What is life like as a 2L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
StyrofoamWar

Re: What is life like as a 2L?

Postby StyrofoamWar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:09 pm

Veyron wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
MrAnon wrote:People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life.

Lolno. Even after getting an SA, journal made this semester terrible. And I'm not really worried about being no-offered due to the massive drop my GPA is about to take, but I'm sort of worried. 2l year is worse than 1l for everybody

Not ... even ... close.

yeah, 2L is pretty chill compared to 1L. I don't think I'm going to fail out every day. However, there's a decent chance that's half the problem, seeing as how I have a final tomorrow and I'm on TLS...

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:00 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Lolno. Even after getting an SA, journal made this semester terrible. And I'm not really worried about being no-offered due to the massive drop my GPA is about to take, but I'm sort of worried. 2l year is worse than 1l for everybody

Not ... even ... close.

yeah, 2L is pretty chill compared to 1L. I don't think I'm going to fail out every day. However, there's a decent chance that's half the problem, seeing as how I have a final tomorrow and I'm on TLS...

aside from the constant worry that plagues every moment of every day until you find employment, 2L isn't bad at all. i do miss the "rush" of 1L, though.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:03 pm

Veyron wrote:

Not ... even ... close.
Cannot even begin to emphasize this enough.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:04 pm

Guess I was wrong on that. :lol: let me clarify - 2l is totally miserable for at least one person even with a job

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:15 pm

i miss 1L.

and i cried once a week during 1L due to stress/being lonely [not hanging out w my friends or fam bc I was always studying]

2L was way less stressful and i was much much happier. but my god the work will kill you and it is a miserable experience.

1L is self inflicted misery...2L is misery imposed on you from law school.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:29 pm

goosey wrote:i miss 1L.

and i cried once a week during 1L due to stress/being lonely [not hanging out w my friends or fam bc I was always studying]

2L was way less stressful and i was much much happier. but my god the work will kill you and it is a miserable experience.

1L is self inflicted misery...2L is misery imposed on you from law school.

I've noticed the workload to be much lighter. WTF do you guys go to school?

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 pm

As a 2L, not on a journal and taking a relatively easy course load, I say life can be pretty good if you can handle the anxiety of being jobless.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

c3pO4 wrote:as a 2l, you don't do shit all semester, coast, and then barely study for finals. then show up and deliver what would be a D performance on your final as 1L, but get a B.

I hope this is true. Because I'm scared.

But part of me secretly hopes to fail all my classes and taste the freedom!!!

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I know this may sound like a silly question, but how is 2L in comparison to 1L? I've heard the ole adage "1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death." What's your work load like, how does it differ from 1L?

More work & more booze.

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:38 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:
c3pO4 wrote:as a 2l, you don't do shit all semester, coast, and then barely study for finals. then show up and deliver what would be a D performance on your final as 1L, but get a B.

I hope this is true. Because I'm scared.

But part of me secretly hopes to fail all my classes and taste the freedom!!!

i dont think this is actually true.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:03 pm

traehekat wrote:Man, I feel like the only one that hasn't had a rough time with journal. Granted it's not LR, but I can't imagine there is such a huge difference in workload from LR to secondary journals.

Agreed that journal isn't that bad.

However, the job search is both more physically and emotionally draining then all of 1L was. I'm seriously elated that I came out of it happy, but it was touch-and-go for a while. Plus, next semester my schedule is really really killer in terms of workload.

Also, yeah, the whole (and mostly irrational) "fear of being no-offered due to grades".

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Best part about journal - controlled-access staff room to study in. No stressed-out 1L's, and much, much quieter than library.

Indifferent

Postby Indifferent » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm

kalvano wrote:Best part about journal - controlled-access staff room to study in. No stressed-out 1L's, and much, much quieter than library.

So credited.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:35 pm

2L at TTT is shit. The school already dropped the bottom 1/3 of the class, so the competition is higher. Plus, no one has a job, so everyone is shooting for #1.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”