looking around the library and.. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Gold

looking around the library and..

Post by goosey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 pm

how do people study with headphones on?! i am assuming theyre listening to music..how can you concentrate?!

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Re: looking around the library and..

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:40 pm

goosey wrote:how do people study with headphones on?! i am assuming theyre listening to music..how can you concentrate?!
i'm still a 0L (matriculating into UVa), but I studied for the LSAT while listening to sports talk radio, because all of the opinions stated left and right got my critical analysis off the ground and because it was so boring, and the radio was my way or rewarding myself for studying after general tso's chicken influenced my workout routine.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:42 pm

I can't study without them now. I don't listen to anything with words though. Mostly classical or elevator type music. This medical student created this youtube page that's pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/StudyMusicP ... ture=watch

Or pandora a group called Bahlmorhea.
Last edited by Mce252 on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:43 pm

I'd rather have good background noise instead of listening to some asshat 1L crunching on his Fritos while "whispering" for 20 minutes with another 1L about the RAP.

You get used to the music after awhile.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:44 pm

And it keeps people from talking to you. If they do, you just pretend you can't hear anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:47 pm

If there is the slightest bit of noise, whether it be music in the background, TV on, people chatting, etc. the words on the page don't register in my mind. I have to read the same line 10 times to actually remember it. I also have this habit of grabbing for my phone or logging onto facebook, TLS etc. compulsively whenever there is the slightest lull in my train of thought, as if it were subconscious. Makes me think I have some untreated attention disorder or something

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Music without words.

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:54 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:
goosey wrote:how do people study with headphones on?! i am assuming theyre listening to music..how can you concentrate?!
i'm still a 0L (matriculating into UVa), but I studied for the LSAT while listening to sports talk radio, because all of the opinions stated left and right got my critical analysis off the ground

Sorry, but sportscasters arguing about whether the Yankees are the best team of the decade or the best team in history is not arguing left and right.

And to OP, they're all watching youtube videos.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:59 pm

MBZags wrote:I'd rather have good background noise instead of listening to some asshat 1L crunching on his Fritos while "whispering" for 20 minutes with another 1L about the RAP.

You get used to the music after awhile.
That's why I started using listening to music while studying.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kevin261186

Bronze

Post by kevin261186 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyrULAf ... 229C1135E3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvloMFBffn4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZsU8elXrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDqalVWeSk

This is a selection of my favourite songs in the "post rock" genre. I barely listen to anything else any more.

Hope this helps.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:15 pm

wtf? i've listened to music (with words, etc.) all my life while studying. figure out how to read while listening to music, or don't, but quit looking around other ppl at the library and thinking about ways that they suck

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:18 pm

kaiser wrote:If there is the slightest bit of noise, whether it be music in the background, TV on, people chatting, etc. the words on the page don't register in my mind. I have to read the same line 10 times to actually remember it. I also have this habit of grabbing for my phone or logging onto facebook, TLS etc. compulsively whenever there is the slightest lull in my train of thought, as if it were subconscious. Makes me think I have some untreated attention disorder or something

i am the exact opposite. I like studying in the cafeteria because of the background noise...trying to cut it out helps me be more focused on what im reading. if i try reading in dead silence, I have to read it repeatedly to understand what I read. That said, if there were music, my brain would start focusing on that instead. random life noise is good for my studying, rhytmic music and/or lyrics--not so much.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:20 pm

I never study in the library because I don't even have headphones loud enough to block out all the noise people make.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:30 pm

I play classical music at a low volume. Puts me in the studying mindset, and also makes me feel kind of refined and elitist, which I can only assume is the proper mindset for preparing to ace finals and jump on that Biglaw bandwagon.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:32 pm

beachbum wrote:I play classical music at a low volume. Puts me in the studying mindset, and also makes me feel kind of refined and elitist, which I can only assume is the proper mindset for preparing to ace finals and jump on that Biglaw bandwagon.

this post is so beautifully in line with your avatar

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:35 pm

Online white noise generator.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:44 pm

beachbum wrote:I play classical music at a low volume. Puts me in the studying mindset, and also makes me feel kind of refined and elitist, which I can only assume is the proper mindset for preparing to ace finals and jump on that Biglaw bandwagon.
i actually think some people listen to classical music bc it makes them feel elitist/refined.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I cannot study without music (with words) unless there is dead silence. People chewing, sniffing, phones vibrating on the desks, people sighing constantly like their life is so hard, is what kills me. It completely breaks my concentration.

OnlyRkNRollButILkeIt

New

Post by OnlyRkNRollButILkeIt » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:01 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Online white noise generator.
You've just revolutionized my studying.

OklahomasOK

Bronze

Post by OklahomasOK » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:11 pm

I mostly use to avoid talking to others and use classical for white noise. Although closer to exams I use earplugs to simulate exam conditions.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Mce252 wrote:I can't study without them now. I don't listen to anything with words though. Mostly classical or elevator type music. This medical student created this youtube page that's pretty sweet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/StudyMusicP ... ture=watch

Or pandora a group called Bahlmorhea.
x2 on the "no lyrics" classical music (I love piano music).

also, the other poster was right on about drowning out the asshat 1L who inevitably effs up the scene for everyone studying. Hint: if you notice multiple people slipping on headphones or sliding the volume dial up while you're being loud around them, you're that person.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:04 pm

Mike12188 wrote:I cannot study without music (with words) unless there is dead silence. People chewing, sniffing, phones vibrating on the desks, people sighing constantly like their life is so hard, is what kills me. It completely breaks my concentration.
hahahah, WTF IS IT WITH THE "SUPER-LOUD SIGH" PEOPLE??!!!? I'm sitting right next to you. I stare at you for a prolonged period each time you do it. I"M IN THE SAME DAMN BOAT AS YOU, DO YOU SEE ME SIGHING LIKE A LITTLE WITCH? Nah. And you don't need to either.

Pretzel_Logic

Platinum

Post by Pretzel_Logic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I've always studied with music on...I can't study in silence, tbh. I get too distracted by breathing noises and heartbeats and junk.

This finals period I've been listening to dubstep like it's my job, and right now (well obviously not right this second) I'm studying secured transactions with the Simpsons on in the background.

I don't have good enough headphones to block out everyone else's annoying noises in the library so I never study at school. Ever.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:06 pm

I find this helps absorb the material I'm reading, procedure in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhdIcb84Hw

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:31 pm

I love music, but i can't study for law school while having headphones on. I dislike the library as well and I rent an apartment I live in alone, so it serves as a good place to study.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”