Common Law vs UCC Flowchart/ Comparative Analysis?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
lawschoolproblems86

Common Law vs UCC Flowchart/ Comparative Analysis?

Postby lawschoolproblems86 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:52 pm

Does anybody know where I could find a good simple flowchart that compares Common Law and UCC, step by step. I have been sitting here trying to create one for the last 3 hours and it is driving me crazy. I would really like to look at one and model off of it. I've seen other flowcharts that show them individually, but I am more looking for one that does a step by step comparative analysis of both.

joobacca

Re: Common Law vs UCC Flowchart/ Comparative Analysis?

Postby joobacca » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:08 pm

lawschoolproblems86 wrote:Does anybody know where I could find a good simple flowchart that compares Common Law and UCC, step by step. I have been sitting here trying to create one for the last 3 hours and it is driving me crazy. I would really like to look at one and model off of it. I've seen other flowcharts that show them individually, but I am more looking for one that does a step by step comparative analysis of both.

hmm, not trying to be a dick, but i don't really see the value in that. if a problem is about a sale of goods, then use ucc. if not, use common law. and ucc, if i remember correctly, uses common law. there are some differences, i think, like statute of frauds, interpretation/parole evidence (but ucc method is used in some common law jurisdiction), and maybe offer/acceptance in the battle of forms context.

ucc is pretty simple. the rules are right there for the most part.

why do you want a side by side comparison?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:04 pm

I have a side by side comparison as in restatement number vs. UCC by topic. Its mostly helpful for citations. If you'd like it, I can email it to you.

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:27 am

If you think your prof is testing in a way that having a side by side comparison will be useful, make it yourself. I don't think it's useful for most contracts exams though.

chwjmu114

Postby chwjmu114 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:20 pm

I would love to see a chart simply so I can cite things correctly on the exam. I know when the UCC applies, but sometimes I think of a rule and can't remember if that's from the Rest. 2d or UCC. Any charts would be greatly appreciated.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:14 pm

the only place in 1st year k's that i can remember where UCC and Common Law coincided in a meaningful way was in 2-207 and something about the mirror image rule but that was a year ago and I don't remember the specifics. there are flow charts galore out there though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”