exam policy? A Survey

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sbdivemaster

Re: What is your school's exam policy? A Survey

Postby sbdivemaster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:54 pm

SilverE2 wrote:Jesus what toilet is this

Wow, I thought I had found a cool place to share info with fellow law students. Given this level of pretentiousness, I don't think I'll be returning.

As for the answer: The "toilet" I attend has a CalBar pass rate that exceeds the state-wide average pass rate. Not bad for an "unaccredited accredited california night school".

Good luck on your open-book (LOL) exams, snobs.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 pm

sbdivemaster wrote:

Wow, I thought I had found a cool place to share info with fellow law students. Given this level of pretentiousness, I don't think I'll be returning.

As for the answer: The "toilet" I attend has a CalBar pass rate that exceeds the state-wide average pass rate. Not bad for an "unaccredited accredited california night school".

What is this I don't even

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm

Cupidity wrote:At BU, if your examsoft crashes, you don't get extra time.

I remember being in fear due to this policy, especially after seeing someone's computer crash, the subsequent freakout, and then manic scribbling in a bluebook.

NYU is more humane about this, and if your computer crashes, it locks in the time, exam comes to a halt, and you are allowed to pick up where you left off once they get you back up and running.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:34 pm

thesealocust wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
seattlegirl wrote:Northwestern's policy is really cool!!!

For 1L, you have a set time to take the exam but can take it from anywhere on campus...so you don't have to take it in the same classroom as everyone else. This can make it feel less stressful I think. :wink:

For 2L/3L, you have 10-15 days (the exam period) to take all your exams. You logon to a website, downlod the exam, and upload it after the allotted timeperiod (my exams were each 2.5 to 3 hours long). You can take your exams from anywhere and at any time during those days. No need to go to school to take them. If you wanted to take exams from a beach in Mexico or Hawaii that had internet access, you could (though I would advise against that since it would definitely conflict with your motivation). 8) I have friends who are planning to take exams fom cabins and other countries (eg China). Once you have uploaded your exam...you are done. :D

Efficient, elegant, seemless are words that I would use to describe Northwestern's exam policy...though you have to manage your time or you could get hosed with having to take all exams at the very end. :shock:

What is the safeguard against cheating? For example, if its closed book, how do they prevent people from using a supplement or something?

At most schools with flex exams, there isn't one except people's general sense of honor. In my experience most profs at schools with systems like this will thus not give particularly restricted exams for that very reason. I've only had one closed book exam so far at UVA, and it was for a 1L exam where there was more obvious supervision.

Not to mention that NU doesn't even use exam software (no idea how prevalent it is at other schools).

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:04 pm

sbdivemaster wrote:

Aww, stick around. We're an acquired taste.

WSJ_Law

Postby WSJ_Law » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:59 am

SilverE2 wrote:
sbdivemaster wrote:

Aww, stick around. We're an acquired taste.

No we're not. Kill yourself hth

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:26 am

kaiser wrote:

I remember being in fear due to this policy, especially after seeing someone's computer crash, the subsequent freakout, and then manic scribbling in a bluebook.

NYU is more humane about this, and if your computer crashes, it locks in the time, exam comes to a halt, and you are allowed to pick up where you left off once they get you back up and running.

I wonder if this is a feature of Exam4. I have heard a lot of people tell that story about ExamSoft, and I can't imagine so many schools all thinking the "fuck you, here's a Bluebook" approach is good grading policy, so maybe it's a feature the software just didn't offer.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:35 am

It isn't a software thing. It's a stupid BU policy thing.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:29 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
kaiser wrote:

I wonder if this is a feature of Exam4. I have heard a lot of people tell that story about ExamSoft, and I can't imagine so many schools all thinking the "fuck you, here's a Bluebook" approach is good grading policy, so maybe it's a feature the software just didn't offer.

Yeah, we use Exam4 at Vandy, and we have the "bluebook fuck you" policy as well.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 am

We don't have exam software at UChicago, and what they told us is that during in-class exams if your computer crashes you don't lose time. Also, they made it sound like they'll provide you with a computer to take it on if your's breaks during the exam. So, a pretty understanding policy.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:49 am

SilverE2 wrote:Yeah, we use Exam4 at Vandy, and we have the "bluebook fuck you" policy as well.

Use SofTest/ExamSoft at my school and have the "use the software at your own risk" policy: if your computer crashes for whatever reason, you need to switch to the bluebook and get no extra time. Have had no problem so far with 3/4 exams down and hope that I make it through the final one with no issues.

As for the scheduling, I only know that as 1Ls, we need to take the exam in the same room as our section, and all sections take the same subject at the same time. We do get 3 days in between each exam, which is extremely helpful towards focusing last minute studying on each individual subject/getting trashed after each exam.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:44 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:We don't have exam software at UChicago, and what they told us is that during in-class exams if your computer crashes you don't lose time. Also, they made it sound like they'll provide you with a computer to take it on if your's breaks during the exam. So, a pretty understanding policy.

This is similar to NU. They have an exam "headquarters" set up and if your computer has an issue you just go there and they have computers that you can use.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”