All-nighter?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
VincentChase

All-nighter?

Postby VincentChase » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:06 pm

Wondering how many people have pulled an all-nighter for a law school exam, and what you think the value in it is? I have a one-night turnaround from one brutal exam to a second exam. Then I'm done for the semester other than a paper I don't have to crank up until next week.

Thoughts? Experiences? I usually am a 6-7 hours of sleep a night guy, but I don't know if that cuts for (because I have some reserve in the tank) or against me (because I'm not used to going on little sleep).

Exam is at 2.

Sandro

Re: All-nighter?

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 pm

If the test is basically a material dump, like torts, I think it certainly helped pulling an all nighter. Just sleep a little bit. From going over the material a bunch and writing stuff out I definitely remembered some cases/arguments that I wouldnt have simply from just sleeping.

Some people will say no, just depends on the person/exam.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:10 pm

If your exam is at 2, do not pull an allnighter. DO NOT. Go to bed at midnight, wake up at 6 or 7. Preferably 7. Study until the test.

Edit: There is a big difference between pulling an allnighter for an 8am exam and a 2pm exam. 2pm exam your brain needs to be functioning at its highest until 5pm.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 pm

eandy wrote:If your exam is at 2, do not pull an allnighter. DO NOT. Go to bed at midnight, wake up at 6 or 7. Preferably 7. Study until the test.

Edit: There is a big difference between pulling an allnighter for an 8am exam and a 2pm exam. 2pm exam your brain needs to be functioning at its highest until 5pm.

Oh yea. 2pm is different. By the time 2pm pulls around I am ready to just pass out in an alleway on the way home.

2pm bad, 8am - maybe.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:19 pm

I see no benefit in all nighters. I tend to crystalize things after I've slept for a while, not by running a study marathon until the test.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 pm

VincentChase wrote:Wondering how many people have pulled an all-nighter for a law school exam, and what you think the value in it is? I have a one-night turnaround from one brutal exam to a second exam. Then I'm done for the semester other than a paper I don't have to crank up until next week.

Thoughts? Experiences? I usually am a 6-7 hours of sleep a night guy, but I don't know if that cuts for (because I have some reserve in the tank) or against me (because I'm not used to going on little sleep).

Exam is at 2.

How badly do you need to study? If you don't know wtf is going on, you gotta pull that all nighter. If you have a good grasp and are just trying for perfection, get the sleep.

Also, I don't think 2pm is worse than 8am. In my experience, once morning passes you'll get a second wind. You'll still suffer from lack fo sleep, but it won't take a huge mental toll. The hardest part of pulling an all nighter is the hours 22-30.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
VincentChase wrote:Wondering how many people have pulled an all-nighter for a law school exam, and what you think the value in it is? I have a one-night turnaround from one brutal exam to a second exam. Then I'm done for the semester other than a paper I don't have to crank up until next week.

Exam is at 2.

How badly do you need to study? If you don't know wtf is going on, you gotta pull that all nighter. If you have a good grasp and are just trying for perfection, get the sleep.

Also, I don't think 2pm is worse than 8am. In my experience, once morning passes you'll get a second wind. You'll still suffer from lack fo sleep, but it won't take a huge mental toll. The hardest part of pulling an all nighter is the hours 22-30.

I definitely need to cram. I mean, I kept up throughout the quarter, but the quarter system doesn't leave you much room to outline or inventory during the course of the quarter, you know? (Or maybe you don't.) There is a portion of the exam that is going to be closed-book, with him actually asking things that have to do with case names and such, so I suspect that I do need to do some info cramming.

I tend to agree with you - the hardest part of an all-nighter, in my opinion (or just short rest), is probably from about 3 until about 7-9. I am thinking the adrenaline or caffeine might get me through.

Hmmmm ... keep the thoughts coming. I appreciate it. Also gives me something to come back to during my little study interludes. :)

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Never pulled an all-nighter. Not in college, not in LS, nevar. Time management skillz, ftw.

