Anxiety threatening to overwhelm me Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Peg

Bronze

Anxiety threatening to overwhelm me

Post by Peg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:05 pm

Did a practice Crim Law exam today and busted out with all my GTM and LEEWS moves. Then I met with my study group to go over the Crim Law exam (we all did it separately) and compare our answers. I swear every single one of them is either naturally good at law exams or else they've done GTM and LEEWS too, because they caught almost all the issues that I caught, even the ones that I thought were cool and tricky, and one of them had an insight that I didn't have.

I started freaking out quietly. There's nothing I can do about my classmates' study habits but it just disheartens me to know that, even if I have the BLL memorized cold, they do too. Even if I did LEEWS and GTM, it looks like they did too. I went to office hours, they went to office hours. I printed out past exams, they printed out past exams. We probably even have similar outlines. The only good thing I heard today was that I finished my practice exam during the time limit, while a couple of them gave themselves a little leeway with time.

I just feel like...what's the point? How much more can you do to rank high, besides everything? I did all this work and now I feel like I'm probably going to be at median, because everyone else is running neck and neck with me at the very least, and some yet-anonymous superstar in my class probably developed magical typing speed over the course of the semester.

My morale is as low as it's ever been. I feel so unprepared and basically just wanted to cry when I left my study group. I don't know how I can pull this off next week.

Gold

Re: Anxiety threatening to overwhelm me

Post by 03121202698008 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:08 pm

A large portion of who gets what has to do with how you handle the stress and planning your time wisely. Lots of people know the BLL but then panic on the test and forget/miss stuff. Don't worry so much.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:28 pm

Peg wrote:Even if I have the BLL memorized cold, they do too. Even if I did LEEWS and GTM, it looks like they did too. I went to office hours, they went to office hours. I printed out past exams, they printed out past exams. We probably even have similar outlines.
This is why you don't go to a law school where median students get lifepwned.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

I'm having a similar panic attack at this moment. I feel like I've tried so hard, I feel like I fully understand most everything and feel confident.... but then I go into the library and there are 100 people in the exact same boat. And then I get on Facebook and see that all the people I knew from high school graduated from college and got good jobs, are buying houses now, some are having kids, they're in a good place... and here I am in school, way in debt and with zero income. Entering into a profession that is over-saturated and soul-sucking... wtf am I doing? If I don't wind up near the top, what am I here for?!

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Don't sweat it, they admitted to giving themselves extra time, that means they spent all day on it. You would have found everything they did if you took as much time.

Also there are three types of law students; 1. Downplay how much they study to make you think they are naturally smarter than you in a way to psych you out, 2. Those that exagerate how much they study to make you think your behind in studying and missing something, also in an attempt to psych you out, and 3. The few who don't give a shit about psyching people out and just focus on whats important.

I suspect 3 will be the group that gets the A's
Last edited by Extension_Cord on Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

joobacca

Bronze

Post by joobacca » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:09 pm

i understand the panic. it's a competitive environment probably wherever you attend. i'm no shrink so i can't really give you much advice on how to deal with those issues. but i think it's important to know that whatever you do you want to be in top form on exam day. so find a solution to whatever problems you got. otherwise, if you're not firing at a high rate on exam day, then everything you've suffered has been mostly wasted.

finally, find a good hornbook and take practice exams.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:11 pm

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:36 pm

Crim's probably just going to have a tight curve. The issues a pretty straight forward (oh look, that guy got shot). Don't freak out about it. For all you know, they took 8 hours to prepare the exam and did it open book (don't know if your exam is open/closed, didn't check if you said). It's easy to catch everything with no pressure on. The question is can you do it under timed conditions. It's so hard not to this time of the year, but seriously just ignore what everyone else is doing and do what works for you. It sounds like you are on the right track, know your shit, and know how to take a test.

Deep breath, leave the studying for an hour or so, go run and make a good meal, and then come back to it. Suriously, I can't stress it enough. Got me through finals these past years and its the best advice i've gotten and completely works. Freaking out = time to walk away for a bit. You'll do much better when you get back.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Instead of panicking, for those of you who have study groups: do yourself a favor and learn from your study group. It's not about who knows the most; it's about everyone helping each other to fill in the gaps, because people are going to catch different things on PT's. My study group last year was absolutely invaluable and awesome and y'all should be rooting for each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:21 pm

The BLL is easy for crim. You've got to know what policy kink your prof wants and hammer that on the exam. I thought I had crushed it and, well, didn't.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:34 pm

It might be that you guys are the ones who are going to get the As. Remember there are more than just a few. Just focus on what you need to do and do your best. That is all you can really do. I was going through this freakout stage not too long ago, but I sat back and remembered that what happens happens and it isn't really in my control. You are going to get the grade that you're going to get and you can't really do anything about it.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Yeah, Crim Law is easy and that's why the curve is so tight. I know I should be rooting for my study partners, and generally I do - I mean, I do like them as people. But I also know that that the curve is the curve.

