Crim Pro Question- 6th Amendment Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Crim Pro Question- 6th Amendment

Post by romothesavior » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Hey, this may be a silly question, but I can't figure it out from my notes/outline/supplements.

I know that the 6th Amendment attaches at the onset of the prosecution, i.e. the indictment. However, is this something that must be actively asserted by the defendant? For example, let's say a defendant is arrested, taken into custody, and charged. He then signs a Miranda waiver, and he gives a confession to the crime without consulting with his lawyer. I know his Miranda rights have been waived, but does his failure to assert a desire for counsel bar a 6th Amendment claim? Or does he have a claim because police should not have questioned him without his lawyer after they charged him?

zomginternets

Silver

Re: Crim Pro Question- 6th Amendment

Post by zomginternets » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am

6A right to counsel is automatic and must be waived before questioning (i.e. no need to specifically invoke first). However, if the PO reads you a Miranda warning and you sign a waiver, this is sufficient to have knowingly waived your 6A rights as well. See Patterson v. Illinois.
Last edited by zomginternets on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:03 am

So, a suspect is entitled to assistance of counsel when: (1) criminal adversarial proceedings have commenced (Rothgery); (2) the encounter is a critical stage (Brewer); and (3) the sentence carries with it a term of imprisonment (Argersinger/Scott). Under Patterson, waiver of Miranda is sufficient to waive the 6A right to counsel. The waiver still needs to be knowing, intelligent, and voluntary.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:18 am

I don't remember Patterson, although the name sounds familiar. Looks like it covers what I was looking for. I figured that had to be right, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”