I agree with DF generally, however. GL!
Last edited by Big Shrimpin on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:29 pm

You might feel ok at 3pm the next day but your brain's ability to recall information is going to blow.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:32 pm

I have pulled all nighters before 90% of my exams and I have almost always done well. The only time it effected me was when I basically do not sleep for 2 days and had two exams in that period, the second exam was worse.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 pm

I have pulled all-nighters doing papers in college and did fantastic but I would never pull an all-nighter before an exam. Recall is much better when you study and go to bed than when you try to study through. Something about the subconscious being activated are some shit. Obviously law school exams are not straight recall but you will remember more information to apply on the test after sleep. Honestly, if you have not done the required preparation, how much will last minute cramming help? You learn best by studying and restudying material over a lengthened period of time, not by trying to learn shit hours before an exam.

Just my opinion and what has worked for me. Time management is key. I procrastinated like a motherfucker in college but realized that wasn't going to fly in lawl school.

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Honestly, if you have not done the required preparation, how much will last minute cramming help? You learn best by studying and restudying material over a lengthened period of time, not by trying to learn shit hours before an exam.

Just my opinion and what has worked for me. Time management is key. I procrastinated like a motherfucker in college but realized that wasn't going to fly in lawl school.

For the record, and I'm not trying to challenge you or be argumentative, but I want to clarify, I haven't not prepared or anything. I had a killer exam today on the first day of the exam period, and have to turn around and take another one the next day. Just the way the schedule fell. I read everything and kept up and have even done a little studying just to get a sense of where I'm at. Just one of those killer quarters. I thought they weren't supposed to happen in 3L!

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:44 pm

VincentChase wrote:I thought they weren't supposed to happen in 3L!

Do you not have a job lined up? If you do, what are you worried about?

VincentChase

Postby VincentChase » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:

(1) Honors gunning.
(2) Not completely humiliating myself and wrecking my GPA!

P.S. And when did my wife get an account here? :)

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:47 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:I see no benefit in all nighters. I tend to crystalize things after I've slept for a while, not by running a study marathon until the test.

But while you sleep your competitors make huge strides in study and prepare to ace exam!!

@OP: all-nighter before an afternoon exam would be loco.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 pm

I am amazed people can sleep the night before an exam, I am generally losing my shit.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:52 pm

I'm completely against this but I know some people who do it. Personally I think my grade would suffer. I will sleep 4-5 hours the days before an exam and try to sleep 6+ the night of.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 pm

If the exam is first thing in the morning, then I can get by with just a few (maybe 4 or so) hours of sleep (would never push it so far as to stay up all night though). Those few hours at least give you enough to get through the first few hours of the day, and when you combine that with the adrenaline rush of the exam, it should be fine. But if its an afternoon exam, then no way.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:55 pm

luthersloan wrote:I am amazed people can sleep the night before an exam, I am generally losing my shit.

Sleeping pills FTW

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:58 pm

depends; if I've gotten plenty of sleep the previous two nights (8-10 hours), then for sure on the all-nighter. Hit the gym at 6am to get the blood flowing, boom. It's a personal approach though, do you usually handle one all-nighter OK? If not, don't do it on exam night.

Big Shrimpin

Postby Big Shrimpin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:59 pm

VincentChase wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:

(1) Honors gunning.

Ugh, overrated, especially if you've got a jerb lined-up.

luthersloan

Postby luthersloan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

yeah bro, throw the exam so someone who does not have a job can get the honors.

dreakol

Postby dreakol » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

tyft

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:How badly do you need to study? If you don't know wtf is going on, you gotta pull that all nighter. If you have a good grasp and are just trying for perfection, get the sleep.

+1

thescienceguy

Postby thescienceguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:39 pm

I had to pull all-nighters before every single one of my exams 1L year because I was a lazy mofo and needed the time to cram. Afternoon exams were so brutal. My vision was blurry, I couldn't think clearly and I had to keep re-reading the question. I even took a little nap in the middle of crim law. Would not do again.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”