Quick ALWD question on statutory citation

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
arvcondor

Quick ALWD question on statutory citation

Postby arvcondor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:32 pm

First, fuck ALWD.

Second, the draft my professor handed me back (which is due early tomorrow) said I needed citations where intuitively you wouldn't put them. What I had was something like this (where I say "section," assume the section symbol):

"According to section 7611, 'quote quote.'" What she wrote in the draft was 'quote quote.' CITE."

My thinking was that I JUST named the statute. Do I name it again? Do I write, "According to section 7611, 'quote quote. Section 7611." ?

Thanks a lot for any help.

jessuf

Re: Quick ALWD question on statutory citation

Postby jessuf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:41 pm

wow @ you using alwd

i'm assuming you've already cited this statute in full in your paper earlier and are now just referring to it again.

alwd says that the only time you do not place a citation after a sentence is when the statute has been clearly identified in the sentence. you did not clearly identify it because i have no idea what statute you're referring to. 14.6 tells you how to do a short citation.

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:50 pm

What I did was, earlier, specify that all future statutory references are to the California Family Code, which she instructed us to do. Therefore, when I say "section 7611," it automatically refers to the family code. Am I, after the sentence, supposed to put Cal. Fam. Code section 7611, even though I reference the statute within the sentence?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:56 am

What she meant was, don't start the sentence off with "According to § XXX,..." Just state the content and cite it right after.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”