Burnt. Out. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lisjjen

Silver

Burnt. Out.

Post by lisjjen » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:50 pm

How burnt out? I'm posting on TLS again for the first time in months. I have hit a wall and I have a Property final tomorrow at 1:30. The test is 1/2 estates and future interests and 1/2 straight policy questions so I have to know a million little rules AND come ready for an in depth policy discussion. My head is swimming. I don't care anymore.

Actually, I care enough to want to care, but I'm tapped out. What do I do?

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Re: Burnt. Out.

Post by StyrofoamWar » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm

lisjjen wrote:How burnt out? I'm posting on TLS again for the first time in months. I have hit a wall and I have a Property final tomorrow at 1:30. The test is 1/2 estates and future interests and 1/2 straight policy questions so I have to know a million little rules AND come ready for an in depth policy discussion. My head is swimming. I don't care anymore.

Take an hour. Go for a run. Clear your head. Eat a good lunch/snack. Then come back to it. You're so close to being done. Give yourself a little time to recharge (couple hours or so) and then come back to it for the rest of the day. Get a good night sleep, get up a little early, have a nice cup of coffee and keep at it for a few more hours.

EVERYBODY'S heads are swimming, especially in an archaic class like Property. Deep breath, relax, then keep going. You'll be done before you know it, and you'll be more frustrated at yourself if you sit there and freak out and aren't productive than you will be if you lose a couple hours now in order to get your mind right.

Law school's largely mental. Good luck!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:02 pm

I am in the same position. I just want to give up. My Torts exam is tomorrow, and I know that I am going to do below median, and lose my scholly.

At this point I am looking at the prerequisite requirements for pharmacy schools. I should've gone there in the first place. $80-100K a year, and guaranteed job upon graduation.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:43 pm

The key to not burning out is pacing yourself througout the semester and not working too hard. Some law students, especially 1Ls, work too hard. Law school (excluding activities like Law review/journals that 1Ls don't deal with) should be less work than a full time job (other the the last couple of weeks of each semester....maybe the last month).

Right now it is too late to fix what you did earlier in the semester. It is not too late to fix what you do now though. Pace yourself. Take breaks. For instance, I take the day of my final off (if morning final, I take the afternoon/evening off). I also study for a couple of hours and then take a break (go for a run, watch netflix, etc). Do something lightweight and relaxing, but keep your entertainment during finals week non-challenging (e.g. I love playing video games, but I avoid them around finals because they can be draining...while a 30 minute or hour of netflix is more refreshing).

Remember that most 1Ls are in your position. Many don't know how they did. Many think they bombed some of their finals. In fact, I thought I bombed torts but I later learnt I booked the class. Relax and have some fun. You have to study hard now, but you also need some breaks.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:51 pm

random5483 wrote:The key to not burning out is pacing yourself througout the semester and not working too hard. Some law students, especially 1Ls, work too hard. Law school (excluding activities like Law review/journals that 1Ls don't deal with) should be less work than a full time job (other the the last couple of weeks of each semester....maybe the last month).

Right now it is too late to fix what you did earlier in the semester. It is not too late to fix what you do now though. Pace yourself. Take breaks. For instance, I take the day of my final off (if morning final, I take the afternoon/evening off). I also study for a couple of hours and then take a break (go for a run, watch netflix, etc). Do something lightweight and relaxing, but keep your entertainment during finals week non-challenging (e.g. I love playing video games, but I avoid them around finals because they can be draining...while a 30 minute or hour of netflix is more refreshing).

Remember that most 1Ls are in your position. Many don't know how they did. Many think they bombed some of their finals. In fact, I thought I bombed torts but I later learnt I booked the class. Relax and have some fun. You have to study hard now, but you also need some breaks.
i don't understand hwo you could think you failed a class and ended up with the highest grade. did this actually happen?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
random5483 wrote:The key to not burning out is pacing yourself througout the semester and not working too hard. Some law students, especially 1Ls, work too hard. Law school (excluding activities like Law review/journals that 1Ls don't deal with) should be less work than a full time job (other the the last couple of weeks of each semester....maybe the last month).

i don't understand hwo you could think you failed a class and ended up with the highest grade. did this actually happen?

