Who else feels like they failed all their finals? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ilovesf

Diamond

Re: Who else feels like they failed all their finals?

Post by ilovesf » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:02 am

Grizz wrote: Man cannot live on dim sum alone.
I refuse to believe this.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:05 am

ilovesf wrote:
So greasy and full of carbs. You will survive but may lose a leg to the beetus.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:13 am

Grizz wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
So greasy and full of carbs. You will survive but may lose a leg to the beetus.
Odds are high that I get the beetus during a law school finals period. Could be this semester. I eat nothing but shit during exams. Can't remember the last piece of fruit I ate. Can't even remember the last vegetable I ate that wasn't smothered in sauce/butter/sour cream or stuffed into a giant burrito/sub sandwich/burger.

Also may get some sort of brain tumor from staring at a computer screen/TV for 15 hours a day, but that's another story.

law777

New

Post by law777 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:26 am

So I have a question that I think fits into this thread...

In trying to type as much information as possible on my finals, I feel like my answers were only marginally coherent - grammar/spelling mistakes, etc. IIRC, the organization is probably a train wreck. Has anyone still performed well in the past with these kinds of hindsight issues?

The more I think about it, the worse I did. Missing issues, not being clear with my reasoning, etc, etc. Do professors use any effort to think about what you were trying to say?

I may be screwed.

blong4133

Bronze

Post by blong4133 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:58 am

law777 wrote:So I have a question that I think fits into this thread...

In trying to type as much information as possible on my finals, I feel like my answers were only marginally coherent - grammar/spelling mistakes, etc. IIRC, the organization is probably a train wreck. Has anyone still performed well in the past with these kinds of hindsight issues?

The more I think about it, the worse I did. Missing issues, not being clear with my reasoning, etc, etc. Do professors use any effort to think about what you were trying to say?

I may be screwed.
In all honesty, it probably just depends on how the others in your class did and where the curve gets set. I remember my Civ Pro test last year was so freaking hard, the highest grade was something like a 63%. So if you got a score in the low 50's you probably got a B to a B+. A lot of your grade depends on how everyone else did and where the curve is set.

And with the organizational aspect, at least at my school you have professors who are sticklers about IRAC/CRAC whatever. Some could care less as long as you answer the question.

And for the missing issues, just do a quick outline of the issues and the order in which you plan to talk about them. just write it on the test book or something and then just use that. that's the easiest way. I'd neve be able to keep everything straight on essays if i didn't. Our Crim Pro./Crim Law professor is notorious for giving an essay that literally covers everything we've went over the entire semester. 3 hour exam with 40 MCQ's and one absolutely ginormous essay. I filled up 2 1/2 blue books last year for my Crim law final.

And I don't like to type because I type fast and I like having to slow down that wayy I know what I'm saying is what I want to say. But my first semester I absolutely bombed my torts final essay. We had something like 90 mcq's 2 short essays and on big essay. I finished all the mcq's the big essay and 1 short essay, and was runnning out of time and had to answer the last final by simply listing the issues. No analysis, no nothing. and I still got a B. So don't worry about it. you'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:31 am

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I didn't just think I bombed it... I KNEW I bombed it. I called both my girlfriend and Grizz after the exam just fuming mad.
Totally harshed my mellow when I was eating my burrito bowl.
For an azn you sure do eat a lot of 'Potle.
Man cannot live on dim sum alone.
Your Cantonese?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:01 am

smokyroom26 wrote:Here are the rules for the period of time after finals and before grades are released:

1. Drink.
2. Feel nothing. Your subconscious will take care of that with the dreams. (You'll see.)
3. ???
4. PROFIT.

Seriously, just stop. You have no idea how you did, I promise.
This is tragic and true. 1L winter break requires a lot of scotch.

Also I am so glad you're still using my avatar.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:51 am

thesealocust wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Here are the rules for the period of time after finals and before grades are released:

1. Drink.
2. Feel nothing. Your subconscious will take care of that with the dreams. (You'll see.)
3. ???
4. PROFIT.

Seriously, just stop. You have no idea how you did, I promise.
This is tragic and true. 1L winter break requires a lot of scotch.

Also I am so glad you're still using my avatar.
Who let you out of your cage?

Welcome back, poast moar

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:31 pm

Got bored, decided to say hai to TLS people. Finals makes it more fun to watch 1Ls squirm; winter break usually involves even more non-stop computering than usual, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:52 pm

I was really looking forward to finals being over. Now I realize it may actually be worse just sitting around on break and waiting for the grades to come back than it was studying.

Edit: actually that may not be true. I'll have Skyrim. And skiing.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:44 pm

shock259 wrote:I was really looking forward to finals being over. Now I realize it may actually be worse just sitting around on break and waiting for the grades to come back than it was studying.

Edit: actually that may not be true. I'll have Skyrim. And skiing.
Sames. Plus, one kid in my class hasn't taken any exams. He's sick in the hospital. It kind of puts things into perspective. I'm on here complaining about tests, 46 year old gunners, and crying over what's likely to be a b while one of my section mates is having a tumor removed. Feeling very silly right about now.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:48 pm

To 1Ls: Chill. How you feel your first semester may be totally unrelated to how you did. The exam I felt worst about was my best grade and the one I felt best about was my worst. Mostly, you need to realize that exams freak out everyone during 1L and everyone else had a huge WTF? when they saw the six-page hypo just like you did.

