Do sites like this scare anyone else?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Zazelmaf

Do sites like this scare anyone else?

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:06 pm

There are so many of these 'scamblogs' popping up on the internet. Some of the people, like the guy on http://lawschoolfail.blogspot.com makes me wonder if law school is something I should have never done in the first place. I used to think those sites, like T14 Paradise were full of crap, but now I am scared. I am in the middle of 2L and feeling lethargic myself and can't help but wonder if this stuff is the truth, and we are just trying to fool ourselves into thinking it's not.

Doritos

Re: Do sites like this scare anyone else?

Postby Doritos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:44 pm

Do you have a jerb?

If you are a 2L why should a blog saying "Dont go to law school you wont get a job" scare you? If biglaw was your goal that ship has largely sailed if you don't have an SA at this point.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:19 pm

SA?

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:SA?

obvious troll is obvious

truevines

Postby truevines » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:There are so many of these 'scamblogs' popping up on the internet. Some of the people, like the guy on http://lawschoolfail.blogspot.com makes me wonder if law school is something I should have never done in the first place. I used to think those sites, like T14 Paradise were full of crap, but now I am scared. I am in the middle of 2L and feeling lethargic myself and can't help but wonder if this stuff is the truth, and we are just trying to fool ourselves into thinking it's not.

You're 2L. Why does this scare you?

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:03 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:

obvious troll is obvious

I am not trolling.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:05 pm

If you have a job, why would the site scare you? If you don't have a job, then some web site should be the last of your worries.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:29 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

obvious troll is obvious

I am not trolling.

Obvious troll denies trolling. Not sure if I believe him.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

Well my school has a 98% employment rate and the average salary is $100k, so I'm going to be ok.

lottery

Postby lottery » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:56 pm

summer associate

Postby 20130312 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:58 pm

lottery wrote:

summer associate

Nice first post!

texaslawyer

Postby texaslawyer » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:11 pm

No.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:03 pm

As with all questions legal, the answer is "It depends."

It depends on your student loan debt and whether you can get a good enough salary quickly enough to service it. It depends on the locale where you wish to practice. It depends on what you want to do with your career.

I can tell you that there ARE jobs for new lawyers where I live, the Southwest. I can also tell you that few, if any, start in six, or even high, five figures. I can tell you that young lawyers of my acquaintance have found similar jobs in other more rural parts of the country even since the Crash. But I also know young lawyers with some experience in the Northeast for whom any kind of legal job at all is very hard to get.

Best advice would be to start researching employment markets NOW rather than waiting until after you are holding a very expensive diploma in one hand and a Sallie Mae dun in the other. If you really want to work in the law and are willing to go where the job is, you should find something reasonable.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:16 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:As with all questions legal, the answer is "It depends."

It depends on your student loan debt and whether you can get a good enough salary quickly enough to service it. It depends on the locale where you wish to practice. It depends on what you want to do with your career.

I can tell you that there ARE jobs for new lawyers where I live, the Southwest. I can also tell you that few, if any, start in six, or even high, five figures. I can tell you that young lawyers of my acquaintance have found similar jobs in other more rural parts of the country even since the Crash. But I also know young lawyers with some experience in the Northeast for whom any kind of legal job at all is very hard to get.

Best advice would be to start researching employment markets NOW rather than waiting until after you are holding a very expensive diploma in one hand and a Sallie Mae dun in the other. If you really want to work in the law and are willing to go where the job is, you should find something reasonable.

Stop! You're scaring me. :cry:

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:16 pm

It is not at all my intention to scare anyone; I am not a scamblogger. But I do think law students and potential law students should have a clear, realistic career plan before borrowing $130,000 and spending three years of their lives in the pursuit of a law degree. The project is just too big and costly to do "on spec".

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:It is not at all my intention to scare anyone; I am not a scamblogger. But I do think law students and potential law students should have a clear, realistic career plan before borrowing $130,000 and spending three years of their lives in the pursuit of a law degree. The project is just too big and costly to do "on spec".

I don't think you've read about the earth shattering Cravath bonuses that were handed out recently. If ever law school was a sure thing...

somethingdemure

Postby somethingdemure » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:05 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:It is not at all my intention to scare anyone; I am not a scamblogger. But I do think law students and potential law students should have a clear, realistic career plan before borrowing $130,000 and spending three years of their lives in the pursuit of a law degree. The project is just too big and costly to do "on spec".

The median starting salary at most top law schools is like 160k. That's like, less than one year to pay off the loans. For at least half the students. You do the math.

The real question is why law schools don't cost more like 500k to more accurately reflect the value.

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:06 pm

somethingdemure wrote:

The median starting salary at most top law schools is like 160k. That's like, less than one year to pay off the loans. For at least half the students. You do the math.

The real question is why law schools don't cost more like 500k to more accurately reflect the value.

Either you are trolling incredibly hard or you just don't understand taxes / life.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
somethingdemure wrote:

Either you are trolling incredibly hard or you just don't understand taxes / life.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:11 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Either you are trolling incredibly hard or you just don't understand taxes / life.

Relevant

cidergirl

Postby cidergirl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm

somethingdemure wrote:

define top law schools? also the 98 and 99% employment stats are significantly boosted by schools giving fellowships to the 25% or so of the class that can't find a job coming out of a t14 law school. just saying

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 pm

Aren't you the guy who didn't get a 1l summer job and transferred to a TTTT for personal reasons. You should be scared.

somethingdemure

Postby somethingdemure » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:11 pm

Doritos wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
somethingdemure wrote:

I know!

Postby 20130312 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:Aren't you the guy who didn't get a 1l summer job and transferred to a TTTT for personal reasons. You should be scared.

Relevant

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:49 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:Aren't you the guy who didn't get a 1l summer job and transferred to a TTTT for personal reasons. You should be scared.

Relevant

Well, after reading that thread and this one, I am fucking terrified for OP.

:shock: :shock:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”