I have talked to several students in the top of their class who related similar stories. The people who thought they did well were the ones who were shocked and disappointed when grades came out, while the ones who thought they did awful were pleasantly surprised.

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:09 am

c3pO4 wrote:

Yes. I totally thought I flunked a final and I booked it. However, I booked another final that I thought I really kicked ass on. It goes both ways. Don't put too much stock into your feelings about an exam after it's over. Best to go grab a beer, relax, and move forward.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:26 am

LOL at thinking about the exam after it's over.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 am

I'm already planning tomorrow's post-contracts shot-taking lunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 am

My eyes are starting to burn after the amount of time I've spent studying/outlining on my computer over the past 3 weeks.

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:41 am

piccolittle wrote:I'm already planning tomorrow's post-contracts shot-taking lunch.
This.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:36 am

c3pO4 wrote:

It happens, especially in essay exams. My torts exam was extremely hard (yes I know, most torts classes are easy). Our professor was very unclear and never put things together. Not to mention there were too many issues to address in the time given. Basically, I knew I had not addressed a lot of things. I did not expect to fail the class, but I was pretty sure I would score below median. In a similar vein, I was sure I had aced my first semester contracts final. I did manage an A in the class due to a very strong multiple choice score, but my essay score was weaker (roughly B+/A- range).

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:15 am

c3pO4 wrote:i don't understand hwo you could think you failed a class and ended up with the highest grade. did this actually happen?
On exams where you have a median score of 20-30% it seems quite possible that the high score could be in the 40-50% range and the person who wrote it felt like they failed walking out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:36 am

Calm down, take a break, and then work through examples. It's really not that much information so you should be able to work through a ton of examples. If you think FI/estates is a million rules, wait until secured transactions/tax.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:38 am

blowhard wrote:Calm down, take a break, and then work through examples. It's really not that much information so you should be able to work through a ton of examples. If you think FI/estates is a million rules, wait until secured transactions/tax.
Property Q, can someone explain the practical differences if something is decided to be a future interest versus a covenant?

Covenants can be struck down for more reasons I guess but I'm not quite sure what else the practical effect is?

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:29 pm

ph14 wrote:
blowhard wrote:Calm down, take a break, and then work through examples. It's really not that much information so you should be able to work through a ton of examples. If you think FI/estates is a million rules, wait until secured transactions/tax.
Property Q, can someone explain the practical differences if something is decided to be a future interest versus a covenant?

Covenants can be struck down for more reasons I guess but I'm not quite sure what else the practical effect is?
You mean like an FI like if a condition occurs ownership is divested? My house has covenants...I can't repaint my front door without permission. If I violate, I get fined and have to pay to fix. I don't lose ownership of my house. Having an FI severely undermines the value of the property and can present title insurance problems. Also, as provided in the covenants, the homeowners association can vote and alter the covenants after I own the property.

Their is some overlap...both could restrain me from selling alcohol for instance. But, the covenant can be altered if it so provides. Violating it gives rise to fines/injunctions but not loss of ownership. For example, if my tenants sells alcohol and an FI prevents, I automatically lose title...even if the violation is accidental. With a covenant, I get fined. Can you see why the value of the title would be different?

Other than that I don't know, we barely covered covenants.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Be thankful that Property is no longer a year-long course.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Burnt. Out.
Good. Good.
--ImageRemoved--

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:19 pm

it'll be over son! Just bear down and knock it out!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 pm

i'm burnt out, too. didn't factor in the cold weather either. cold weather makes my brain/dick shrivel.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:02 pm

lisjjen wrote:How burnt out? I'm posting on TLS again for the first time in months. I have hit a wall and I have a Property final tomorrow at 1:30. The test is 1/2 estates and future interests and 1/2 straight policy questions so I have to know a million little rules AND come ready for an in depth policy discussion. My head is swimming. I don't care anymore.

Been there, young grasshopper. Do something on your own to get your mind off it (don't go drinking or something). You're between rounds at the end of a fight, shake it out and get ready to go again.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:05 pm

Give up, friends. You'll never make it to Tuesday; the bus doesn't go there anymore.

For serious: Some people will tell you to get lots of rest or take your mind off of studying for a while. I recommend ignoring sleep, chain smoking, and procrastinating.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”