Who else feels like they failed all their finals?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ocplaytime

Who else feels like they failed all their finals?

Postby ocplaytime » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 pm

Put down 3 finals this week and dont feel good about any of them...its pretty synonymous feeling throughout most of the people in my section. Haven't really talked to anyone who killed any test yet...is this a standard 1L feeling?

Extension_Cord

Re: Who else feels like they failed all their finals?

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:26 pm

ocplaytime wrote:Put down 3 finals this week and dont feel good about any of them...its pretty synonymous feeling throughout most of the people in my section. Haven't really talked to anyone who killed any test yet...is this a standard 1L feeling?

i've had 4, I think I got median on all 4.

I'm disappointed.
Last edited by Extension_Cord on Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 pm

If you feel like you killed them I'd be more worried. People who feel that way either did kill it or didn't spot enough issues.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I mean if everyone feels the same in your section then that just means the curve will be low. It generally seems like you can't tell at all how you did from anything due to the curve. What's easy for you is going to be easy for everyone else and everyone will feel like they did great. And vice versa. Just don't stress it and wait to see how you did.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:48 pm

I feel like I've killed both of the ones I've done so far when I walked out. Now I'm starting to worry that I'm not more... worried. :P

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:49 pm

Here are the rules for the period of time after finals and before grades are released:

1. Drink.
2. Feel nothing. Your subconscious will take care of that with the dreams. (You'll see.)
3. ???
4. PROFIT.

Seriously, just stop. You have no idea how you did, I promise.

AlexanderSupertramp

Postby AlexanderSupertramp » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Of the three I've taken this week I feel pretty good. I know I bombed Contracts but our professor is so hard and everyone else also bombed that I think I may be on top of the curve.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:01 pm

My two were meh...I don't feel good about either. I thought I felt good about Torts. We were instructed we were in a Tarasoff jurisdiction and were set up through the fact pattern with a killing type situation and NIED only to have the doctor kill "his" and by "his" it means the patient's wife? My prof had typos on 4/5 of the questions. I stated that I assumed there was a typo and so did many sectionmates but there are a few people in our class, namely some 46 year old who starts more nonsense than anyone, despite being twice the age of everyone else, who keeps running around saying it was a punishment for all type-As. Want to strangle. It might be but still...I dislike typos and the switching of parties. Makes people very nervous. lol. As for crim, lost hope but am steadily regaining. I've heard this is normal for 1Ls. Either, way typos on 4/5 questions is pretty egregious. Its not like this test determines our whole grade or anything....grrr.... /Rant.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:04 pm

alicrimson wrote:My two were meh...I don't feel good about either. I thought I felt good about Torts. We were instructed we were in a Tarasoff jurisdiction and were set up through the fact pattern with a killing type situation and NIED only to have the doctor kill "his" and by "his" it means the patient's wife? My prof had typos on 4/5 of the questions. I stated that I assumed there was a typo and so did many sectionmates but there are a few people in our class, namely some 46 year old who starts more nonsense than anyone, despite being twice the age of everyone else, who keeps running around saying it was a punishment for all type-As. Want to strangle. It might be but still...I dislike typos and the switching of parties. Makes people very nervous. lol. As for crim, lost hope but am steadily regaining. I've heard this is normal for 1Ls. Either, way typos on 4/5 questions is pretty egregious. Its not like this test determines our whole grade or anything....grrr.... /Rant.

That's weak. Seriously stuff like that is really frustrating, especially since i'm guessing it was a proctor and not the professor there to clarify.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:07 pm

ph14 wrote:
alicrimson wrote:My two were meh...I don't feel good about either. I thought I felt good about Torts. We were instructed we were in a Tarasoff jurisdiction and were set up through the fact pattern with a killing type situation and NIED only to have the doctor kill "his" and by "his" it means the patient's wife? My prof had typos on 4/5 of the questions. I stated that I assumed there was a typo and so did many sectionmates but there are a few people in our class, namely some 46 year old who starts more nonsense than anyone, despite being twice the age of everyone else, who keeps running around saying it was a punishment for all type-As. Want to strangle. It might be but still...I dislike typos and the switching of parties. Makes people very nervous. lol. As for crim, lost hope but am steadily regaining. I've heard this is normal for 1Ls. Either, way typos on 4/5 questions is pretty egregious. Its not like this test determines our whole grade or anything....grrr.... /Rant.

That's weak. Seriously stuff like that is really frustrating, especially since i'm guessing it was a proctor and not the professor there to clarify.

Killing situation= patient told doctor he was going to kill his wife. I'm unclear.
Yeah...this was the worst of them but he would mislabel witnesses, change the gender of parties, and then the grandaddy of all of them was this one. I suppose he will just use it to punish type As rather than admit he doesn't proof read his tests. He stated to try and resolve ambiguities but to state any assumption. I'm hoping this and the misleading nature of the test will be worth something. Especially because are we really supposed to talk about battery for 15 points? Uh? What? Silly. Same guy also published his coverpage for the exam to TWEN. He told us it would be the same one as the test. Received the test, word limits were shortened by 200 words. He went to school at Yale. I wonder if this sort of thing happened there? :roll:

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Grizz wrote:If you feel like you killed them I'd be more worried. People who feel that way either did kill it or didn't spot enough issues.

Very true. I cried after Contracts for like 2 days (a bit dramatic, I know). I cried after Civ. Pro. (again, very dramatic). I got an A in Ks and booked Civ. Pro. I thought I killed it in Crim. Law. I got a C-. After three years of law school, I have stopped trying to guess.

