anyone done well only writing 2200 words/ hour? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
fathergoose

Silver

Re: anyone done well only writing 2200 words/ hour?

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:40 pm

charliep wrote:cool. so the range seems to be 350 to 10,000. noted
oh law school. such a crapshoot

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:56 pm

fathergoose wrote:
OL here. super confusion. :shock: :arrow: :?:

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:10 pm

cubbiesyear wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
That confusion will last well into your 2L year.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Then the I don't give a damn kicks in.

cubbiesyear

Bronze

Post by cubbiesyear » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 pm

fathergoose wrote:
cubbiesyear wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
That confusion will last well into your 2L year.
haha great. I just thought I'd read before that sufficient length for answers was 2500ish words. And now I'm reading 5000+. It just seems like a lot to type in a few hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jess

Post by jess » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:25 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm

cubbiesyear wrote:haha great. I just thought I'd read before that sufficient length for answers was 2500ish words. And now I'm reading 5000+. It just seems like a lot to type in a few hours.
Your threshold for what you think is a lot of writing flies right out the window 1L year. As a business ug major, I never wrote much before law school but now the thought of typing 1500-2000 words an hour on an exam seems entirely normal.

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:28 pm

I honestly feel like this is professor dependent. In two of my classes the top exams from last year were all about 4000- 4500 words total

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:29 pm

I think it depends alot on the exam and professor and test and everyone of the million of factors that make such a general question as the one you asked ridiculous. But I understand that this question arises from your exam anxiety so I will just say 4,000 words is more than sufficient to do well on an exam.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ty Webb

Silver

Post by Ty Webb » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:35 pm

Typed 8800 words in 2.5 hours on my Torts final last year. Got an A.

Typed 12,000 words in 4 hours on my Con Law final last year. Got a B.

Typed 8500 words in 3 hours on my Ks final last year. Got an A.

Typed 9000 words in 3 hours on my Crim Law final last year. Got a B+.

I think it helped me in the classes where it helped me. I don't think typing a lot was the cause of either of the poorer grades (did well on some of the questions that were longer). I think it's dependent upon the professor as others have noted.

Also: it's more important to think fast than to type fast. I've done a lot of writing, so I can think about as fast I can physically type. Typing speed is overrated. Ability to just put your mind in 5th gear for 3 hours is underrated.

lawschool1234567

New

Post by lawschool1234567 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:44 pm

ph14 wrote:I think it depends alot on the exam and professor and test and everyone of the million of factors that make such a general question as the one you asked ridiculous. But I understand that this question arises from your exam anxiety so I will just say 4,000 words is more than sufficient to do well on an exam.
thank you. and thanks to everyone who provided their experiences. i'm not trying to be a douche TLS poster, I'm trying to compare my experience with others -- especially since I have more exams and I wanted to figure out if I need to change my approach. And yes, I am suffering from exam anxiety and i don't really want to talk about it with my classmates.

dabomb75

Bronze

Post by dabomb75 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 am

Ty Webb wrote:Typed 8800 words in 2.5 hours on my Torts final last year. Got an A.

Typed 12,000 words in 4 hours on my Con Law final last year. Got a B.

Typed 8500 words in 3 hours on my Ks final last year. Got an A.

Typed 9000 words in 3 hours on my Crim Law final last year. Got a B+.

I think it helped me in the classes where it helped me. I don't think typing a lot was the cause of either of the poorer grades (did well on some of the questions that were longer). I think it's dependent upon the professor as others have noted.

Also: it's more important to think fast than to type fast. I've done a lot of writing, so I can think about as fast I can physically type. Typing speed is overrated. Ability to just put your mind in 5th gear for 3 hours is underrated.
This. I can type somewhere between 70-80 words/hr, but I'm only busting out 1200-1500 words/hr right now. Kinda worried. But it's increasing every practice test I take, so hopefully it's just from me learning the material better and better that this is happening from.

As far as my professors this semester:

model answers for one of my prof's exams so far have been: 4500, 4700, 7200, and 3800 words for a 3-3.5 hour exam

Other prof said his exams have word limits, probably going to be 2500-3000 for a 2 hour issue spotter

Torts prof said that he thinks we should spend 1.5-2 hours of the 4 hours he gives us, and there really aren't that many issues on his practice tests, so I don't think a huge amount of words is going to be much of a boon.