2Ls with jobs: Why do you care? Grades don't even matter anymore, unless you're a clerkship gunner, in which case you already know how to get top grades.

Everyone else: If the lobbying starts now, Obama might include student loan forgiveness in his 2012 campaign platform. You should get to work on that.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:57 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:You have no idea how you did, I promise.
So much this. I literally hit every single mandatory "slot" on the grading curve as a 1L. On my best exam, I didn't even know the meaning of 2 of the 3 questions. On my worst exam, I literally forgot to answer a question. I did not expect either of those to turn out the way they did.

To paraphrase the great Wally Backman: go have a beer, Doc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:Odds are high that I get the beetus during a law school finals period. Could be this semester. I eat nothing but shit during exams. Can't remember the last piece of fruit I ate. Can't even remember the last vegetable I ate that wasn't smothered in sauce/butter/sour cream or stuffed into a giant burrito/sub sandwich/burger.

Also may get some sort of brain tumor from staring at a computer screen/TV for 15 hours a day, but that's another story.
This pretty much sums up my exact situation.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 pm

bk187 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Odds are high that I get the beetus during a law school finals period. Could be this semester. I eat nothing but shit during exams. Can't remember the last piece of fruit I ate. Can't even remember the last vegetable I ate that wasn't smothered in sauce/butter/sour cream or stuffed into a giant burrito/sub sandwich/burger.

This pretty much sums up my exact situation.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:To 1Ls: Chill. How you feel your first semester may be totally unrelated to how you did. The exam I felt worst about was my best grade and the one I felt best about was my worst. Mostly, you need to realize that exams freak out everyone during 1L and everyone else had a huge WTF? when they saw the six-page hypo just like you did.

2Ls with jobs: Why do you care? Grades don't even matter anymore, unless you're a clerkship gunner, in which case you already know how to get top grades.

Everyone else: If the lobbying starts now, Obama might include student loan forgiveness in his 2012 campaign platform. You should get to work on that.
God I hope your joking. We already owe close to $150,000 for every tax payer in this country and now the baby boomers are retiring. How the hell would we pay for that? It would be unjust to those who don't go to college and those who worked throughout college instead of being turd brains and going to a school paying 40,000 a year.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:22 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:To 1Ls: Chill. How you feel your first semester may be totally unrelated to how you did. The exam I felt worst about was my best grade and the one I felt best about was my worst. Mostly, you need to realize that exams freak out everyone during 1L and everyone else had a huge WTF? when they saw the six-page hypo just like you did.

God I hope your you're joking. We already owe close to $150,000 for every tax payer in this country and now the baby boomers are retiring. How the hell would we pay for that? It would be unjust to those who don't go to college and those who worked throughout college instead of being turd brains and going to a school paying 40,000 a year.
Taxes. Although I agree that the moral hazard issue should be accounted for.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:24 pm

PLEASE let this transition into a political discussion. please please please

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:30 pm

I think all the people who say they cried/thought they failed their exam and then got an A aren't really good examples of people who you should use to judge your post exam reaction. Chances are they are the same type of people who got an A- in undergrad and cried too.

I know I did terrible on civ pro - I've never felt subjectively terrible about my performance and then magically ended up with one of the highest grades in the class :roll:

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 pm

Sandro wrote:I think all the people who say they cried/thought they failed their exam and then got an A aren't really good examples of people who you should use to judge your post exam reaction. Chances are they are the same type of people who got an A- in undergrad and cried too.

I know I did terrible on civ pro - I've never felt subjectively terrible about my performance and then magically ended up with one of the highest grades in the class :roll:
Yeah but you never took a law school exam on a strict curve. Feelings mean nothing, unless you just spazz out and don't write anything.

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Now that finals are over I have this creeping sense of dread. In the back of my mind I keep second guessing myself and now am hoping that I passed...where as after the actual exams I felt alright and not to overwhelmed.

I feel nothing right now...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:42 pm

NYC Law wrote:
Sandro wrote:I think all the people who say they cried/thought they failed their exam and then got an A aren't really good examples of people who you should use to judge your post exam reaction. Chances are they are the same type of people who got an A- in undergrad and cried too.

Yeah but you never took a law school exam on a strict curve. Feelings mean nothing, unless you just spazz out and don't write anything.
You cant use that blanket statement to say that your thoughts on how you did mean nothing. My point was that some people's "i think I failed" thoughts are pretty useless considering they would get down on themselves if they got an A-, or missed one issue on a 3 hr exam.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:48 pm

If thoughts of past exams are entering your mind, you're not drinking nearly enough IMO.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Sandro wrote:
NYC Law wrote:

You cant use that blanket statement to say that your thoughts on how you did mean nothing. My point was that some people's "i think I failed" thoughts are pretty useless considering they would get down on themselves if they got an A-, or missed one issue on a 3 hr exam.
That's retarded true.

But I've never been wrong when I felt this way before.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:27 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”