In the end, you can get a couple of bad grades and still be top of your class.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Here are the rules for the period of time after finals and before grades are released:

1. Drink.
2. Feel nothing. Your subconscious will take care of that with the dreams. (You'll see.)
3. ??? (no one knows but it's probably just more drinking)
4. PROFIT.

This

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:13 pm

alicrimson wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Killing situation= patient told doctor he was going to kill his wife. I'm unclear.
Yeah...this was the worst of them but he would mislabel witnesses, change the gender of parties, and then the grandaddy of all of them was this one. I suppose he will just use it to punish type As rather than admit he doesn't proof read his tests. He stated to try and resolve ambiguities but to state any assumption. I'm hoping this and the misleading nature of the test will be worth something. Especially because are we really supposed to talk about battery for 15 points? Uh? What? Silly. Same guy also published his coverpage for the exam to TWEN. He told us it would be the same one as the test. Received the test, word limits were shortened by 200 words. He went to school at Yale. I wonder if this sort of thing happened there? :roll:

I feel for you, seems like an all around shitty situation.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:14 pm

Still think I whiffed on contracts, though I'm feeling decent about today's civpro. One more to go (property).

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:16 pm

fathergoose wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Here are the rules for the period of time after finals and before grades are released:

1. Drink.
3. ??? (no one knows but it's probably just more drinking)
4. PROFIT.

This

hahahah! The dreams are the best part. I talk in my sleep and after my first semester of law school, I started yelling at my husband, while asleep, that we can't be friends because we are on the curve together. lol.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:22 pm

I can't remember what I did on my contracts exam today. Not sure if that means it was good or bad, but I figure I can't help it now so I'm going to assume a B (if I'm lucky).

johansantana21

Postby johansantana21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:25 pm

I KNOW I failed.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:02 am

Once you realize that there is literally no way to know how you did until grades come back, you'll feel a bunch better.

blong4133

Postby blong4133 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:52 am

Yeah, you have no way of knowing so try not to worry about it as much. Just relax and worry about your exams. they're done so there's nothing you can do now to make yourself feel any better about them.

My number one suggestion if you need something specific to help you deal with it, just get sloppy drunk and talk to inanimate objects in your inebriated state. Inform then of how intelligent you are, and how you're the most intelligent person engaging in that particular conversation. I prefer discussing current events with pictures of my law school professors. It's a great ego booster.

But seriously, I have never taken a test that I have felt good about. And so far I haven't failed on yet (knock on wood). I've taken 2 finals so far and the first one was evidence, which was pretty dog on difficult. But I just find evidence a little difficult to wrap your mind around with some of the issues.

My second one was professional responsibilities, and I am not lying when i say that was the most difficult/tricky test I've ever taken. The questions/fact patterns themselves were not tricky, but the answer choices gave me fits. I'd read a fact pattern and the question (and they were usually "yes" or "no" answers with reasoning for why it's yes or why it's no. But I'd read the question and say to myself "oh you can't do that, so the answer's no" I'd go to the answer choices, and none of the "no" choices had the right reasoning for why it's not allowed. Almost every question on that test i could narrow down to two possible answers, and it was usually between a yes answer, and a no answer.

I walked out and wanted to shoot myself . But once I got back to my apartment I started calming down and realized that there's nothing i can do.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 am

Listen to me. Listen to me right now and listen good.

Last year, I had a computer malfunction with my ExamSoft program and they could not get my computer up and running properly. I had to hand write the first portion of contracts exam for a good hour or so before someone from the registrar came running in with a laptop. The exam was designed to be a huge time-cruncher, and the handwriting slowed me down significantly. I barely wrote anything for one of the policy questions, and thought there was ZERO chance I'd get above median, and a very good chance I'd be way below (like bottom quarter). I didn't just think I bombed it... I KNEW I bombed it. I called both my girlfriend and Grizz after the exam just fuming mad. I couldn't have been any angrier, and I thought my SA hopes were dead out of the gate.

Ended up with a grade in the top 25% or so of Ks, and my first semester GPA ended up being solid.

Moral of the story: Maybe you failed it, maybe you didn't. But even if you KNOW you failed, you might not have. I know this is hard to do (I couldn't even take this advice last year), but don't think about it, grab a beer, and relax. You'll know your grade when you get it.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:14 am

romothesavior wrote:I didn't just think I bombed it... I KNEW I bombed it. I called both my girlfriend and Grizz after the exam just fuming mad.

Totally harshed my mellow when I was eating my burrito bowl.

mths

Postby mths » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:32 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
ocplaytime wrote:Put down 3 finals this week and dont feel good about any of them...its pretty synonymous feeling throughout most of the people in my section. Haven't really talked to anyone who killed any test yet...is this a standard 1L feeling?

i've had 4, I think I got median on all 4.

I'm disappointed.

2L = praying for median

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:39 am

Grizz wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I didn't just think I bombed it... I KNEW I bombed it. I called both my girlfriend and Grizz after the exam just fuming mad.

For an azn you sure do eat a lot of 'Potle.

TheFutureLawyer

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:56 am

Yeah I'm a slow writer - I got the main glaring issues, but missed most of the more nuanced ones and some defenses (in crim) either b/c I didn't see them (Ks) or just didn't have enough time (Crim - when you see something but don't have time to get more than a single sentence in, you die a little on the inside). I killed the multi choice qs I've had, but I suspect that my classmates did too.

also, this;

Last edited by TheFutureLawyer on Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
Grizz wrote:

For an azn you sure do eat a lot of 'Potle.

Man cannot live on dim sum alone.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”