Understanding Criminal Law - 2006 edition?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Understanding Criminal Law - 2006 edition?

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:56 am

The 2006 edition is like 6 bucks compared to 40 for the 2009 edition. Think it will be ok? I dont know about crim law.

http://product.half.ebay.com/Understand ... 59&tg=info

luckyduck

Re: Understanding Criminal Law - 2006 edition?

Postby luckyduck » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:26 pm

It's the edition I used last year and I aced the exam. My prof was heavy policy though so I don't know if that makes a difference.

The Valkyrie

Postby The Valkyrie » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Go for it. I got older versions of books many times to save money. It was a bit annoying having slightly different page numbers but most of the time it was totally chill

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:31 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:Go for it. I got older versions of books many times to save money. It was a bit annoying having slightly different page numbers but most of the time it was totally chill

Yeah, Im just getting it as a supplement anyways.

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Use the Lexis outline of this book, too. The Lexis outline for Crim is just basically an outline of the Understanding book by Dressler. I really like the Lexis outline, since it basically just breaks each crime down into the elements.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:45 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Use the Lexis outline of this book, too. The Lexis outline for Crim is just basically an outline of the Understanding book by Dressler. I really like the Lexis outline, since it basically just breaks each crime down into the elements.

I actually have the LaFave book, but I heard the Dressler book is better even for the LaFave casebook.

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:20 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Use the Lexis outline of this book, too. The Lexis outline for Crim is just basically an outline of the Understanding book by Dressler. I really like the Lexis outline, since it basically just breaks each crime down into the elements.

I actually have the LaFave book, but I heard the Dressler book is better even for the LaFave casebook.

Ah, I actually thought that the only Understanding book for crim was by Dressler. The Dressler book is fantastic. It's easy to work with, the elements are all laid out for you and, as mentioned, Lexis has a really nice outline of the book up on their site. Honestly, you could probably just use the free outline rather than buying/reading the book. Lexis leaves out most of the policy from the book, but a lot of the policy is pretty much self-explanatory or at least easy to figure out.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:46 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

Ah, I actually thought that the only Understanding book for crim was by Dressler. The Dressler book is fantastic. It's easy to work with, the elements are all laid out for you and, as mentioned, Lexis has a really nice outline of the book up on their site. Honestly, you could probably just use the free outline rather than buying/reading the book. Lexis leaves out most of the policy from the book, but a lot of the policy is pretty much self-explanatory or at least easy to figure out.

It is the only Understanding book for Crim, LaFaves is similar but has a different publisher. People were saying it was difficult to get through and Dressler was articulated the ideas more clearly. It was only $5.50 including shipping, not going to sweat it.

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:28 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote:

It is the only Understanding book for Crim, LaFaves is similar but has a different publisher. People were saying it was difficult to get through and Dressler was articulated the ideas more clearly. It was only $5.50 including shipping, not going to sweat it.

Dressler's is fantastic. I actually think the LaFave book is a bit easier to understand, though. It's bigger and more intimidating looking, but I think the writing is a bit clearer. My prof loves Dressler and is very BLL oriented; main reason I went the Dressler route.

Extension_Cord

Postby Extension_Cord » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 pm

joncrooshal wrote:Dressler's is fantastic. I actually think the LaFave book is a bit easier to understand, though. It's bigger and more intimidating looking, but I think the writing is a bit clearer. My prof loves Dressler and is very BLL oriented; main reason I went the Dressler route.

Which casebook did you use?

Postby 23402385985 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:Dressler's is fantastic. I actually think the LaFave book is a bit easier to understand, though. It's bigger and more intimidating looking, but I think the writing is a bit clearer. My prof loves Dressler and is very BLL oriented; main reason I went the Dressler route.

Which casebook did you use?

The Moenssens book. Mainly because one of my professor's (Ashdown) co-wrote it.

skamike

Postby skamike » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:38 am

I also had the LaFave casebook last year and Dressler's 2006 Supp. It was actually one of the better casebooks I've used.

but, to the point: you'll be fine with the 2006 Dressler.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”