3L. LOL Studying

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
luthersloan

Re: 3L. LOL Studying

Postby luthersloan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:23 am

As an unemployed 3L it is easy, fear of homelessness has a great way of focusing the mind.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Also checking-in. This year lacks any semblance of practical utility.

Despite having a jerb, I go to the library each day, almost reflexively, to study. When I get there, however, I end up spending almost the entire day on TLS/FB/ATL/etc. This monumental waste of time could certainly have been spent doing more enjoyable things--like not sitting in the bottom tier of a 4-tiered basement that lacks cellular reception and is probably close to the most inner ring of hell. But for some reason, I feel compelled to set-up here each day. Perhaps my looming six-figure debt keeps me coming back? But then again, there's nothing I can do about that, unless I win the lottery. I don't know. No matter what I do, my GPA won't shift from the mean anyway. For now, it's back to FB/TLS/ATL/etc.

zanda

Postby zanda » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:28 pm

luthersloan wrote:As an unemployed 3L it is easy, fear of homelessness has a great way of focusing the mind.

I'm unemployed too, but I can't say I'm terribly motivated. It seems that any success in finding a job will be more due to hustle and networking than it will be the result of maintaining my GPA.

MTal

Postby MTal » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:32 pm

luthersloan wrote:As an unemployed 3L it is easy, fear of homelessness has a great way of focusing the mind.

This is not something that studying will help with. Hustling and networking will do more for you in that regard.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:04 pm

In
MTal wrote:

This is not something that studying will help with. Hustling and networking will do more for you in that regard.[/quote

Generally I would agree with you, but my grades and school are good enough that if I keep my grades where they are I can swing a decent art 3 clerkship or state supreme after a year of doing something else.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:57 pm

betasteve wrote:Figured 3Ls needed a thread, too. I'm not sure I could study under the threat of waterboarding. WTF is this year even for? God dammit.

It's for lining the pockets of law professors. Fucking leeches.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Checking in. Not really able to work hard on these finals for some reason. LOL.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:17 pm

Skyrim's pretty fun, and I've been going to the gym a lot and reading for pleasure (the new Murakami novel, 1Q94, is great). Also watched a lot of breaking bad which was pretty sweet.

I know a few 3Ls who are gunning up a storm and it's hilarious to watch. I mean good for them and I don't want to shit on people too much for not being apathetic, but... I do not understand it.

It's also cute to see the 2Ls go through the growing pains of figuring out they can lay down their burdens.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:18 pm

I have to say, I just took my first final this semester the other day - in a 10 person international tax class with 9 3Ls and an LLM - and I can't remember having seen a more chilled out group of people taking a final. LOL 3L

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

betasteve wrote:And why in the great and holy fuck do you need to take PR and the MPRE?

This is a wonderous question.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
betasteve wrote:And why in the great and holy fuck do you need to take PR and the MPRE?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

dood

Postby dood » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 pm

i went to the clerkship lady she said: "u think u can get A+s from now on?"

me: "ugh....maybe why?"

clerkship lady: "cause u aint clerking for SCOTUS with ur GPA"

so thats my motivation....to get A+s.

in all fairness, every other part of my clerkship app is legit, minus the grades.

dood

Postby dood » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 pm

betasteve wrote:
dood wrote:i went to the clerkship lady she said: "u think u can get A+s from now on?"

me: "ugh....maybe why?"

clerkship lady: "cause u aint clerking for SCOTUS with ur GPA"

so thats my motivation....to get A+s.

in all fairness, every other part of my clerkship app is legit, minus the grades.

Part of me hates you, part of me feels bad for you.

thats cool, part of me hates me too.

lbeezy

Postby lbeezy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:55 pm

betasteve wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:

I want to take my results and slam it down on the table, followed by a "WHAT BITCH?!?!" and then walk out.

Someone claimed I did this 2L year. :lol:

Not MPRE results, just the test in general.

Also -- I took an exam earlier this week in a class I stopped reading for in August. Feel really good about it, actually.

crEEp

Postby crEEp » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:21 am

Isn't there some sort of bar exam or something that we're supposed to worry about in the spring? I see students peddling review courses as if their lives depended on it.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:10 am

I read fewer cases this semester than I did during any given month of 1L (and twwo professors covered the entire casebook).

How could something so wrong make someone feel so good?

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

I thought reading this post would motivate me. Instead it's just encouraging my lack of studying.

and I have five finals. FIVE. and I'm unemployed. I just feel like this time is better spent networking and such (not that anything I've done in the past few days could be considered networking).

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:50 pm

ObLaDiObLaDa wrote:I thought reading this post would motivate me. Instead it's just encouraging my lack of studying.

and I have five finals. FIVE. and I'm unemployed. I just feel like this time is better spent networking and such (not that anything I've done in the past few days could be considered networking).

If employed --> LOL grades
If not employed --> GPA already pretty set, ipso facto, LOL grades

ObLaDiObLaDa

Postby ObLaDiObLaDa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:If employed --> LOL grades
If not employed --> GPA already pretty set, ipso facto, LOL grades

Ugh I know, right? As long as I don't get any C's or B-'s, my grades won't budge. Most of my classes are on the larger side, so realistically there have to be at least a few students in there less motivated than me who can fill those C and B- slots for me.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:33 pm

4 classes down, 1 to go. Unfortunately my schedule included 4 amazingly slackerifick courses and securities regulation, so I am in the unenviable position of needing to learn some law. Fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:28 pm

Stopping in to visit my esteemed colleagues in this thread.

What Prez said = order of the day, though I am uncharacteristically pissed at being made to take corporations. Seriously, is this required at any other school? I am trying and very much failing to care about whether some company breached its Revlon duties.

On the other hand, designing invites for my school's public service auction = highly awesome. Also planning a trip to LA and prepping to work at housing court in the spring.

<3 and luck to all.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:21 am

If only we were studying this. Le sigh.

Corporations.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:49 am

Opera,

I remember you from like 3 years ago on TLS, what do you have lined up after graduation?

If you aren't comfortable telling me you can just PM me.

Or if you don't want to tell me you can just say F off.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:14 am

OperaSoprano wrote:Stopping in to visit my esteemed colleagues in this thread.

What Prez said = order of the day, though I am uncharacteristically pissed at being made to take corporations. Seriously, is this required at any other school? I am trying and very much failing to care about whether some company breached its Revlon duties.

On the other hand, designing invites for my school's public service auction = highly awesome. Also planning a trip to LA and prepping to work at housing court in the spring.

<3 and luck to all.

My school requires business associations. Then again, I go to a T3 where they pretty much require every course the bar tests on in order to up their bar passage rate.

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:23 am

zomginternets wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:Stopping in to visit my esteemed colleagues in this thread.

<3 and luck to all.

My school requires business associations. Then again, I go to a T3 where they pretty much require every course the bar tests on in order to up their bar passage rate.

ehh, at the rate I'm going, it's not going to help my school much. :lol: I just think it's an odd thing to require, since Trusts & Estates and Evidence are not also required here. Wishing you good luck!

And Jaws, PM sent. My future is not yet set, though will certainly be public service.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”