Only exam I think it will help is for my property prof, who seems to do a classic issue spotter exam, time crunch and all. In that class, I think just knowing the material down cold is the difference between a B and an A because of just being able to regurgitate more info on to the paper by knowing the material better. So typing a lot will probably be a factor in this class

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:08 am

i got an A- on an exam that I wrote 2800 words on [it had multiple choice first half though...so it wasnt a 3 hour essay..prob 110 min essay]

i think 6k-7k is solid but probably 8k of quality will get an A.

my fam law exam has 2700 word limit :shock: he literally just wants you to answer whats there..none of that "every fact is there for a reason stuff"---no reading into things. the issue are there right in front of you..and thats it. oddly enough, thsi should be the easiest exam I ever take but I feel like it will be th ehardest because I am so conditioned to be on the defense with fact patterns trying to hide hidden issues and on thsi exam, if you try finding hidden issues you are screwed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:16 am

FWIW, none of the model answers i've seen are past about 4500-5000 words. Admittedly a small sample size though.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 am

i thin 5k is pretty good for a 3 hr exam. I noticed that the more I write, the higher grade i tend to get.

THe reason why the model answer is 4k is because they spotted the same issues as the professor. Some people are able to write 3k and also get an A. Those people seem to be able to zero in on the issues that the professor wants. Most professors have a rubric. If you spot x issue and apply it you get x pts. If you spot something that isnt on the list, he will generally not give you any pts.

I like the dump and apply style where you bring up every issue possible and apply it. AKA shotgun approach. There is less risk involved if you bring up more issues. You never know what theprofessor is thinking. Ive calied 2 classes and for those 2 3 hr exams i wrote 8-9k words in 3hrs.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:02 pm

goosey wrote:i got an A- on an exam that I wrote 2800 words on [it had multiple choice first half though...so it wasnt a 3 hour essay..prob 110 min essay]

my fam law exam has 2700 word limit :shock: he literally just wants you to answer whats there..none of that "every fact is there for a reason stuff"---no reading into things. the issue are there right in front of you..and thats it. oddly enough, thsi should be the easiest exam I ever take but I feel like it will be th ehardest because I am so conditioned to be on the defense with fact patterns trying to hide hidden issues and on thsi exam, if you try finding hidden issues you are screwed
I have the same thing for contracts. We have a multiple choice section, an essay with a 1,050 word limit, and another essay with a 600 word limit. Anybody have any tips for exams with word limits? I'm assuming you're just supposed to not look too deep into the question and simply answer what's there right in front of you.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:19 pm

ph14 wrote:I think it depends alot on the exam and professor and test and everyone of the million of factors that make such a general question as the one you asked ridiculous. But I understand that this question arises from your exam anxiety so I will just say 4,000 words is more than sufficient to do well on an exam.

I think so too. It really depends on the prof. On some big open-ended, who can sue who question some big 10,000 word monster may be the ticket. Some profs have word limits. I know my torts teacher says he doesn't give a F*ck about rule statements but that he will dock you for going over word limit. There were 2 parts on last year's torts exam. One with three questions and one with two. The three had a 900 limit Q1, 600 Q2, and 250 Q3. Part two Q 4 500 and Q 5 700. SHORT. I think he's just making it easy on himself. I can't really blame the guy though because if you can address what he wants addressed, short is best. He also docks points for over-long answers. Sad days.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:20 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
goosey wrote:i got an A- on an exam that I wrote 2800 words on [it had multiple choice first half though...so it wasnt a 3 hour essay..prob 110 min essay]

I have the same thing for contracts. We have a multiple choice section, an essay with a 1,050 word limit, and another essay with a 600 word limit. Anybody have any tips for exams with word limits? I'm assuming you're just supposed to not look too deep into the question and simply answer what's there right in front of you.
Ask if he wants a rule statement. My torts prof has some brutal word limits and he says (and I've confirmed with the model answers for the past four years) that he just wants you to get to the point and slam facts where the rule should be. Granted, this is a closed-book exam but still...I would ask your prof for help on this.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:08 pm

i just wrote 3.5k-4k for a 2.5 hr exam, feelin' OK about it. some prof's like clarity and conciseness more than verboseness.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”