I called my boyfriend to vent, and he basically said the same thing as one of the above posts: "Put blinkers on, let everyone else run the race, and just ignore them." Easier said than done!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:45 pm

1) Your group might just be filled with gunners, especially since it's people who are willing to associate you with, a tsler, and therefore a presumed gunner.

2) Even if they spotted all the issues, they might not be arguing both sides. In Crim, spotting the issues isn't the hard part. There are like 3 crimes, and each have a set of elements. Each one is an issue.

3) Everyone in your entire class will know BLL, and most will understand the gist of GTM (even if they haven't read it). The latter is especially true if they had midterms.

4) Law exams are like golf. You are technically competing with each other, but you score your points against the course, not the other players. You can only control your game. Just worry about maximizing it.

5) Most people end up at median, and there is a good likely hood you will be there or worse. I know several people who absolutely gunned it and get up below median. They did GTM, read all the supps, went to office hours.

6) Maybe you all are missing some issues.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 pm

They may have spotted all the issues you spotted, but did they analyze as well as you did? Did you have time to read over their exams?

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote: 5) Most people end up at median, and there is a good likely hood you will be there or worse. I know several people who absolutely gunned it and get up below median. They did GTM, read all the supps, went to office hours.
Don't say that.
They may have spotted all the issues you spotted, but did they analyze as well as you did? Did you have time to read over their exams?
Lol, they're gunners, I don't want to put them on edge by asking if I can actually look at what they wrote. But yeah, I'm pretty sure we all had different arguments even though we spotted the same issues, good point.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:46 pm

I am feeling pretty anxious as well -- mainly because of looking at my professors' incredibly difficult previous exams. Want to hug it out?

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:47 pm

ph14 wrote:I am feeling pretty anxious as well -- mainly because of looking at my professors' incredibly difficult previous exams. Want to hug it out?
*HUG*

Yeah, my contracts professor has some horrible, horrible practice exams. I feel you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:50 pm

ph14 wrote:I am feeling pretty anxious as well -- mainly because of looking at my professors' incredibly difficult previous exams. Want to hug it out?
Yeah, but aren't you at Harvard? You could kill children and be last in your class and still get a job.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:54 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Yeah, but aren't you at Harvard? You could kill children and be last in your class and still get a job.
I don't intend to test your theory out.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 am

Peg wrote:Lol, they're gunners, I don't want to put them on edge by asking if I can actually look at what they wrote. But yeah, I'm pretty sure we all had different arguments even though we spotted the same issues, good point.
If you didn't see their exams, don't assume anything. After my crimlaw midterm, almost everyone said it was easy and they spotted all the issues. Most of them got a median grade due to analysis or lack thereof. I ended up with one of the few As that was given for that exam. The difference was, as you guessed it, the analysis. If you don't know the amount/extent of your peers' analysis (or if they even had any), you are just unduly speculating and being paranoid and should have a beer. From my limited viewpoint of 1L exams so far, it seems to go like this: Rules/BLL (99% will know it) -> Issues (50%+ will spot a majority or all the issues) -> Analysis (5-10% will have good analysis)
Last edited by adonai on Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:07 am

This thread needs a "Welcome to TLS" meme.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:12 am

adonai wrote:
Peg wrote:Lol, they're gunners, I don't want to put them on edge by asking if I can actually look at what they wrote. But yeah, I'm pretty sure we all had different arguments even though we spotted the same issues, good point.
If you didn't see their exams, don't assume anything. After my crimlaw midterm, almost everyone said it was easy and they spotted all the issues. Most of them got a median grade due to analysis or lack thereof. I ended up with one of the few As that was given for that exam. The difference was, as you guessed it, the analysis. If you don't know the amount/extent of your peers' analysis (or if they even had any), you are just unduly speculating and being paranoid and should have a beer.
Being paranoid is what 1L is about. Get in the spirit.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 am

ph14 wrote:
adonai wrote:
If you didn't see their exams, don't assume anything. After my crimlaw midterm, almost everyone said it was easy and they spotted all the issues. Most of them got a median grade due to analysis or lack thereof. I ended up with one of the few As that was given for that exam. The difference was, as you guessed it, the analysis. If you don't know the amount/extent of your peers' analysis (or if they even had any), you are just unduly speculating and being paranoid and should have a beer.
Being paranoid is what 1L is about. Get in the spirit.
I went through that phase already. I've learned how to shut it out. At this point in the semester, there's really no hope for improvement gradewise so why worry.

TheFutureLawyer

Gold

Post by TheFutureLawyer » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:28 am

Hey, OP. Chill. I'm way behind you, and I'm sure some other people in your section are too. 4 exams to study for (first in one week), and I've only gotten so far as reviewing my notes for each and updating old outlines. From this point, I get three days to study for each exam. Also, my memo sucks, apparently. I am the one who gets to feel fucked.

jess

Post by jess » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:35 am

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”