From the greener side Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
holdencaulfield

Bronze

From the greener side

Post by holdencaulfield » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:19 pm

To cheer up everyone going through finals, I would just like remind you what you are working for and let you know that it will all pay off in the end (at least for some of you). This comes in the form of how much I love being a lawyer:

I just finished billing 10 hrs today. Sounds bad right? No. Being a lawyer is awesome; I work with great people and get a variety of work as a first year associate. This week is filled with client conferences, complex litigation research assignments, my first hearing, and yes...some doc review. Coffee is brought to me by legal assistant (although I do have to share her with another associate), I have a $400 office chair that I picked out my first day, and I actually enjoy what I do.

After work, there are no casebooks waiting at home, just a cold beer and my kick-ass dog. I will never have to eat ramen again (although sometimes it just sounds good). It's an odd feeling to suddenly go from below the poverty line to having more disposable income than the majority of my friends' parents. I'm currently working on a nice nest egg, but it feels good to go to BestBuy or Nordstoms and actually have purchasing power. More important than everything else, I can provide security for my parents and family if they ever need it.

The best part? It's only up hill from here.

I don't mean to come off arrogant, or as a douche....just letting you all know that the journey is worth it.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: From the greener side

Post by kalvano » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Assuming you don't bomb your exams and are able to get a job at all.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:21 pm

I certainly hope big law firm life doesn't drain this positivity out of you because its a rare and valuable asset. Glad things are going smoothly for you.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Grats on achieving biglaw.

anonymcoffee

Bronze

Post by anonymcoffee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:48 am

this post isn't for "everyone." what you said didn't cheer me up, just made studying more miserable knowing it's worthless.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:49 am

holdencaulfield wrote:To cheer up everyone going through finals, I would just like remind you what you are working for and let you know that it will all pay off in the end (at least for some of you). This comes in the form of how much I love being a lawyer:

I just finished billing 10 hrs today. Sounds bad right? No. Being a lawyer is awesome; I work with great people and get a variety of work as a first year associate. This week is filled with client conferences, complex litigation research assignments, my first hearing, and yes...some doc review. Coffee is brought to me by legal assistant (although I do have to share her with another associate), I have a $400 office chair that I picked out my first day, and I actually enjoy what I do.

After work, there are no casebooks waiting at home, just a cold beer and my kick-ass dog. I will never have to eat ramen again (although sometimes it just sounds good). It's an odd feeling to suddenly go from below the poverty line to having more disposable income than the majority of my friends' parents. I'm currently working on a nice nest egg, but it feels good to go to BestBuy or Nordstoms and actually have purchasing power. More important than everything else, I can provide security for my parents and family if they ever need it.

I don't mean to come off arrogant, or as a douche....just letting you all know that the journey is worth it.
I for one appreciated this! Thanks for the pick me up dude.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 am

^^^ Agreed. thanks for this!

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm

Amen, brother.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:24 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:....just letting you all know that the journey is worth it.
Anything you can add to how you connected the dots? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Right on broski! Out of curiosity, this "first hearing" - will you be arguing a motion in federal court, or what do you mean exactly? Is it part of a pro bono case or one of your actual cases?

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:22 pm

anonymcoffee wrote:this post isn't for "everyone." what you said didn't cheer me up, just made studying more miserable knowing it's worthless.
For sure, my guess is at least 1/3 of all law school students (perhaps more) are not in a mental state to want to pat someone else on the back for achieving what they didn't/won't.

Nonetheless, congrats, glad it worked out for you, and I hope it works out for as many others as possible.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 pm

At no point did he say Biglaw is the dream job for everyone, merely that being a lawyer (the end result of law school) is actually kind of fun.

Grapes

New

Post by Grapes » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:18 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about something else that is "green/" :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TempleU555555

New

Post by TempleU555555 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:To cheer up everyone going through finals, I would just like remind you what you are working for and let you know that it will all pay off in the end (at least for some of you). This comes in the form of how much I love being a lawyer:

Where did you go to school, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:01 am

kalvano wrote:At no point did he say Biglaw is the dream job for everyone, merely that being a lawyer (the end result of law school) is actually kind of fun.
Well a significant portion of his post was dedicated to how much disposable income he had and how diverse his work is.

You won't get 1 or 2 in doc review.

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:02 am

<-- Happy to be a doc review monkey making 160k.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:15 am

FUBAR wrote:<-- Happy to be a doc review monkey making 160k.
First year associate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:28 am

kalvano wrote:At no point did he say Biglaw is the dream job for everyone, merely that being a lawyer (the end result of law school) is actually kind of fun.

This. Just wanted to pick you guys up, and provide a positive story to battle the countless negative ones out there. I suppose I will field a few questions too.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:30 am

Renne Walker wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:....just letting you all know that the journey is worth it.
Anything you can add to how you connected the dots? Thanks.

First, I must confess I'm not biglaw. I'm at a boutique/midsize firm and make 75% of market.

To answer your question: networking and luck. I did not land my job at OCI.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Post by holdencaulfield » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 am

johndhi wrote:Right on broski! Out of curiosity, this "first hearing" - will you be arguing a motion in federal court, or what do you mean exactly? Is it part of a pro bono case or one of your actual cases?
It was a hearing with a regulatory commission that would probably sound very lame. However, it was for a real, paying client.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:58 am

Do you do IP?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”